Have you heard of the Orion System, what do you know?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It is a bit confusing because one looks at UPS in a positive way and speaks about how to get the job done while the other hates UPS and lashes out all the time.

I dont hate UPS. Once again you display your total inability to distinguish hatred from honest criticism.

What I do hate...is policies that put well meaning employees (this includes management) in the "no win" situation that I have repeatedly criticized on this forum. It cant be good for the long term well being of a company when its people are forced to make stupid decisions, motivated by fear, in a futile attempt to avoid generating whatever negative metric happens to be the current flavor of the week.

It is a bit confusing because one looks at UPS in a positive way and speaks about how to get the job done while the other hates UPS and lashes out all the time.
I'm a lot like sober and we don't hate this company. We just see service going out the window for a number that keeps getting more and more unattainable.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A driver on another center in my building was brought into the office last week and threatened with discipline for failing to generate an 88% ORION compliance metric after having been told to do so.

I, on the other hand, have never followed ORION nor have I been instructed to do so. Its been in place on my route since August, and I am routinely the worst in the center in terms of compliance yet I routinely beat ORIONS projected mileage by as much as 30 miles.

We have drivers who are harassed over ORION compliance one day, then when they go ahead and generate the demanded metric they are immediately harassed over the resultant drop in SPORH. They cant win. No matter what they do it is wrong. There is a huge push from Corporate on the adjacent center to generate a center-wide ORION compliance of something like 90%. The warning letters are flying and its getting really nasty over there. God forbid we focus our energies on stuff that actually matters like preparing for the upcoming peak season. Nope...to hell with common sense or safety or taking care of the customers...lets just chase a number.

Re-Raise

They told us at the pcm the other day that we were getting it soon. I raised my hand and asked them how long I had to pretend to follow it before I could start completely ignoring it.

JL 0513

A driver on another center in my building was brought into the office last week and threatened with discipline for failing to generate an 88% ORION compliance metric after having been told to do so.

I, on the other hand, have never followed ORION nor have I been instructed to do so. Its been in place on my route since August, and I am routinely the worst in the center in terms of compliance yet I routinely beat ORIONS projected mileage by as much as 30 miles.

We have drivers who are harassed over ORION compliance one day, then when they go ahead and generate the demanded metric they are immediately harassed over the resultant drop in SPORH. They cant win. No matter what they do it is wrong. There is a huge push from Corporate on the adjacent center to generate a center-wide ORION compliance of something like 90%. The warning letters are flying and its getting really nasty over there. God forbid we focus our energies on stuff that actually matters like preparing for the upcoming peak season. Nope...to hell with common sense or safety or taking care of the customers...lets just chase a number.

My center isn't using ORION yet and I'm not looking forward to it coming. It seems like a mess. More backs, more miles, ect...Everything they tell us to reduce. I didn't realize there was a metric goal to go along with it. That's ridiculous. Imagine if there was a metric with following EDD? My days would be 2 hours longer.

Indecisi0n

Easy fix. Get shop steward and have them direct you in front of him that you must follow Orion 100%. Next day when you Orion looks good but numbers tank and they change their minds. Then Get your steward again to have them tell you to improve your SPORH. Just keep going round and round and they will catch on. They leave me alone now.

brownIEman

Another waste of millions of dollars. I guess ups is getting desperate for more new tax writeoffs lol.

except that it is working... In the centers that it is implemented in so far, miles have been reduced, stops per mile increased and overall paid day reduced. It is saving millions. Go figure.

brownIEman

I suspect the folks in your center do not want to deal with you any longer, and have put your route designation under RDO, so that while ORION does generate a solution your results are not folded into the centers ORION scorecard. Otherwise your center team is not looking at your solution - something in your settings are screwed up if you can routinely beat ORION by as much as 30 miles. Did you get implementation rides or did they just sorta through ORION on your route without riding for 3 days?