Injured (Off Work)

Discussion in 'UPS Partners' started by nomar247, Aug 7, 2012.

1. nomar247

nomar247 New Member

I'm a PT Sup.

I was hurt over the weekend. The DR. wrote me a note to be off a few weeks (I don't want to go on disability)

Can UPS fire me just because?
    For the most part of 3 years, I'm always there, do my job, no problems. But I have never had an attendance problem like this..

2. packageguy

packageguy Well-Known Member

If you say your that good, what's the problem your hurt. They will understand, bring in your note and enjoy your time off. christmas is coming

3. nomar247

nomar247 New Member

I hope there isnt a problem.

Its just when other sups call in sick/hurt, the FTers always think they're making it up and that theyre not really sick or hurt. Which sucks.

4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Is your injury such that you cannot work at all? (You know that PT sups aren't supposed to touch packages, don't you?:wink2:)

5. nomar247

nomar247 New Member

Yes, I'm well aware of the contract.

But being in a bad car accident, my chest and ribs are swollen, bruised, and any type of movement hurts, a lot. Paperwork is probably the only thing I can do without a problem.

6. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Stay home and rest. Dave.

7. htown0721

htown0721 Guest

Honestly, paperwork is the only thing a part time supervisor should do, oh and play on your phone

8. brownIEman

brownIEman Active Member

As a management person, you are an "at will" employee, which means you can be terminated at any time. Now, does this mean UPS can
    "fire you just because", technically and leagally, yes. In a practical sense, no. UPS cannot because it's internal procedures do not allow it.
    If your full time management want to fire you, they must first get approval from HR. I have seen PT sups fired for a combination of poor
    performance and poor attendance. Mostly attendance. If you have no documented attendance or performance issues, I really do not see
    this being a termination issue. I have had pt sups develop health issues that kept them out of work for several weeks at a time (beyond even
    what FMLA would cover) and did not even entertain going through the process to fire them.

The down side of being an at will employee is that your continued employement has much more to do with your performance and your
    relationship with the people you work for than does seniority. The up side to being an at will employee is that your continued employement
    has much more to do with your performance and your relationship with the people you work for than does seniority.

You need to be talking to your full time management and HR.

I also cannot fathom why you would not want to go on short term disability, it is essentially an insurance policy you pay premiums for through benefits?

9. Mike57

Mike57 Member

FMLA!!!!!
    Alot of good info here as always!!!!

10. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

You were in a car accident. Take the disability. UPS isn't that inhumane.

11. brown bomber

brown bomber brown bomber

if you're stupid enough not to seek FMLA, or short-term disability.......then guess what...you've already drank the brown kool-aid

and you've been with UPS for how long ????? in the eyes of UPS, you're a keeper

12. Ops is MY Game!

Ops is MY Game! New Member

Take the Disability, it is a BENEFIT for YOU! You work for it and don't fear, they will not fire you, they need all the capable operators they can get their hands on.

13. upschick95

upschick95 Member

In my 17yrs i have seen many pt sups come in to work hurt when they shouldn't. The one that stands out and blows my mind even to this day, is when the pt sup on the loading docks with a broken leg, in a cast, on cruches.

14. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

We currently have a PT supervisor on crutches, coming into work every day.
    It's pretty obvious that the choice is work through it, or find another job. Sad.

15. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Unsaid expectations of coming to work while severely injured argument for not going into management from driving - check

16. Enforcerx

Enforcerx New Member

being that your non union maybe, if it didnt happen at work its disability.