Is there Racial Favoritism going on in your center?

#1angelfan

The only favoritism ive seen is all the women getting easy jobs.
i loaded trucks for 9 years, and did a damn good job at it. i know am in small sort which is a lot easier, but it was my suppes idea for me to go there. he knows i'm here for the long haul. my drivers hared to see me go. they haven't had a good loader yet angd they all have been males.:lol:

#1angelfan

No, but when/if I get hurt and I can't work at UPS anymore and ruin my career, and they can continue it because they do the easy jobs, it makes me furious.
how long have you worked at ups? maybe after you have been there awhile you can move to a so called easier job.

Overpaid Union Thug

i loaded trucks for 9 years, and did a damn good job at it. i know am in small sort which is a lot easier, but it was my suppes idea for me to go there. he knows i'm here for the long haul. my drivers hared to see me go. they haven't had a good loader yet angd they all have been males.:lol:

Some of the best loaders (trailers) I've ever seen were small females. The hub I worked in would always try and put women in smalls or on the air belt or some other easy job but it there wasn't one available they'd be stuck loading or unloading. If they struggled but at least gave an effort they'd eventually be moved to an easy job once one was available. That's how it should be. Women shouldn't automatically be placed in preferred jobs simply because they are women. But this thread was about racial favoritism...not gender. Racial favoritism is getting on my last nerve. It's been a hot topic on local talk radio lately. Allot of people are getting fed up.

Fnix

how long have you worked at ups? maybe after you have been there awhile you can move to a so called easier job.

2 years. The women I see from the day they are hired go straight to the easy jobs. Never once seen a girl sort, or unload.

helenofcalifornia

So if you see it happen all the time and you are a part-timer, then ask the supervisor to give you that job. Management is doing the women no favor by giving them easier jobs. If they get the opportunity to go driving, they will be in for a very, very rude shock when the difficulty of the job hits them in the face. They will have the attitude of a seniority person with the skills of an entry level part-timer. UPS is doing themselves and the women a disservice and

blue efficacy

Women have to move up throught the ranks just as the men do. If they can't handle it they don't make it just as the men who can't don't. Are you finding your job to be too difficult?
Fnix is telling the truth. Women who can't hack loading or unloading get sent to smalls or rewrap.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
WEll it did seem to change from racism to genderism.
I do not see it in my small viewing area of UPS, and if it happens, you should pursue it.
It should not be allowed, Its not where I am and it shouldnt be anywhere.
But its up to people to stop racism, or genderism where it exists.
Everyone should be judged the same. No matter what industry. If you cant do the job, it should not be tailored to you so others have to work harder.
If its a matter of TAW lighter work for a senior employee then that is a whole different game.
I started as a clerk and moved to the unload, and no one ever noticed I was a female I dont think. And I never expected them to cater to my gender, I just needed a job.

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight
"I notice that as you move up through the ranks into positions of authority and beyond, in this company and many others, that the ranks of people become disproportionately white and male.

Does this ‘144 times late’ person belong to a particular racial/ethnic group whose members seem to always get away with things that others would be punished for doing. If not, it may not be a racial/ethnic issue but an isolated incident or an individualistic concern that you bring up. Also, if there is favoritism for or against a person or a group of people, speaking up on browncafe is a great first step, the next big step is to make it visible at work by standing up for what you believe in. Otherwise, if no one 'knows' how can they care?

I think you are valid in feeling upset and hurt that you were written up for missing work one time. It is so important to keep this situation in context and know that you are still hardworking and dedicated whom we all love."

Last edited by a moderator:

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight
...and I am the only person on the preload that I know of that has gotten written up. That includes no-call/no-shows, as well as excessive tardiness. What I said in the last post though is true, this guy has been late 144 times just this year and has yet to be written up.

Quick question, how do you know this person was late exactly 144 times? Have you been keeping track, does he brag about it, or does the center have a bet going so that it's important to keep a count? If there is, put me down for 50$ bucks that he makes it to 200 by the hollidays.

wkmac

What do you think Affirmative Action is?

I always thought AfFIRMative action was what you call it when you get laid. That was always A Firm ative Action to me!

:lol:

Charleston Mule,

Life isn't fair and that's a fact. You can dwell on the evils that befall you or you can stay focused and positive and put forth your very best at all times. If you remain true and honest to yourself and hold to your own principles of work ethic and honesty, then the misdeeds and disserving acts of others whether they be noble or misguided in cause will become meaningless as those closest to you will see and notice your better self and from that, they in turn will help you where they can. We are a large company and sometimes policies are not individual specific but are larger collective in nature. Folks will fall through the cracks as victims but it doesn't mean you have to accept victim status and fall into the mindset of always being a victim.

If you can't accept the situations you see at UPS then depart and go elsewhere with the mindset it's UPS' loss and your gain. If you can accept, then see the job as a part of a means to an end you are building towards and not an end in itself and "take their money and run!"
:thumbup:

JMO.