I need some advice please!

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
At UPS you don't show character and work ethics by setting world records; show up for work on time everyday, do what they ask you to do, set an example by working safely, and keep your mouth shut. By setting the world record in unloading feeders your first week, you are showing UPS what they will expect, and then some. You might not have noticed yet, but no matter how fast you are now, UPS will expect more out of you later. It is a fine line that you must walk. I admire your attitude and efforts; in fact I applaud you, but I just want you to have the "big picture" and to know what happens down the line. GOOD LUCK and keep up the good work!:thumbup1:

I just saw another thread by this guy asking what's the best way to get into management. looks like he already has a plan, thus why busting out every day..........o well.

TungFang

Ok Thanks I read all the post, and you guys all make good and valid points. Balance really is the key... I appreciate the advice from all you guys, and I put alot of thought into what you all said.

TungFang

I'm just trying to do a good job, thats all. I'm not trying to best anyone, or set any records. I just want to be good at what I do. I don't like having my managers think of me as a sub-par worker, I like them to think of me as a get the job done kind of guy.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I'm just trying to do a good job, thats all. I'm not trying to best anyone, or set any records. I just want to be good at what I do. I don't like having my managers think of me as a sub-par worker, I like them to think of me as a get the job done kind of guy.

But you will be miserable enough real soon, they pile the work on the runners.

U

upsman39

my advice is slow the hell down or you wont make a year at ups. keep working at that pace and you will burn out and they will replace you. next victum

U

upsman39

if you were able to unload 10 trailers in an hour they would still think your slow and not working. thats the ups management way of thinking. they all have chips implanted in their head when they become management.

tieguy

Banned
Look at it as a workout. Use good lifting and lowering methods so you don't get hurt. Go as fast as you feel comfortable. Enjoy your youth and youthful abilities. Do let yourself turn into some of the paranoid old farts here telling you to slow down.

As for unloading I found pushing the package far enough to make room for the next package was a good tip. Too may people overpush packages on rollers and end up working harder without getting anymore done.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor

there's nothing wrong with trying hard to do a good job. you just gotta look out for yourself and your best interest, thats all. when you busting out everyday, you might have every good intent to make your boss looks good on his numbers. BUt injuries can happen, and if it start to cost him his numbers, where do you think you gonna stand then? there's more on internal politics as well, you can get shafted by your co-workers too because your record time now makes them look like slow turds. like i said, keep a balance and you'll be o right.