HELP, new driver with speeding ticket

upsman29

This is what I would do in your case. As of today you haven't been convicted of this speeding ticket. You could have a lawyer depending on the circumstances get the speeding reduced to something like improper equipment. Here in my state about $350 can make that happen easily. Which then wouldn't be a moving violation, so you wouldnt have to report it. Either way until you are convicted you still have no moving violations on your record.

705red

Browncafe Steward
This is what I would do in your case. As of today you haven't been convicted of this speeding ticket. You could have a lawyer depending on the circumstances get the speeding reduced to something like improper equipment. Here in my state about $350 can make that happen easily. Which then wouldn't be a moving violation, so you wouldnt have to report it. Either way until you are convicted you still have no moving violations on your record.

Upsman29 has it right. It asks if you have been convicted in the last 12 months, remember you are innocent until proven guilty. If you do not tell them that you have been charged with a moving violation you have not been dishonest. It is in your best interest to inform them that you have a court date coming up so they can plan for you to have the day off. If they ask you what its for then tell them you have been charged and you plan to fight the allegation. I would do my best to have the moving violation go away as in schooling, community service or some sort of court supervision. Good luck

I don't believe that your integrity or doing the right thing or your ethics can be at risk here. You were honest when you filled out the forms. Now IF you signed something like Nanook described then yes you should report the ticket, otherwise I would keep that to myself till the next years cert. This is your chance at getting the driving job, don't put that in jeopardy by giving up info that they don't really need at the time. Once you have completed the training and made seniority and are filling out next years form report the ticket as is proper. In the mean time either talk to a lawyer about the possibility of reduced charges or call the court and ask them about defensive driving or deferred adjudication. Deferred Adjudication basically puts your ticket on hold for a certain period of time, if you get no more moving violations during that time the ticket is dismissed, never appears on your record, although it will cost you more money that just paying the ticket.Could be worth it in the long run because your insurance doesn't go up and you don't receive points.
I think O 9.5 is right and that you are not being dishonest by not telling them at this point in time.

stringerman85

Take it to a lawyer and get it fixed...Its very simple...In the past, I gave my lawyer a 50 dollar check, and in a few weeks I would receive a paper in the mail claiming it was reduced to a "non moving violation" and then I would pay like 100 more for the court costs...Thats it! Then, UPS never knows....

Mike Hawk

Yea I have a friend that went driving who has been pulled over for speeding 4 times, all more than 20 over.(before he went driving) He happens to know a lawyer that for a fee (300) will get the ticket dropped. As I understand it the lawyer will cause the county so much pain in court (making the officer show up in court, making police dept prove the radar guns have been calibrated recently etc.) that they drop it because its not worth it.

browniehound

Tweat, Do NOT tell them about the speeding ticket. Again DO NOT. You got it two days before you needed to produce a driving record? If you go to the DMV the ticket will not be on your driving record because you have the right to fight it in court (innocent until proven guilty).

You are not lying to UPS. They want your current record and you are giving it to them. Like Over9Five said, next year they will ask you if you've had any moving violations in the past year. This is when you write on that paper about the speeding ticket.

I speak from experience. A guy who was in my class got a speeding ticket on his way to the interview with HR to become a driver. The next day when he went to the DMV to get his driving record it was clean. He has been a driver ever since.