International Machinists Union (IAM) Organizing FedEx Express Aircraft Mechanics

chrisgumm

The Express aircraft mechanics have recently brought in the IAM to lead a national organizing campaign. More information on this effort can be found at goiamfedex.org.

ch317273

When your bank says no, champion says YES
If it was wanted then the couriers would fight for it. There isn't enough interest.
I was in iam at New England motor freight before ups, they represent the drivers at Nemf due to some dispute between the owner of Nemf and the teamsters at the time they organized like 30 years ago, the iam is a decent Union for non driving jobs and definately mechanics, but it is bc the RLA requiring organization on a national level and fred smiths tight grip on political figures which makes it darn near impossible to organize the express end of fedex....but I agree with your post as well I think just as crucial as the RLA and Fred S is the fact that fedex serves up a mean glass of company kool aid which a lot of drivers gulp down, really sealing the impossibility of a union coming into organize express, it's super sad, bc I'm sure a lot of good people at express could benefit from and flat out want a union, but I can't even count how many express and freight fedex drivers on my route who have hands down drank the kool aid and are extremely anti Union, they sound fresh out of a fedex training video, spewing retarded lines almost management recorded like I do t want or need dues, and FedEx treats me fair I don't need a union, it's ridiculous, like the 20 bucks a week if that on dues is gonna bankrupt them

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I've heard plenty of mid-range employees griping about how they'll never make top of range but yet balk at the idea of a union.

Where's the logic behind that?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Yep, it disappoints (as well as astounds) me, the vast number of people at my location who still think that 'union' is a 4-letter word.

Between the RLA and the apparent Stockholm Syndrome which seems so ever-present around here, Fredwin shall continue to sleep easy.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's not true. Rookie pilots are lucky if they make $50,000. I spoke to a few when jumpseating in 2010. I was surprised.

I think you got some bad information. FedEx pilots are guaranteed at least 74 hrs per month of pay, even though they can legally fly only 60. The hourly rate varies with the type of aircraft flown, but nobody flying for FedEx is making $50k unless they are a supplemental/feeder pilot working for a contracted provider.

Perhaps our pilots have been told to deliver misinformation to us about their pay and benefits so we don't get wind of what they're really making. I am personal friends with 2 MD11 captains, and they are like clams when I ask about pay and benefits.

Suffice it to say that "industry leading" is quite accurate.

ch317273

The RLA. Kryptonite for Teamsters.
Amen, however hopefully the logic behind FedEx express being neither a railroad nor an airline will hopefully one day be known to the us congress and maybe the RLA categorization will be revoked and the opportunity will at least be there to organize

ch317273

Fred S has a lot of goons in politics, hopefully Alotta them are as old as fred himself and will one day move on to the next life and perhaps new faces in government will see this fedex express as under the RLA for what it really is, which is a miscategorization and unfair to the express drivers that might wanna organize

F

FrigidAdCorrector

That's not true. Rookie pilots are lucky if they make $50,000. I spoke to a few when jumpseating in 2010. I was surprised.
Which for rookies is still way above average. Not to mention that guy was probably a reserve pilot. Once he gets a little bit more seniority he'll be in that 150,000 range.