How can I move to a lighter position? (guy)

Rethnor

So, I've worked at UPS for over 3 years now. I started as an unload-er and after a year and a half I moved up to the sort isle. This was due to an attempt to prevent injuries since I really felt unsafe in that area. I was getting :censored2:ty hours 2.5-3 hour days, I'd only get 3.5-4 hrs on Mondays, so when double shifting season started I'd double as much as I could. This was still all in the unload. I was mostly put in long trucks by myself every day and would usually unload 7-8 trucks on my shift then double and do 7-9 on the other shift ( the other shift was getting more hours). The trainers were garbage and pretty much all the rollers were broken if not breaking, they would collapse all the time. My first year they collapsed on my foot as I was on the last wall of a truck. It was a huge strain to my body, I was basically using more calories/energy than I could afford to buy in a week with that :censored2:ty 120-150 dollar check. So I moved up to the sort isle because I started developing a diastasis recti from all the work. It's been two years now on the sort isle and I swear it gets worse every day. I have a retarded supervisor that doesn't know what he's doing and likes to open all the diverters and have all the flow go to one or two people out of 10 (yea you know those lazy :censored2:s who just stand there after a bar or diverted is moved.) I've had to sort 2-3 people every day since I got up there (Either two guys, one in each truck or two guys in one truck, somtimes the 2 guys in one truck and some other guy in a diffrent truck.)

Finally to my point. I keep asking the full timers if they can move me to air doc or small sort. They just laugh and tell me no. The flow on my sort isle is ridiculous, our belts move faster than the other sort isles in the hub and a lot of the time we're missing like 2-3 people each day. So two weeks ago I think I got a hernia, wont be sure till I see the doc on Monday but pretty sure its a hernia. I really want to move to a lighter position like small sort incase I have to have a surgery for the hernia. I don't want to lose my insurance again, yes again. I got fired after I was in an accident and had surgery within two weeks of the wreck. I'm worried about ruining my body anymore than it already is because it's very rare that you can work in my area using "hand to surface". Sure I can turn off the belt but the supervisors and full timers get pissed and come screaming and yelling, we already turn it off every 10 minutes there is no way we can handle that flow safely with 8-10 people. I'm tired of having to sort more than one guy every day because they refuse to give us 2 more people on the sort isle. A part time job shouldn't :censored2: on you this hard for 3 hours of work.

upschuck

First off, unless you're in Lou, you are guaranteed 3.5 hrs a day. In Lou, you are guaranteed 3 hrs a day, I believe.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Find Stewart You are allowed to transfer to a preferred job like small sort by seniority as jobs become available.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
Can you give me advice on how to call in sick? Tell me the part again about how I drive all the way to work ..and then drive back home....

I can give you advice on how to be a human being, you won't take though

Come on guys lets do it!! Lets derail this thread into a flamewar and leave this poor hernia having guy's question unanswered!The flamecafe way!!!!!

billerz

First off I would slow down, I know management will try to make you feel worthless, but that is their game. It's their fault you guys are understaffed, don't feel like you have to overwork yourself.
Slow down, get with a stewart, learn to play their game. People say the union promotes mediocrity, but it's understaffed places like this.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
So, I've worked at UPS for over 3 years now. I started as an unload-er and after a year and a half I moved up to the sort isle. This was due to an attempt to prevent injuries since I really felt unsafe in that area. I was getting :censored2:ty hours 2.5-3 hour days, I'd only get 3.5-4 hrs on Mondays, so when double shifting season started I'd double as much as I could. This was still all in the unload. I was mostly put in long trucks by myself every day and would usually unload 7-8 trucks on my shift then double and do 7-9 on the other shift ( the other shift was getting more hours). The trainers were garbage and pretty much all the rollers were broken if not breaking, they would collapse all the time. My first year they collapsed on my foot as I was on the last wall of a truck. It was a huge strain to my body, I was basically using more calories/energy than I could afford to buy in a week with that :censored2:ty 120-150 dollar check. So I moved up to the sort isle because I started developing a diastasis recti from all the work. It's been two years now on the sort isle and I swear it gets worse every day. I have a retarded supervisor that doesn't know what he's doing and likes to open all the diverters and have all the flow go to one or two people out of 10 (yea you know those lazy :censored2:s who just stand there after a bar or diverted is moved.) I've had to sort 2-3 people every day since I got up there (Either two guys, one in each truck or two guys in one truck, somtimes the 2 guys in one truck and some other guy in a diffrent truck.)

Finally to my point. I keep asking the full timers if they can move me to air doc or small sort. They just laugh and tell me no. The flow on my sort isle is ridiculous, our belts move faster than the other sort isles in the hub and a lot of the time we're missing like 2-3 people each day. So two weeks ago I think I got a hernia, wont be sure till I see the doc on Monday but pretty sure its a hernia. I really want to move to a lighter position like small sort incase I have to have a surgery for the hernia. I don't want to lose my insurance again, yes again. I got fired after I was in an accident and had surgery within two weeks of the wreck. I'm worried about ruining my body anymore than it already is because it's very rare that you can work in my area using "hand to surface". Sure I can turn off the belt but the supervisors and full timers get :censored2: and come screaming and yelling, we already turn it off every 10 minutes there is no way we can handle that flow safely with 8-10 people. I'm tired of having to sort more than one guy every day because they refuse to give us 2 more people on the sort isle. A part time job shouldn't :censored2: on you this hard for 3 hours of work.

Only advice I can give man is work at the safest pace you feel possible, show up for work everyday and do your best without risking your safety

and gtfo this site... it is cancer

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I can give you advice on how to be a human being, you won't take though

Come on guys lets do it!! Lets derail this thread into a flamewar and leave this poor hernia having guy's question unanswered!The flamecafe way!!!!!
When you learn how to dial a phone to call in sick and quit whining about loading PC's...feel free to give me advice. :rofl: