Have all the drop frames been retired?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I'm pondering if all the drop frame trailers have been retired from regular usage? We had several in our yard as operational spares, but they hauled the last one away (to the scrap yard, I assume) recently. Nor do I see any more leased SWIFT trailers -- at the beginning of the year, we received a half-dozen 53' SWIFT every day, but now it's all Company equipment.

Picture 040.jpg
Picture 040.jpg

FilingBluesFL

When I left the unload, I heard they were retiring the drop frames, in favor of those ones with the halfway up the side of the trailer fold-down "shelves" or flooring things to keep the packages on the lower half of the trailer from being crushed by all the stuff stacked on top.

If you don't understand what I'm saying... neither do I lol

It's like the drop frame, minus the rollers in the middle, and no drop, just flaps that fold down about halfway up from the floor to keep things from getting mushed.

One time in a drop down pup, I found under the rollers a few long steel poles/tubes loaded under that cross brace just below the rollers. I wonder what the shipping info looked like for those packages, just perpetually going here and there and no one ever figuring it out. They were there for a while lol

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I see them on the road every now and then. Honestly I remember hating seeing a non drop trailer come in. That was days of rollers and t stands though. Now with extendos bring that 53' on.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm pondering if all the drop frame trailers have been retired from regular usage? We had several in our yard as operational spares, but they hauled the last one away (to the scrap yard, I assume) recently. Nor do I see any more leased SWIFT trailers -- at the beginning of the year, we received a half-dozen 53' SWIFT every day, but now it's all Company equipment.

View attachment 9359

​I remember those damn flaps popping you on the head if you did not get the latch on right.

View attachment 9359
I enjoyed getting hit in the head at 3:am with a door flap! I didn't think they used those dinosaurs anymore!!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
When I left the unload, I heard they were retiring the drop frames, in favor of those ones with the halfway up the side of the trailer fold-down "shelves" or flooring things to keep the packages on the lower half of the trailer from being crushed by all the stuff stacked on top. If you don't understand what I'm saying... neither do I lol It's like the drop frame, minus the rollers in the middle, and no drop, just flaps that fold down about halfway up from the floor to keep things from getting mushed.

I know what you're referring to. I saw quite a few of them in the mid-2000s, but now I only see one; obviously it floats within the region, because it shows up here frequently. I know it's the same trailer because somebody drew a giant picture of a penis in it. Sometimes they use the folding "shelves," sometimes they don't.

I see them on the road every now and then. Honestly I remember hating seeing a non drop trailer come in. That was days of rollers and t stands though. Now with extendos bring that 53' on.

I agree, but the extendos only go 32'. They recently bought us a pair of 42' extendos, but we're not allowed to place rollers on them since it may cause damage & void the warranty. They can't go 53', since it would require modifications to the building (the panels of the 42' reach the overhead door when fully retracted) so we have the hoof off the final 10'. Not fun. Especially when you get a trailer with boxes of paper realms taking up the entire final 10'.

I also know that around the country, many unload doors still use t-stands & rollers -- including large hubs. Anaheim and Columbus have been cited on here several times.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I know what you're referring to. I saw quite a few of them in the mid-2000s, but now I only see one; obviously it floats within the region, because it shows up here frequently. I know it's the same trailer because somebody drew a giant picture of a penis in it. Sometimes they use the folding "shelves," sometimes they don't.

I saw that mentioned in another thread except they referred to it as a 4 inch penis.

Hmmmmm ...

FilingBluesFL

I was lucky enough to only have one fall on my head, a couple of other close calls, though. Pinched fingers, and whatnot :(

I felt like God himself came down and touched me on the head when I got moved to the sort aisle. Happy, happy day lol

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I enjoyed getting hit in the head at 3:am with a door flap! I didn't think they used those dinosaurs anymore!!

I wanted to add: it's not a new picture. It was taken on my first day of employment, slightly more than 13 years ago. (Yeah, I was a dork but it was my first job...) Some friends and I were talking about them this morning, so I was pondering if they were still in use.

BTW, here's the same trailer later that day:
DSCF0143.JPG

Again, it was my first day and while I may look like a natural... trust me, you do not what to know / have to unload what's behind that wall. (And this a trailer of RTS packages loaded on the Preload, so it's going to a consumer.)

[In case anybody's wondering... my then-boss gave me permission to take the photos, since I was a high school co-op student and had to write written reports based on my work.]
DSCF0143.JPG

PT Car Washer

Started out loading package cars on the preload and when I would be late sent me to the unload as punishment. Ask if I could stay but said no, go wrap up your cars. Loved the sound of the rollers singing. 35lb weight limit back then.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Started out loading package cars on the preload and when I would be late sent me to the unload as punishment. Ask if I could stay but said no, go wrap up your cars. Loved the sound of the rollers singing. 35lb weight limit back then.

Four years ago I was sent to the unload as punishment, thus retaining my $1 "skilled" premium. When they tried to move me back to loading, I threatened to file a grievance. I liken it to the punishment Aresenio Hall received in Coming To America (forced to bathe with a group of really good looking women).

PT Car Washer

I did not think it was that great. Just loved not having to think for a change. And having Package Car drivers complaining about over dispatched.

Mr Shifter

We have a few that have been painted tan/brown for use at our hub. During peak we roll em out and use them to shuttle packages to a temporary box line for loading package cars.

I had a co worker who was quoted as once banging his head on the wall and cracking the wood paneling once in a fit of rage. (He was an ex wrestler). He admitted it to me and I believed him. Lol

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I did not think it was that great. Just loved not having to think for a change. And having Package Car drivers complaining about over dispatched.

I hated unloading drop frames. Many of the rollers were either corrupted, missing or "rusted" out thus you had to manually push packages toward the belt. But the extendo is an absolute dream.

We have a few that have been painted tan/brown for use at our hub. During peak we roll em out and use them to shuttle packages to a temporary box line for loading package cars.

Our drop frames (the ones "based" in our building) were also painted tan/brown, including a 48' drop frame. We used them primarily for retain, although they were also used as operational spares (rarely - we get 2x-3x the number of trailers that we build out). They just recently pulled the last one from the building. Not sure if it went to the scrap yard, or another facility.

tre305

Question, they have extendo's that ride the full length of a 53 footer? My Center has none and half way into those, the loaders have to stop, come out and get a set of rollers and t-stands to finish emptying it out. Im guessing ours only ride the full length of a regular pup

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Question, they have extendo's that ride the full length of a 53 footer? My Center has none and half way into those, the loaders have to stop, come out and get a set of rollers and t-stands to finish emptying it out. Im guessing ours only ride the full length of a regular pup

The standard extendos reach 32'. Most of our doors have integrated rollers that are stored adjacent to the rollers, easily slide and hook on/off, but they only reach an additional 10', so the remainder of the trailer is walked off. (The rollers/t-stands do not attach to these rollers.)

We recently got a pair of extendos that reach 42'. While I know they make 53' (and longer) extendos, I have no idea if UPS uses them. They said the reason ours could only reach 42' is because the additional panels of the 53', when stored, would reach beyond the dock & thus they weren't willing to spend $$$ modifying the building. While you could easily place a roller & t-stand on top the 42' so that it reaches all 53', we're asked not to -- at least for now -- since it may cause damage & void the warranty.