I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

The people on that tiny house hunters show are all uber hipster types who overpay for the privilege to live in a state of emotional superiority. It's a sad attempt at rebellion on society that in reality does nothing but gentrifies neighborhoods.

So ya, I'd agree that it certainly says something about the times we live in.
haha ok. i think ill be doing the same thing down the road i want to buy a small condo. the idea of a big mortgage has bugged me for years now.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
haha ok. i think ill be doing the same thing down the road i want to buy a small condo. the idea of a big mortgage has bugged me for years now.
I love hipsters, they've jacked my property value up by 50k in the last 2 years alone. Bring it on. I've lived in the inner city my whole life, I love my hood. Hipsters come in and try to reverse the white flight that created our city's crime problem.... Fine by me$$$$.

rickyb

i hope they are burning the luxury cars.

650 cars torched in French NYE ‘tradition’ (PHOTOS, VIDEO)

In 2016, French police detained 622 people during the festivities. Nearly 300 of them were later charged. Some 800 cars were set on fire compared to the 940 in 2015.

READ MORE: How not to New Year: 380 injured by fireworks in Philippines, 800 cars torched in France

The practice to set cars alight on New Year’s Eve as a symbol of protest reportedly originated in the 90’s in the poorest areas of the country’s east, around Strasbourg. The burning of cars is used as a tactic to express social discontent.

rickyb

I love hipsters, they've jacked my property value up by 50k in the last 2 years alone. Bring it on. I've lived in the inner city my whole life, I love my hood. Hipsters come in and try to reverse the white flight that created our city's crime problem.... Fine by me$$$$.
speaking of property values, one of the critics of the housing crisis in my city posted a link where you type in your address and it shows the assessed value by the city and the house went up 700k compared to the last assessment.

I wouldnt pay more than 500k or 600k total for the house not 2+ million whatever.

rickyb

I'll take on a big mortgage if the value is there.
a few things deterred me from taking on a big mortgage.

i changed careers.
housing bubbles around the world scared me.
and i dont want to live in my country.
im a minimalist these days.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
speaking of property values, one of the critics of the housing crisis in my city posted a link where you type in your address and it shows the assessed value by the city and the house went up 700k compared to the last assessment.

I wouldnt pay more than 500k or 600k total for the house not 2+ million whatever.
Quarter mill will get you a mansion here. I bought the house I'll die in, and my wife is on the same page with me on that. Life's all about choices, some people always want more, and they'll always be in debt to someone because of that.

I know you'll have a hard time understanding this ricky, but UPSERS work hard for their money, and that usually makes them smart with that money because they know how hard it was to come by.

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Many real estate listing companies show what sold in any neighborhood lately . And some will show what your property is worth . Try Zillow.com

rickyb

Many real estate listing companies show what sold in any neighborhood lately . And some will show what your property is worth . Try Zillow.com
yea i was talking to some people at work today about it. they say the city assessments dont actually reflect what the property is worth. i was looking at some listings right now and it looks like it is worth $2 million because there are regular houses going for 1.5 million. its just stupid. even if it dropped 60% it would still be unaffordable and out of wack if you ask me.

in vancouver and toronto, people have earned more money from capital appreciation on property than from all incomes combined.

the economy is screwy.

a few things deterred me from taking on a big mortgage.

i changed careers.
housing bubbles around the world scared me.
and i dont want to live in my country.
im a minimalist these days.
What country do you live in? If not your own? I have experienced buyers and sellers markets but never any bubbles.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Cities and towns always under value property for tax purposes .
Should they have to raise additional funds they can always increase your property's value .
Market prices can vary .
It's always has been decided by who wants to live where and when . The more that are looking for housing where inventory is small always raises selling prices .
The cheapest housing is in areas where no one wants to live .

rickyb

Quarter mill will get you a mansion here. I bought the house I'll die in, and my wife is on the same page with me on that. Life's all about choices, some people always want more, and they'll always be in debt to someone because of that.

I know you'll have a hard time understanding this ricky, but UPSERS work hard for their money, and that usually makes them smart with that money because they know how hard it was to come by.
or theyre in debt because they never made enough money to begin with.

i dont dispute the idea that UPSERS work hard, ive done it for a few months, ive seen the knee boards on the forum. when i was there training, the driver i was with started at 5am and finished at 9 at night or whatever.

yea i agree you shouldnt have to spend alot of money on a house; it should be a reasonable price. my aunt an uncle bought a house in phoenix for 100k, it would be more than enough for me.

rickyb

What country do you live in? If not your own? I have experienced buyers and sellers markets but never any bubbles.
there was a ton of countries with bubbles last 10 years: spain, america, i think UK, ireland, i forget.

right now australia, canada where i live, america has another bubble, probably more.