insipidtoasts thread of questions

Holydriver

What Holydriver said. About the last 10 years with the company, my knees killed me every day. I use a cane everywhere I go now. Stairs are impossible. Even a curb causes me problems. On the bright side, the kids who bag my groceries at Kroger offer to help me load them into my truck. I get to park up close to everywhere I go.
View attachment 59302
they have kroger down in texas? i thought that was only around where i grew up

rocket man

I'm 27. I'm in good shape, but I've heard the entry level, and driver jobs are really hard on the body over the long term. I was a seasonal driver helper last year and enjoyed the work, but I just don't know if I'm cut out for it over the long term.. Most of the drivers it seemed had started with UPS as handlers when they were fresh out of high school.

I feel bad recently, because I quit within the first month as a substitute rural carrier for the Post Office. I couldn't tolerate that 5 hours a day were spent organizing the mail before leaving the office by sticking thousands of oversized papers, magazines and letters into hundreds of corresponding tiny slots using only one hand without having everything bunch up, and still be told that I should be working 3 or 4 times faster. That was much too finnicky.

I have an Associate of Science and Bachelors of Arts Degree, so that isn't too helpful for getting any job. I was thinking of starting with Fedex so I could go straight into a delivery position and have a lighter load than what UPS drivers have. I know the benefits and pay are comparatively bad, but a part of me thinks that I may still find a better career someday doing something else. I might even pursue a Masters Degree in a field with a bright outlook. Any ideas?

Also, I applied for a package handler position in a city on the UPS website, but whenever I get to the screen where it says to click to schedule an appointment, it always just tells me that there are no more appointments available. This is how it's been for two months. Why do they even bother posting the job then? The worst thing is that I've decided to move out of state, and I can't even apply to another job elsewhere, because the website has me locked into the position I already applied to. I can't rescind my application.
Depends on what kind of state of mind you're in

watdaflock?

Go the management route. If you have a degree, you most likely are too educated for driving and will most likely will become bored. Considering getting your masters while employed at ups is an interesting choice. If you are wanting a career in what you've studied, go management and it'll at least look good on a resume.

This isn't a cut on drivers, I just think if you're already apprehensive about the work long term, don't bother starting.