injured off the job

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Oh, you weren't told--you are supposed to show up, go to your first stop, and then call claiming the injury occurred while you were delivering your first stop. That way it is a comp injury and you are all set.

Yes, I am just kidding, although we all know of some of our co-workers who have tried to pull this stunt (with mixed results).

I hope that you have supplemental health insurance and/or disability insurance.

Take care of yourself first and come back only when you are ready.

barrycold

I don't drive so I can't really say I got injured on the job. I got in a car accident and I am going to physical therapy. I need advice because I really never missed work due to an injury. May take 2-3 months til I am back.

Cementups

Box Monkey
along ith shrt term disability you may be eligible for unemployment as well if UPS cannot provide you some work to do while you are recovering from your injuries.

Mike Hawk

UPS wont let you work with an off the job injury, it increases the chance of an on the job injury, which they are liable for. I broke a collar bone and took 2 months off, short term disability covered it all, $100 a week is better than nothing. I also paid about $300 for the ER and a plate+7 screws.

helenofcalifornia

Shouldn't be any problem. Just make sure to get a temporary withdraw card from the Union so they don't continue to take dues out and the benefits will continue to be paid by UPS for the first 6 months. Good luck.

Big Babooba

Your car insurance might pay you for lost wages. I was in a wreck back in '97 and my carrier paid me 75% of my weekly gross pay while I was out of work(5 months). Get a withdrawal card so you won't be responsible for back dues when you return to work. UPS won't take you back until you are cleared by your and their doctor.I wish you good luck and a speedy recovery.

You may want sign up for your temporary disability with ups, and if that isn't enough many banks will give you a short term intrest only note if you do not have disability insurance. If your credit is good this may be a viable option. Hope everything works out for you. Be sure and get ups a note from your doctor. Be thankful we have good insurance. Hope everything goes well for you. Good luck

FromBluetoBrown

I feel off a ladder hanging christmas lights and sprained my ankle. I called in sick the next day and was asked "Soooooooooooooo you are saying you cant drive?, we can come get you so you can come to work"

JohnnyPension

Check with your local. Mine has a disability insurance for off the job long term injury at no cost to me. I broke some ribs once at home and they paid $150.00 a week back then. Not a lot but better than nothing. It was a hassle because they made me go to the doctor WEEKLY to assure I was still injured.

John