Ground Taking My Express Freight

MassWineGuy

There's a FedEx Ground guy in one of the towns on my route who routinely picks up any Express items at his stops. Since he can't scan or process them, I'm lost as to why he does this. I don't think he can make money from them. I ran into him yesterday and asked him why. He told me not to bust his *****.

Is there something I don't know?

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Um get his truck # next time and report him. we shouldn't be touching that unless they're just returns that the customer doesnt care if it gets flown overnight...

I insist them to drop it off or call for an express pickup since we arent airline workers, but if they say it's not a rush, I'll take it to a dropbox on the way home~ i tell them to wait 24~48 hours before tracking it

MassWineGuy

Aside from taking care of his customers, I also have no idea why he would be doing this.

That's the only thing I could think of. Still, it adds at least one day to the delivery time since Express must retrieve it the next day.

The driver told me his name (who knows if he was lying), and another ground guy I know, a bud, gave me the terminal phone number. I handed this to a manager at my station. I'm sure it will be dealt with before the sun rises on Monday.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Occasionally I will get an Express envelope in one of my drop boxes. If I don't see one of the Express drivers on road I will drop it off at their station which is on the way back to our center. I don't like to penalize people for their inability to read.

STFXG

Express picks up from our buildings every night. It's not adding an extra day. We do it all the time. We don't get paid for it, just not worth the hassle to explain why we can't constantly.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Express picks up from our buildings every night. It's not adding an extra day. We do it all the time. We don't get paid for it, just not worth the hassle to explain why we can't constantly.

I know that Ground picks up from Express here every night but I don't know if it works the other way.

MAKAVELI

It will add an extra day if the pkg misses the cutoff time for the CTV or feeder.

It will be fine

I know that Ground picks up from Express here every night but I don't know if it works the other way.
Around here everyone picks up from everyone. Express and Ups come to Ground, we pickup from both etc etc. It's a pain when my guys go to ups and some shipper has accidentally put a whole skid or two of Ground volume in a ups trailer and we have to pick it all up.

MassWineGuy

We do have the ability to scan Express packages. i wonder where that could be heading...

Please explain precisely how you can scan Express stuff. Would you need to modify something? Ground people I know say they can't scan our freight. And I can't scan Ground. What would be the purpose of scanning Express? If you were asked this by your terminal manager what would you say, that you just like scanning things?

Is there a way to make Express items look like Ground as far as being paid per piece is concerned?

The problem is that customers shipping overnight with Express kind of expect their shipments to make it aboard our jet the same day.

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

Please explain precisely how you can scan Express stuff. Would you need to modify something? Ground people I know say they can't scan our freight. And I can't scan Ground. What would be the purpose of scanning Express? If you were asked this by your terminal manager what would you say, that you just like scanning things?

Is there a way to make Express items look like Ground as far as being paid per piece is concerned?
Express does have the ability to scan ground pkgs at a drop box to show possession. I imagine they have a similar function on their powerpad.

bbsam

Staff member

Have you tried lately? Can scan UPS, USPS, Express, all of it.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Occasionally I will get an Express envelope in one of my drop boxes. If I don't see one of the Express drivers on road I will drop it off at their station which is on the way back to our center. I don't like to penalize people for their inability to read.

That's kind of a no-no, Dave.

dex 84

It isn't worth the hassle of explaining why you can't take it, so I don't bother getting into too much detail but I don't take the package. The customer isn't looking for an explanation as to why we can't take the other opco's package, they're just fighting us on it because they want the package gone and on it's way and we're not doing that. I almost never give the full explanation, I just tell them they needed to schedule a ground pickup and that I can't take their package.

They get the picture when I'm walking out the door without the package while they're still trying to argue with me that I should be taking it. I can't be bothered...