How is it working as a loader?

BryantheLion

I leef deengs up n boot dem down
I've been wanting to work at UPS even since my brother quit. He quit because he said the work was way too hard ans he wasn't getting paid enough. I also have a friend saying that being a "loader" is a lot harder than it sounds. In 3 weeks, I plan to work for UPS as a loader, but am more excited than worried about the job.

I honeslty like lifting things and find it easy. My brother weighed nearly 130lbs, so Im assuming that lifting the boxes was hard for him due to his weight. I currently weigh 180lbs and really do hope they hire me.

Everything aside, how is it working as a loader? Any tips for when I join the UPS team? I pan to work as a loader from 5-10pm.

cgrant55

Well Ive only worked the nights a couple of times, and have never loaded a trailer, so I dont know exactly what you should expect. All I can say is that if you dont mind working hard, then you should be fine. If you are easily frustrated and overwhelmed, you might have a tough time. Just be prepared to work hard, and you should be fine.

SoyFish

Welcome Daz <_<

I'm about the same weight as your bro or whatever and there aren't that many packages that are hard to lift. The over 90+ lbs I get help with. Anything under that is a piece of cake. Loading itself is a breze and they love you if you load well with good quality.

You came to the right place for help too, people here are helpful.

Also it is muggy inside the workplace so you will sweat LOL. You will ache a little bit the first few weeks too. As long as you show interest in the job you will start work 2 weeks after your first interview most likely. Need anymore info just PM me here or on HHF.

BryantheLion

I leef deengs up n boot dem down
Thanks for the info Grant and Soy. If it's hot, may I wear a bandana or something to keep the sweat off my face? I don't mind working hard at all, if anything, I see it as a challenge I have to overcome.

SoyFish

yeah as long as it isn't gang related or anything. I see people wearing hats all the time. I'm sure they won't care as long as you get the job done. You got a good attitude for his job too. We kinda got the same attitude.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Being a loader is easy in your trial period. Don't be fooled by the intial work, they'll stick it to you if you work fast.

Loading and preload are the two most inconsistent and frustrating jobs. You have no control over the amount of packages you recieve, on the recieving and endpoint of package movement in the building.

Unloading however, you can set your own pace, I would recommend unload personally if you're in a hub that has both facets on the shift you're going to work.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
of all the jobs I've had unloading was the best, you get to be alone with your thoughts, as long as you are moving packages out at a good rate, most sups will leave you alone. The work becomes automatic.
Sure at first there is that sore muscle thing and usually they will pair you up with some crazy person, just to show you the speed they are looking for. Do not worry, its part of the mind games that they play.
Wear light , loose fitting clothes, have a couple of rags to get the sweat, bring a frozen bottle ( or two ) with you { those feeders, ups slang for trailers, have been sitting in the hot sun allday...those frozen bottles will melt quickly } , have a quick drink at every slow down you come to.

Tol-Load

I've been working outbound for a little over 2 months now and at first the job is tough, let your body get used to it, and just take that time to learn. I work in the 2nd busiest outbound area in my Hub and one of the busiest hubs in the country and the work was challenging at first. Give yourself the training period of 30 days to learn and get better at what your doing because a lot of the speed and good load quality will come over time, so don't be discouraged by how fast your co-workers are working.

drewed

Shankman
youre gonna be slow at first, follow the methods, ups has had hundreds of thousands of employees theyve invested millions into working them out use them, and youll speed will pick up