How long is the hiring process?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by brady, Jun 30, 2007.

1. brady

brady New Member

Hello everyone. I am a new to the board and I love the forums here, great site. I am trying to get a job as a preloader and I went through the application process had an interview on 6/25 went well, actually had two in a row. The sup told me they were going to do a background check, how long does that normally take? Also, on the application on UPS.com it says it is now active instead of on file, what does that mean? Thanks for your help.

2. jbhatman

jbhatman New Member

You're hired. There will be some more information you have to fill out before you start training.

3. Channahon

Channahon New Member

brady and jbhatman
    Welcome to Brown Cafe and enjoy your stay
    Lot of information and great group of people

4. toeknee2gx

toeknee2gx New Member

:lol:

5. jugbutt2

jugbutt2 New Member

Hey Brady - I did the hiring in the Gulf South a few years back. We tried to keep a few folks at the ready before they were needed. Usually a couple of weeks or so. It only took me a coupl of days to do background checks, etc. It shouldn't be long, depending on the need at the local facility. Good luck!

6. brady

brady New Member

It's now been 11 days since my interview and was told to call them today, so I called them and she told me to call back Monday because she has to e-mail someone to get my background check results. Is this about normal? Do they just want to see how bad I want the job? Thanks for everyone's comments.

7. jugbutt2

jugbutt2 New Member

Brady - I'd just be sure to give her a call back on Monday, and every few days until you are on the payroll. I always had too much else to be doing to be testing someone to see how bad they wanted the job. She probably just doesn't have the check back, or doesn't have an approved employment req to start a new hire just yet. Good luck!

8. DTPGSXR

DTPGSXR New Member

Hi

I have already gone through what seems like the only interview. After being interviewed by two managers I signed a "contract" "promising" me the position if everything goes well. That same day I took the drug test and the physical the next day for a courier position. One of the managers informed me that he was going on vacation for two weeks and that they would get to me within two weeks. The HR lady told me otherwise, that she would be contacting me within two days. A week and a half went by and (on a Wed.) I spoke with HR regarding my status. She said that they still haven't received my background check and that once they do I should be "good to go." I called the following Wed. and left a message. Again I called the following Wed.and was informed that the HR lady was on vacation so I left another message. Keep in mind I've been dealing with the same HR person. I've done research on the hiring process and the majority agree that its lengthy. My question is should I continue calling once a week (tomorrow, Wed) or STOP so that I won't become a nuisance. If you do recommend the weekly call should I speak with one of the interviewing managers or stay with HR? I would greatly appreciate you help.

9. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I would continue the weekly calls to the same HR person.

BTW, we are not "couriers"--we are service providers.

Good luck to you. Dave.

10. DTPGSXR

DTPGSXR New Member

Hi

I have already gone through what seems like the only interview. After being interviewed by two managers I signed a "contract" "promising" me the position if everything goes well. That same day I took the drug test and the physical the next day for a courier position. One of the managers informed me that he was going on vacation for two weeks and that they would get to me within two weeks. The HR lady told me otherwise, that she would be contacting me within two days. A week and a half went by and (on a Wed.) I spoke with HR regarding my status. She said that they still haven't received my background check and that once they do I should be "good to go." I called the following Wed. and left a message. Again I called the following Wed.and was informed that the HR lady was on vacation so I left another message. Keep in mind I've been dealing with the same HR person. I've done research on the hiring process and the majority agree that its lengthy. My question is should I continue calling once a week (tomorrow, Wed) or STOP so that I won't become a nuisance. If you do recommend the weekly call should I speak with one of the interviewing managers or stay with HR? I would greatly appreciate your help.

11. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I would continue the weekly calls to the same HR person.

BTW, we are not "courier"--we are service providers.

Good luck to you. Dave.