Is there any happiness with a job at UPS?

That's the argument UPS likes to use and it is BS and untrue. I would love to see an independent auditor come in and look at things. I believe it would save money. At my center we have enough drivers so they wouldn't have to hire more. They cut routes to hit SPC. They pay enough in overtime daily to fund 2 more routes for the week, not even factoring in the absurd amount of penalty pay and work comp.
Number one the cost of benefits
Most people do not realize how much are benefits cost the company.
More routes equals more package cars, more fuel used, more maintenance on this vehicles and so on and so on

anonymous23456

More routes equals more package cars, more fuel used, more maintenance on this vehicles and so on and so on
Do more with less. Have you been to McDonald lately? Most places are slow like molasse. You better hope not having problems with the self-service touchscreen ordering system.

anonymous23456

Just like many of the grocery stores are putting in more self checkout Lanes and less cashiers
It is only possible because of technology. When I was a cashier at a grocery store in high school back in the 80s, they didn't have touchscreen and computer program to handle that or too expensive. They have had laser scanner to scan barcode.

Now to think of it, it must be the price of technology coming down allowing all kind of automation.

It is only possible because of technology. When I was a cashier at a grocery store in high school back in the 80s, they didn't have touchscreen and computer program to handle that or too expensive. They have had laser scanner to scan barcode.

Now to think of it, it must be the price of technology coming down allowing all kind of automation.
The owner of the local grocery store by my house said one of them automated self-checkouts cost around $25,000

That's cheaper than a cashier

RangerMan06

You could put every driver assigned to the center on the road including a couple “help” drivers to get everyone in early. It’s been tried before. Drivers come in at the same time, that’s why the center has to hit SPC. None of this is new…been tried in different forms and names. If it was advantageous to put more drivers on the road, the company would do it - but people fall into old habits, need more money than 8 hours provide. That’s why there is 9.5 language, which is still cheaper than putting drivers on the road.Thats why management doesn’t care about 9.5.
I call BS on that as well. I'm sure there are some slugs in every center that milk the clock but the vast majority of drivers just want to be done and home with their families.

UPSER1987

I call BS on that as well. I'm sure there are some slugs in every center that milk the clock but the vast majority of drivers just want to be done and home with their families.
That is so Pollyanna thinking. Maybe if your center is in Mayberry, but in real UPS metro centers, slugs outnumber the others. Like I said, it’s been tried and failed.

RangerMan06

That's their argument and it's a total lie. They are already paying benefits to the drivers that they have on staff. Even the laid off ones.
Most centers have plenty of package cars sitting everyday.
Fuel is propane or natural gas and the cost and mileage would be minimal compared to overtime, penalty, and work comp

UPSER1987

That's their argument and it's a total lie. They are already paying benefits to the drivers that they have on staff. Even the laid off ones.
Fuel is propane or natural gas and the cost and mileage would be minimal compared to overtime, penalty, and work comp
If that’s your argument, keep handling boxes lol.

You have to look at it from both sides
There has to be some equal compromise in between.

What about all the dead time including the PCM driving back and forth to and from the route plus paid breaks.

RangerMan06

That is so Pollyanna thinking. Maybe if your center is in Mayberry, but in real UPS metro centers, slugs outnumber the others. Like I said, it’s been tried and failed.
That may be true We do have Alot of really good drivers in my center.
Give us 8.5 day and will knock it out in 8 or less most days. 9.5 we'll make sure to get the penalty pay. 11 plus and we're working 13
I truly believe the work ethic and attitude of the drivers is indicative of the piss poor management and gross over dispatch