Is there a limitation?

SemperFi

I am a loader at local sort. I'd load about 800 - 1200 packages in the 28 footer by myself in less than two hour time frame. It seems we are getting busier and busier (good thing!) each week and I often get overwhelmed by the volume. I still keep up though. My question is, at what point do they bring in new employees to lessen the load on current employees? Is there reasonable limitation as to how many boxes loader can handle per hour basis?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I am a loader at local sort. I'd load about 800 - 1200 packages in the 28 footer by myself in less than two hour time frame. It seems we are getting busier and busier (good thing!) each week and I often get overwhelmed by the volume. I still keep up though. My question is, at what point do they bring in new employees to lessen the load on current employees? Is there reasonable limitation as to how many boxes loader can handle per hour basis?
Stop keeping up and you'll get that extra help.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
As soon as you all band together and slow down. If you are all getting the work done and kill yourselves they won't ever hire anyone else. The reason why piece per hour keep going up is because you guys keep killing yourselves and actually doing it. Your reward is more work.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Once I smartened up as a loader and worked safely I got down to 600 to 800 packages in a 4 1/2 hour shift. This persuaded them to allow me to go do pickoff, sort aisle and drive a train.

BrownTexas

As soon as you all band together and slow down. If you are all getting the work done and kill yourselves they won't ever hire anyone else. The reason why piece per hour keep going up is because you guys keep killing yourselves and actually doing it. Your reward is more work.
Weren't you the guy who was on the fence about unions??? If so, you just described exactly what a union is....

billerz

They will never bring new people in if the work is getting done, why would they? Slow down, let the belt jam up, it may seem like more of a hassle because now you'll have to break jams constantly. That will be the only way things change.

Box Ox

It seems we are getting busier and busier (good thing!) each week and I often get overwhelmed by the volume.

If you're overwhelmed, you're probably not working safely. Stop the belt and raise hell. Leave any unsafe area (boxes piling up around you). Union members should never risk getting hurt or actually get hurt because they felt they had to work at an unsafe pace.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
magnum-force.png

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Weren't you the guy who was on the fence about unions??? If so, you just described exactly what a union is....
Yea and? I will always pay my dues. The idea of the union isn't a problem for me, the corruption is what puts me off. So yea you could say I'm on the fence about it...