Jobs

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Employers add no net jobs in Aug.; rate unchanged

Employers added no net jobs in August, while unemployment rate was unchanged at 9.1 pct.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Employers stopped adding jobs in August, an alarming setback for an economy that has struggled to grow and might be at risk of another recession.
It was the weakest jobs report since September 2010. The unemployment rate remained at 9.1 percent.

moreluck

golden ticket member
luckovich.jpg

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Heard tonight that the unemployment rate for black americans is 16.7 %.
How could this be happening while we have a "black " President ?
{ "black" because he is half white }

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Heard tonight that the unemployment rate for black americans is 16.7 %.
How could this be happening while we have a "black " President ?
{ "black" because he is half white }

Good point, but the black unemployment rate has actually dropped - .5 or so within the past 18 months. :wink2:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
(whitehouse.gov) — At the end of September, if Congress doesn’t act, funding for our roads and bridges will expire. This would put a stop to highway construction, bridge repair, mass transit systems and other important projects that keep our country moving quickly and safely. And it would affect thousands of construction workers and their families who depend on the jobs created by these projects to make ends meet.
Usually, renewing this transportation bill is a no-brainer. In fact, Congress has renewed it seven times over the last two years. But thanks to political posturing in Washington, they haven’t been able to extend it this time — and the clock is running out.
Allowing this bill to expire would be a disaster for our infrastructure and our economy. Right away, over 4,000 workers would be furloughed without pay. If it’s delayed for just 10 days, we will lose nearly $1 billion in highway funding that we can never get back. And if we wait even longer, almost 1 million workers could be in danger of losing their jobs over the next year.
Those are serious consequences, and the pain will be felt all across the country. In Virginia, 19,000 jobs are at risk. In Minnesota, more than 12,000. And in Florida, over 35,000 people could be out of work if Congress doesn’t act.
That makes no sense — and it’s completely avoidable. There’s no reason to put more jobs at risk in an industry that has been one of the hardest-hit in this recession. There’s no reason to cut off funding for transportation projects at a time when so many of our roads are congested; so many of our bridges are in need of repair; and so many businesses are feeling the cost of delays.
This isn’t a Democratic or a Republican issue — it’s an American issue. That’s why, last week, I was joined at the White House by representatives from the AFL-CIO and the Chamber of Commerce — two groups who don’t always see eye-to-eye, but who agree that it’s critically important for our economy that Congress act now.
That’s also why 128 mayors from both parties wrote to Congress asking them to come together and pass a clean extension. These are the local leaders who are on the ground every day, and who know what would happen to their communities if Congress fails to act.
So I’m calling on Congress, as soon as they come back, to pass a clean extension of the transportation bill to keep workers on the job, keep critical projects moving forward, and to give folks a sense of security.
There’s a lot of talk in Washington these days about creating jobs. But it doesn’t help when those same folks turn around and risk losing hundreds of thousands of jobs just because of political gamesmanship. We need to pass this transportation bill and put people to work rebuilding America. We need to put our differences aside and do the right thing for our economy. And now is the time to act.

[h=2]Weekly Address: Empty suit reads meaningless words from teleprompter as he gazes into camera[/h]And still manages to blame others.

If it is such a crisis then why hasn't he recalled Congress ?

Lue C Fur

Evil member
If it’s delayed for just 10 days, we will lose nearly $1 billion in highway funding that we can never get back.

So where would the 1 Billion dollars go...did it just vanish into thin air? Sounds like the same speach we heard when we needed to pass the stimuls package or unemployment would top 8%. "The sky is falling, the sky is falling". Same old BHO...blowin smoke and hoping we drink his kool-aid. The Dems will belly up to the ole bar and drink deep....yummy.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I can already hear the opening line of his speech............."If it hadn't been for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!"

Babagounj

Strength through joy
No ,it will be "we inherited ".

let's make a list of his most used excuses and see how many times he repeats them, along with " I " and "me " and ' is is ".

moreluck

golden ticket member
EXCUSES, EXCUSES !!

It seems everything would be going swimmingly if Washington weren't so irredeemably broken.

The Obama White House constantly complains that Washington is not "on the level," that "the whole Washington culture is not serious about solving problems."

If his approval rating were 10 points higher, no one would be complaining about the political process.

Obama modestly gave himself low marks for "marketing and P.R.," since he's so much more focused on "trying to get the policy right than trying to get the politics right."

"part of the reason that ... facts and science and argument does not seem to be winning the day all the time, is because we're hard-wired not to always think clearly when we're scared. And the country is scared." (Obama)

"I am not a dictator".............."Obama is only the president, he can't do whatever he likes, he has to compromise with Congress, this is a democracy, his powers are very limited." Really? Even when he had a democratic Congress he couldn't accomplish more? What about the way Bush rammed things through Congress? Did the Imperial Presidency disappear overnight when Obama was inaugurated? The dictator argument is a straw man. Nobody's expecting him to be Hitler. We do expect him to lead, to inspire, to act.

"Give me time" ....... Obama isn't running the country single-handedly, because if he were, he'd be like Lucy Ricardo working on the line at that candy factory. He has a cabinet and advisers and government departments. Is he unable to delegate and multitask?

He's trapping the GOP. This is the saddest one: "All the compromises that have made progressives angry, what they've really been doing is showing the American people how crazy and intractable the GOP is." It's all apparently a canny strategy to destroy the GOP's credibility and Obama is a master strategist, a Svengali who's baiting a giant trap for the GOP. Wait till the election! Wait till his second term! That of course brings us back to excuse of "Give me Time".

It's pretty clear that Obama is a prime example of the Peter Principle: he's risen to his level of incompetence. He is, as described by Jim Garrison back on The Huffington Post in February, truly Obama the Feckless.

Lev Raphael (a choking koolaid drinker)

Last edited:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I wonder if he will again bring up those trade agreements, you know the ones he made but never submitted them to Congress. Thus shifting the blame onto Congress for not acting on them.