Inbound vs. Outbound

menotyou

bella amicizia
Interested to know what you

I understand that Jim did NOT like to fly at all. One of the management people in the district was assigned to drive Jim back to New York. A long excursion.

That management person then wrote up his experience spending so many days alone with Jim. What they did, What Jim said. He said Jim would still want to stop in operations along the way.

I realized what a great man I missed. I became obsessed with reading everything Jim wrote (or said).
Oh, my. I can understand your choice at the time you made it, I can, also, understand the profound regret you feel. I would do almost anything to be able to see 'the sparkle in his eyes', as Hoke put it.
Your regret has turned into an obsession you should be proud of. Can you imagine being THAT guy that got to drive Mr. Casey anywhere and have him all to yourself, even for just a little while. A chance to interact with a man of such brilliance. What a dream.

I don't think at the time you realized exactly what you would be missing. You were a young man who had too many pans in the fire, as it was. You made the choice too many of us would have made. No need to be embarrassed, although I can't say I would not feel the same. I have a feeling that if Mr. Casey were alive today, he would have said that you made the right choice. He needs his employees focused and sleep provides that.

I told Lifer that I found some writings he has at the NY public Library/Humanities & Social Science Library/Manuscripts & Archives Division- Philip Hamburger Papers. Box 27. Casey, James E. 1946. I am going to contact the library tomorrow about how to get copies of these. I will let you know what I find out.

Thank you for sharing that story with me. It was very nice of you. I hope you are still making French Toast for those grandkids! That is something to be very proud of!! :)

menotyou

bella amicizia
I actually did meet him and shake his hand. I remember the sparkle in his eyes.

He remembered my name and several others that he met when he ran across us later on during the visit. They said he was able to do this at every location he visited.

Thanks for bringing up that memory P-Man.

Hoke
That speaks volumes as to what kind of man he was. Brilliant. You are a lucky man, Hoke. :)

pretzel_man

Oh, my. I can understand your choice at the time you made it, I can, also, understand the profound regret you feel. I would do almost anything to be able to see 'the sparkle in his eyes', as Hoke put it.
Your regret has turned into an obsession you should be proud of. Can you imagine being THAT guy that got to drive Mr. Casey anywhere and have him all to yourself, even for just a little while. A chance to interact with a man of such brilliance. What a dream.

I don't think at the time you realized exactly what you would be missing. You were a young man who had too many pans in the fire, as it was. You made the choice too many of us would have made. No need to be embarrassed, although I can't say I would not feel the same. I have a feeling that if Mr. Casey were alive today, he would have said that you made the right choice. He needs his employees focused and sleep provides that.

I told Lifer that I found some writings he has at the NY public Library/Humanities & Social Science Library/Manuscripts & Archives Division- Philip Hamburger Papers. Box 27. Casey, James E. 1946. I am going to contact the library tomorrow about how to get copies of these. I will let you know what I find out.

Thank you for sharing that story with me. It was very nice of you. I hope you are still making French Toast for those grandkids! That is something to be very proud of!! :)

Look on UPSers.com I'm pretty sure the Hamburger papers are there. As I recall, that was an interesting read.

island1fox

:happy-very: It is nice to read the posts on Jim Casey. I consider myself a very fortunate person because I worked in the same building with Jim for many years.

As a young on-car supervisor I had a tremendous experience. I got on to the elevator in the 43rd st building in MNY and Jim was the only other person going up. I remember that I was speechless at first but when he leaned closer to me and read my name tag --he said Hello and introduced himself as Jim. He told me he was glad that he had met me and wished me well with my career. A memory that will last a lifetime.

brownedout

Jim Casey does sound like an awesome man. I wonder what he thinks of the company he built. Div. Mgrs shoo us away like we were flies. Even their so called lower "partners". Thats the 2 or 3 times a year they even show face.

david cassin

dublinbrown
its pity ups mgmt arent like this now.jim casey aswell as being of irish decent im proud to say was a genius and a likeable man from what i have read and had great great respect for the employees.