June 6 D-day

DS

Fenderbender
Most kids don't realize what went down on this date it 1944.
Americans,Canadians and british troops set forth across the english channel to stop the germans .Thank god they did.They said that from the air,there was so many boats,it looked as though you could walk across.
Freedom comes at a price.

Scanthis

D-Day was a great sacrafice by so many great men. Over 4,000 Americans died on that day alone. I wonder if the American public would ever support such a day again. Hopefully they never will have to.

bigbrownhen

I read today an artice in our local paper about interviews with local survivors from D-day. What those brave soldiers witnessed and survived to achieve a must win battle. It was all or nothing. What a time in our history.
I pray we are never called upon to see a war like that again, but if we are, may we be as brave and determined as they were so that we may enjoy the freedoms many of us take forgranted today. They are called the greatest generation for a reason, there is much to learn from them still.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
My Dad was there. He went ashore two days after the initial invasion. He said there was so many planes in the air the sky was dark. He also said there were so many troops in England that they joked that the island would sink.

moreluck

golden ticket member
D-Day-Anniversary.jpg

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force! You are about to embark upon a great crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers in arms on other fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

rod

Retired 22 years
Those were some brave people back then. That was back when the politicians knew how to fight a war. ALL or nothing.