Have you heard of the Orion System, what do you know?

late air friday * usually they will update EDD prior to bringing the pkgs. * not this time, they brought the pkgs. and it looked like we would need to work them old school * so i lined them up on the 2000 shelf * hour or so later our manifest updates with pkgs. that have already been delivered, so nowi have to show them as not found to clear the screen, which i will hear about monday morning because i didn't call in each not found * why isn't this system smart enough to accept the update, recognize the pkg. has been delivered, and kick it out of EDD
Did you forget who you work for? Question answered!!!!!!!!!!!!

pkgdriver

late air friday * usually they will update EDD prior to bringing the pkgs. * not this time, they brought the pkgs. and it looked like we would need to work them old school * so i lined them up on the 2000 shelf * hour or so later our manifest updates with pkgs. that have already been delivered, so now i have to show them as not found to clear the screen, which i will hear about monday morning because i didn't call in each not found * why isn't this system smart enough to accept the update, recognize the pkg. has been delivered, and kick it out of EDD

How do they update the EDD? They dont/aren't able to do it here.

S

serenity now

they send a signal to the board based upon how the pkgs. were PAL-ed when they did get to the bldg. late *
a display for each pkg. pops up 1 at a time and as you accept them it sorts them into your manifest

Dragon

Package Center Manager

Things you can do on ODSe

Update EDD on drivers board, this is found under discrepencies on ODS screen.

Copy/move pickups between DIADs, you can still copy p/u's to another board even if the driver has punched out. Missing p/u's from a route that is out. Punch in DIAD once it shows on ODSe, assign the p/u's.

Need a copy of the group two exceptions for the clerk? Open ODSe go to exceptions at bottom of screen, sort in alphabetical order, print and put in log at clerks desk.

You can do the same for EC's 12-1 and after 5's

You can see who has recorded a lunch.

Moving a misload to correct driver, you can drop the stop back in thier board.

Want to see what "area" a driver has been dispatched with, filter to Single driver and "see" what stops he has on map.

Great tool if you use it right.

Hope this helps.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

ODS-E can also be used to make sure a driver is working as directed. We had a driver who was given an add/cut and was told when to deliver it. When she told them that doing this may result in missed businesses she was told to work as directed. They the proceeded to follow her throughout the day.

Yes, we can tell when you guys are virtually following us.

Brownkeg8

When does ORION "optimize" your route? Does it do it based on forecasted stops prior to preload or does it happen after preload is complete?

If it does this at night based on forecast prior to loading any packages why not have it assign the HIN numbers in the new order based on the optimized route plan for that day. That would solve the whole having to deliver off shelf 7 during the first hour of the day problem.

Orion optimizes after preload wraps up and when you leave the building that trace is set for the day. The optimization is based on your air and running ground stops while running commit stops to reduce mileage later. You will never see the same day twice as far as your delivery sequence and that is just on of the many frustrating factors. Other major flaws are in order to reduce mileage throughout your day Orion wants you to back frequently. It will also have you crisscross roads, again the shortest point from A to B is its goal, doesn't matter that you will sit at lights or cross that 5 lane road multiple times. It doesnt take account even/ odd, you will have days here you feel like every stop you are walking behind the truck and across the street. Oh to top it off and no one knows why its set up like this, Orion will break an 11 piece stop into ground, 1da, and saver packages. In your board for this 11 piece stop you will see 100 ups way 3 1da, 7 ground and 1 saver packages listed as 3 separate stops. They will not always be listed together, because the goal is to reduce mileage not finish a stop completely every single time. This will frustrate the crap out of you many times over and if not VERY careful you could actually have to hit that delivery 3 times, told you it makes no sense. My advice is to follow your methods and stick to them no matter what your trace says, guaranteed accident waiting t0 happen if you allow Orion to control you.

QKRSTKR

It also will screw up and not get all deliveries on a single block. Like say you had a stop at 2530 anystreet, then later it will bring you back to do 2540 anystreet, like 50 stops later. You could park in one place and make both deliveries. But sometimes you don't realize you have both stops cause they are so split up. When you ask anybody why that happens, they will not have an answer.

menotyou

bella amicizia
It also will screw up and not get all deliveries on a single block. Like say you had a stop at 2530 anystreet, then later it will bring you back to do 2540 anystreet, like 50 stops later. You could park in one place and make both deliveries. But sometimes you don't realize you have both stops cause they are so split up. When you ask anybody why that happens, they will not have an answer.
Cha-Ching seems like the appropriate response, but I would hate this.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Orion optimizes after preload wraps up and when you leave the building that trace is set for the day. The optimization is based on your air and running ground stops while running commit stops to reduce mileage later. You will never see the same day twice as far as your delivery sequence and that is just on of the many frustrating factors. Other major flaws are in order to reduce mileage throughout your day Orion wants you to back frequently. It will also have you crisscross roads, again the shortest point from A to B is its goal, doesn't matter that you will sit at lights or cross that 5 lane road multiple times. It doesnt take account even/ odd, you will have days here you feel like every stop you are walking behind the truck and across the street. Oh to top it off and no one knows why its set up like this, Orion will break an 11 piece stop into ground, 1da, and saver packages. In your board for this 11 piece stop you will see 100 ups way 3 1da, 7 ground and 1 saver packages listed as 3 separate stops. They will not always be listed together, because the goal is to reduce mileage not finish a stop completely every single time. This will frustrate the crap out of you many times over and if not VERY careful you could actually have to hit that delivery 3 times, told you it makes no sense. My advice is to follow your methods and stick to them no matter what your trace says, guaranteed accident waiting t0 happen if you allow Orion to control you.

And we are actually paying a salary to the idiots who created this system? We need to keep that fact in mind this summer when contract talks get really intense and the company starts whining about its "union cost disadvantage" vs. the competition. Get real, how much $$ are we wasting on garbage like this?

QKRSTKR

But of course you have to run Orion 85%. So if you switch to rdo, there just gonna ask you why your not following Orion. The rte I ran they screwed up the rdo so bad it didn't matter what I used.

soberups

But of course you have to run Orion 85%. So if you switch to rdo, there just gonna ask you why your not following Orion. The rte I ran they screwed up the rdo so bad it didn't matter what I used.

No you dont "have" to run it 85%.

In my case, they will either get 100% regardless of how counterproductive that might be, or they will let me make the best decisions possible based upon my 17 yrs of area knowledge. Im not going to make an already difficult job even harder for myself by trying to generate some stupid 85% metric on a report. I dont have the time or energy to play number games.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
An ORION team has just set up camp in our building. A little (perverted) part of me wants to see it implemented before I retire this summer, just so I can mess with it.:devil3:

pkgdriver

Things you can do on ODSe

Update EDD on drivers board, this is found under discrepencies on ODS screen.

Copy/move pickups between DIADs, you can still copy p/u's to another board even if the driver has punched out. Missing p/u's from a route that is out. Punch in DIAD once it shows on ODSe, assign the p/u's.

Need a copy of the group two exceptions for the clerk? Open ODSe go to exceptions at bottom of screen, sort in alphabetical order, print and put in log at clerks desk.

You can do the same for EC's 12-1 and after 5's

You can see who has recorded a lunch.

Moving a misload to correct driver, you can drop the stop back in thier board.

Want to see what "area" a driver has been dispatched with, filter to Single driver and "see" what stops he has on map.

Great tool if you use it right.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Dragon
I was aware of some of this.

soberups

ORION is being implemented in my building as we speak. The ORION team was introduced at the PCM yesterday morning and the basic concept of the system was explained to us.

They gave a great sales pitch. I intend to keep an open mind about the system amd give it the benefit of the doubt.

The next few months should be....interesting.