Ground Drivers Rate Of Pay?

DorkHead

It's s negotiated rate from one ISP to another and paid per stop and fluctuates by percentage with a base fuel cost reelative to geographical location.

Does the base fuel cost increase or decrease with the market changes? How often is it adjusted?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Maybe Ground has contract-shill opportunities. You'll be a non-employee with no benefits working for peanuts. Since you advocate for this perhaps you should go for it.

Since you've shown that you're not smart enough to leave what you portray as an abusive work environment , I figured you'd have signed up for it already.

Schlepper

To the OP, the rate of pay varies so wildly that you won't ever be able to get a concrete answer. Here's a prime example - I know one HD driver that gets 725 a week and another that gets 400. Their routes are so similar that you could consider them to be identical. It varies from contractor to contractor. If your contractor is, how shall we say, motivated solely by the bottom-line...you'll probably be closer to the lower end of the scale. On the other hand, if your contractor values accurate deliveries and consistantly high service you could be worth the extra money if you're up to the task. It's a roll of the dice.

HomeDelivery

agrees with 5... that's why i ask around while covering other people's routes.

some routes that are 1.5-2 hours from the barn to the first stop requires extra pay, while others that are just 5 minutes away from the barn will benefit with by-the-stop pay. My last week as a FT swing/cover has 3 hours of just driving to & from the service area. If i was being paid hourly by the temp agency, I'd have $60 additional pay per day for that & with sort/load time...

most HD drivers are getting smart and asking for a flat rate with a set minimum amount of stops, then additional per-stop pay if they get over-dispatched. I wish they factor in the load/sort time as well so we can at least get paid for sorting/loading our own vehicles... but then the profit margins will be as slim as Nick's (the nyc contractor)

Nick9075

some routes that are 1.5-2 hours from the barn to the first stop requires extra pay, while others that are just 5 minutes away from the barn will benefit with by-the-stop pay. My last week as a FT swing/cover has 3 hours of just driving to & from the service area. If i was being paid hourly by the temp agency, I'd have $60 additional pay per day for that & with sort/load time...

most HD drivers are getting smart and asking for a flat rate with a set minimum amount of stops, then additional per-stop pay if they get over-dispatched. I wish they factor in the load/sort time as well so we can at least get paid for sorting/loading our own vehicles... but then the profit margins will be as slim as Nick's (the nyc contractor)

How did you determine my profit margins?? Maybe they will be slim this year but that is because I am getting the route going

STFXG

How did you determine my profit margins?? Maybe they will be slim this year but that is because I am getting the route going

You said you're netting less than 1000 per week...

Nick9075

Things are picking up plus I have another job but it is only a temp contract where I don't receive benefits. Drivers get paid between $650 - $750, helpers around $450. On days where there is a large increase in volume will pay a little extra. Workers Comp is absurd and I don't even want to think about taxes for this year (both personal & business)..

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Since you've shown that you're not smart enough to leave what you portray as an abusive work environment , I figured you'd have signed up for it already.

I have ethics...you do not. I don't have strings attached to my hands and mouth, nor managment's hand up my ass like you do. Does your nose grow when you lie?

HomeDelivery

yea, i read that somewhere in another thread... that's pretty low for the northeast. single owner-ops are getting 50-60% return from their routes after expenses is what i've heard. it wasn't a low-blow to you at all.

if a contractor tries to pay express wages w/ benefits, you'll end up with nothing. forget about matching ups wages...

STFXG

Benefits aren't that bad actually. Rather than 1.2% x salary (for taxes, workers comp, unemployment) it's closer to 1.4%. Single guy cost around 5k and 15k for a family. So if you have them pay 30% the out of pocket is around $3500 for single and $10500 for a family.

Add in the tax credit (up to 35 percent of premiums) and the tax deductions for the rest of the cost and the out of pocket expense for providing them really isn't that bad...