Government Motors

klein

Für Meno :)
I agree with all you guys...
They should have left all 3 North American car makers go under. (Ford would have had to, because the suppliers would have gone bankrupt as well).

Let all cars be imported.
Can't compete in the long term aways.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hey, smart guy. Did you know that 1 in 10 jobs in the USA are directly tied to the auto industry? If we had let 2 of the Big 3 go under, there would have been a multiplier effect that probably would have resulted in a depression instead of a severe recession. What would your "Free Market" have done to correct the massive job losses and tremendous impact to the discretionary spending which our economy depends?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
survival of the fittest.
bad or poorly managed companies will fail, that's a fact.
bailing out poorly managed companies only prolong the down fall.
better to get it over with quickly.

bbsam

Staff member
"...better to get it over with quickly."
Can you give us examples of times when this was the case? Or are you just saying that you don't like the government bailing out companies and prefer to let them fail quickly no matter what the ramifications for the rest of the economy. I really think you are just repeating talking points with nothing to back it up.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"...better to get it over with quickly."
Can you give us examples of times when this was the case? Or are you just saying that you don't like the government bailing out companies and prefer to let them fail quickly no matter what the ramifications for the rest of the economy. I really think you are just repeating talking points with nothing to back it up.
Sun Rubber Co. Barberton, Ohio.....failing and went out of business when the union people insisted on more than the company could do.....so, they all lost their jobs when the company went under. Nobody rescued them......that's not a talking point. It's true and I saw it happen. It was the natural consequences. Sun Rubber toys and dolls today are collector's items on E-Bay.

There are many factors in why the "Big Three" were/are in such trouble. Not so great management, government regulations out the wazoo(some hindered American auto makers and some helped foreign auto makers at the same time), the UAW and the American car buyers were all contributors.

bbsam

Staff member
Sun Rubber Co. Barberton, Ohio.....failing and went out of business when the union people insisted on more than the company could do.....so, they all lost their jobs when the company went under. Nobody rescued them......that's not a talking point. It's true and I saw it happen. It was the natural consequences. Sun Rubber toys and dolls today are collector's items on E-Bay.

But you are saying it was better to let that happen than to save an industry that employs 1 in 10 Americans. How do you know it's better that way? What made it better for Sun Rubber? How much impact did that have on the national economy? Not 1 in 10 jobs I would guess.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Natural consequences have been around forever.......because they are rescued by parents, our kids today don't experience the natural consequences of their behavior. Same with businesses. How careful will they be with planning & budget if they know they'll be 'rescued' anyway?

We see it in the animal kingdom all the time.......herd thinning, survival of the fittest, etc.

Buddybrown

Why must there be a “do over” of sorts or a “make good” because the consequences were so large? Make note, the employees at the auto makers, Bear Stearns or the 100's of banks that have failed didn’t make a mistake, they all made a choice. This doesn’t mean they're bad people, and it doesn’t mean they're “losers” after all, by most accounts, these employees that lost their jobs were honest, fair, hard working folks. The truth is, your choices matter but the world keeps telling you they don’t. Everyone wants a good high paying job and when things go wrong some want a bail out, they feel entitled not willing to start over or even begin in some cases. This is the same with all things in life…the physical, the financial, the emotional and the spiritual…if you don’t invest in them, if you don’t make the right choices, you will lose out. Physically, if you don’t exercise, eat well, treat your body right – you won’t be healthy, plain and simple. So you do, in most cases reap what you so............

bbsam

Staff member
Natural consequences have been around forever.......because they are rescued by parents, our kids today don't experience the natural consequences of their behavior. Same with businesses. How careful will they be with planning & budget if they know they'll be 'rescued' anyway?

We see it in the animal kingdom all the time.......herd thinning, survival of the fittest, etc.

For some reason we strive for something better than the animal kingdom. If not, nuclear holocaust would have ended us all long ago.
"Same with business?" Not really. Not when the world economies are interconnected. Your kitchen table economics fail to make any sense in world-wide circles and will always lead you back to senseless, unworkable, Palinesque answers.

moreluck

golden ticket member
So with your way of thinking....spending uncontrollably is AOK with you?? I'll take the Huckabee-esque economics anyday over wasteful spending.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I suggest you look at some old post about UPS having a training class for new drivers; where they were taught how to walk on ice , how to properly fall.
It is a direct result of not letting kids fail.

It's because of whimpy parents who think that giving a kid a prize for showing up is great, where every game has all winners since no score is kept.
When failure is not an option, then nobody does their best.

bbsam

Staff member
So with your way of thinking....spending uncontrollably is AOK with you?? I'll take the Huckabee-esque economics anyday over wasteful spending.

(yawn) Wake me when you get to the meaningful cuts. This whole ridiculous notion that all government spending is "waste fraud and abuse" plays well for the Foxtrotters, but it's simply not true.

Buddybrown

Your kitchen table economics fail to make any sense in world-wide circles and will always lead you back to senseless, unworkable, Palinesque answers.

What is it about Palin that scares them :censored2:less? :) By the way your demeaning approach KTE is something your side just doesn't get. I'd rather have kitchen table economics than BHO theatrics....:)

wkmac

For some reason we strive for something better than the animal kingdom. If not, nuclear holocaust would have ended us all long ago.
"Same with business?" Not really. Not when the world economies are interconnected. Your kitchen table economics fail to make any sense in world-wide circles and will always lead you back to senseless, unworkable, Palinesque answers.

I'm gonna defend Moreluck a bit on this one as she does have part of the equation right IMO. Economics do have intended and unintended consequences and she is correct that if you cover bad choices, you are only going to get more bad choices and the effects later are even worse as the problem is now compounded. Gov't has completely tainted the entire market process and has done so almost from day one the country started. However, it's esculated to unimaginable heights now because both parties play the game of central planning. The death grip of oil on this country is a perfect example. Had there always been a free and open market for all forms and manner of energy, you would not see a one size fits all approach that we have which in turn forces us to chase so-called bad guys across the globe as a ruse so that the real effort to control energy resources for the central plan can be maintained. Also a cafeteria of energy options would not serve the gov't well as it's taxing model would be required to be so diverse. Then again a diverse energy model might also not have so may cars on the roads and maybe not even so many roads either but that's another discussion.
:peaceful:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
survival of the fittest.
bad or poorly managed companies will fail, that's a fact.
bailing out poorly managed companies only prolong the down fall.
better to get it over with quickly.

Darwinism. But aren't you all Creationists over on the Right? More hypocrisy.