Injured (Off Work)

nomar247

I'm a PT Sup.

I was hurt over the weekend. The DR. wrote me a note to be off a few weeks (I don't want to go on disability)

Can UPS fire me just because?
For the most part of 3 years, I'm always there, do my job, no problems. But I have never had an attendance problem like this..

packageguy

If you say your that good, what's the problem your hurt. They will understand, bring in your note and enjoy your time off. christmas is coming

nomar247

I hope there isnt a problem.

Its just when other sups call in sick/hurt, the FTers always think they're making it up and that theyre not really sick or hurt. Which sucks.

nomar247

Is your injury such that you cannot work at all? (You know that PT sups aren't supposed to touch packages, don't you?:wink2:)

Yes, I'm well aware of the contract.

But being in a bad car accident, my chest and ribs are swollen, bruised, and any type of movement hurts, a lot. Paperwork is probably the only thing I can do without a problem.

H

htown0721

Yes, I'm well aware of the contract.

But being in a bad car accident, my chest and ribs are swollen, bruised, and any type of movement hurts, a lot. Paperwork is probably the only thing I can do without a problem.

Honestly, paperwork is the only thing a part time supervisor should do, oh and play on your phone

brownIEman

I'm a PT Sup.

I was hurt over the weekend. The DR. wrote me a note to be off a few weeks (I don't want to go on disability)

Can UPS fire me just because?
For the most part of 3 years, I'm always there, do my job, no problems. But I have never had an attendance problem like this..

As a management person, you are an "at will" employee, which means you can be terminated at any time. Now, does this mean UPS can
"fire you just because", technically and leagally, yes. In a practical sense, no. UPS cannot because it's internal procedures do not allow it.
If your full time management want to fire you, they must first get approval from HR. I have seen PT sups fired for a combination of poor
performance and poor attendance. Mostly attendance. If you have no documented attendance or performance issues, I really do not see
this being a termination issue. I have had pt sups develop health issues that kept them out of work for several weeks at a time (beyond even
what FMLA would cover) and did not even entertain going through the process to fire them.

The down side of being an at will employee is that your continued employement has much more to do with your performance and your
relationship with the people you work for than does seniority. The up side to being an at will employee is that your continued employement
has much more to do with your performance and your relationship with the people you work for than does seniority.

You need to be talking to your full time management and HR.

I also cannot fathom why you would not want to go on short term disability, it is essentially an insurance policy you pay premiums for through benefits?

brown bomber

brown bomber
if you're stupid enough not to seek FMLA, or short-term disability.......then guess what...you've already drank the brown kool-aid

and you've been with UPS for how long ????? in the eyes of UPS, you're a keeper

Take the Disability, it is a BENEFIT for YOU! You work for it and don't fear, they will not fire you, they need all the capable operators they can get their hands on.

upschick95

In my 17yrs i have seen many pt sups come in to work hurt when they shouldn't. The one that stands out and blows my mind even to this day, is when the pt sup on the loading docks with a broken leg, in a cast, on cruches.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
In my 17yrs i have seen many pt sups come in to work hurt when they shouldn't. The one that stands out and blows my mind even to this day, is when the pt sup on the loading docks with a broken leg, in a cast, on cruches.
We currently have a PT supervisor on crutches, coming into work every day.
It's pretty obvious that the choice is work through it, or find another job. Sad.