Help me! I'm too slow working the inbound.

U

ups_vette

480:
I agree with your assesment on the need for constant follow up with training.

UPS uses MSD (Master Standard Data) to determine capibilities, NOT by studing and timing people. The time values of MSD were developed by the scientific community, not UPS, and is an accepted standard world wide. All body movements,i.e. bending, reaching, grasping, walking, etc. are assigned a time value based on thousands and thousands of samples.

The physical job to be performed is analzed to determine which body motions are required to perform the specific job, and time values are assigned to each motion. The total of all the time values are added together PLUS a fatigue factor, to predetermine the time reqired to perform a specific manual task.

If more people were familiar with the science of MSD and how it's developed, there would be a greater understanding of work measuremen and its accuracy.

U

upslocal480

<font color="0000ff">Scientific or not...you might also agree that it won't work with the way UPS "trains" it's employees? I bet those thousands of people that were sampled were trained well before they were used to determine those numbers. LOL. There goes the numbers issue again. I guess if someone really wants proof of this all they have to do is go open up a trailer door tonight and look inside. Might want to bring a camera too. That's what people are doing around here lately. I'm kind of getting sick of having to go "rebuild" walls that were made by poorly trained loaders. I know the unloaders that have to unload those loads are hating it too on their end. The time it takes to properly train these people is treated like a waste of time these days and it kills us. Hence the poor loads that our guy that started this thread is unloading. </font>

F

fups

yo...480 don't you work in the creek??? well anyways.. i used to load the creek , now i'm (full-time) coverdriving (just p/t but its everyday) ... and when you have to load 4 to 5 53ft trucks a night its kinda hard to load a perfect wall, plus when they start floatin' everything to the "creek" its a little more to ask for.....then they want to send some "POS" in there to help me and i just tell him to pick up boxed off the floor cause he's just gonna slow me down too much.... i'd say it gets a little rough in there sometimes...but much better than unload...

so all in all the loads gonna look like :censored2: .. so get used to it... since i'm gone, its gonna really look bad now....

we ain't got no band Randy!!!

P

pgraening

Hey, all, thanks for the advice and such. I have been doing a lot better. But I'm being tossed around now from area to area, so I don't know how they are going to evaluate me come seniority time.

A

antimatter

pgraening,

Get ready. You will have a "Supervision Position" dangled in front of you shortly. This is presented to the newer employees since most senior hourly employees want nothing to do with that end of the business. Make a careful evaluation of the offer when it comes. It is a good deal for some, but it remains the best move I NEVER made in my career (27 years) at UPS.

Most sups I have met or worked for (not all, however) are robotic followers who enforce rules and ethics they coundn't possibly want their children to emulate. Good luck.

A

P

pgraening

Anti,
It does seem like something will happen - I've been told on several occasions that after only a few months in the trenches most people get moved up rather quickly. We have a high turnover, and a lot of "attitudes" to boot. But at least I know that I will go somewhere, since there really isn't a "dead-end" for me yet.

BTW, one of the senior employees on the inbound, who has been there for at least a year, was yelling at me to "shove" packages down the rollers. I ignored him, because he obviously doesn't realize the dangers of doing it. Sometimes I am afraid to work with certain people simply because of their methods, but, as of right now, there's nothing I can really do about it.

T

tieguy

Curious. What type of retention activities have you seen? Does your sort have a retention committee. Volunteers in the operation that coach you through any problems your having? Any newhire activities where you meet with management, eat something etc and talk about the operation?

T

toonertoo

pgraening, you are smart to use your judgement. And anti matter, you did make the best decision of your life when you did not go into mgmt. Because then you cant use your best judgement. I feel sorry for new supervisors, there is no protection, and no way out except leave...I am actually not negative as I may sound, just a realist. UPS is great, if you stay hourly, at least you get paid for your time. Although some I am sure will disagree, this is the reality, for the moment. I have had center mgrs say the exact same words.

U

upslocal480

<font color="0000ff">FUPS...I don't work at "The Creek" but have before. I'm not far from it now though. I know it's hard to keep up loading but it is possible in those 53 footers. Sucks...but possible. Whites Creek loaders have a bad rep and deservingly so. They have no "REAL" training program but do have an army of "trainers" running around with clip boards frequenting the break areas. Our building has the same type of training though. Just without the "trainers" and there is no name for it and that makes since because it doesn't exist here, or just doesn't work at the Creek. I think they call theirs "Cornerstone Training" or something. Total waste of time.</font>

P

pgraening

Tieguy - there aren't any real "retention" activities... the division manager came in for pizza a few weeks ago, but I was out and didn't get to meet him - maybe next time.

Anyhow, now they're training me on loading. They keep bouncing me around. Part of it is because a sup can work with me at the same time (turnover again, not enough staff, surprise, surprise) and we can meet our deadlines. I think I'm being used, but I don't know if it's a big deal.

And weirdly enough, anti, there are a few senior employees who are itching for supervisor positions...

And the funniest thing - Founder's Day, "inspirational" quotes from Jim Casey and all - sometimes it makes me think that UPS is a cult! ;-)

J

johnny_b

UPS is a cult. I've asked for my family to 'save' me, but they think it is a good thing.

Anyways, yes you are being used.

As a member of my CERC committee (I always thought that was redundant... but we say it anyway), I know a lot of the details of our manning and CERC. What should I post on the internet?

K

kidlogic

Pgraening I guess I am missing something here. How much training does it take to unload or load a feeder. I know where I am that if by the 4th day you still having problems it isnt a training problem. It is an effort problem. Unless there is a flow problem (feeder tilted backwards of the flow or poor rollers) there really isnt any reason after a couple of weeks that either of the two jobs cant be done. Your performance as you have described it so far is not that of the average employee. You may think that I am being harsh, but some people dont get the effort needed to do the job until after they are gone. I say either step up or step aside.

P

proups

Kid.....quit being mean to the new hire!
lol.gif