Just a rant...

winglas

How is it that a person can be hired into management but cant use proper grammer when speaking? Ive heard senior managers as well that dont know the correct way to use a word so they make something up...like "orientate", wtf is that? ITS NOT EVEN A WORD!!! My manager keeps saying how my education isnt as valuable as experience, and in some ways she may be correct...but for heavens sake at least I have the ability to speak properly and dont need to conjure some word to make myself sound educated in front of people. Sorry, but ive been noticing managers do this alot over the past few months...am i missing something? Are they trying to reinvent the english language and I just didnt get the notice? With all the training Ex puts people through perhaps they should invest some time in raising awareness to managers about not pulling fake words out of their @rss to sound smart, which in turn makes you look like a :censored2: to those of us that DO know.

Anyways...Now that thats been stated...I feel better......thanks for listening.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You should take it upon yourself to correct the person in question whenever they misspeak, especially when it is done in front of others. They will appreciate it and this will prompt them to work on becoming a more effective speaker.

curiousbrain

How is it that a person can be hired into management but cant use proper grammer when speaking? Ive heard senior managers as well that dont know the correct way to use a word so they make something up...like "orientate", wtf is that? ITS NOT EVEN A WORD!!! My manager keeps saying how my education isnt as valuable as experience, and in some ways she may be correct...but for heavens sake at least I have the ability to speak properly and dont need to conjure some word to make myself sound educated in front of people. Sorry, but ive been noticing managers do this alot over the past few months...am i missing something? Are they trying to reinvent the english language and I just didnt get the notice? With all the training Ex puts people through perhaps they should invest some time in raising awareness to managers about not pulling fake words out of their @rss to sound smart, which in turn makes you look like a :censored2: to those of us that DO know.

Anyways...Now that thats been stated...I feel better......thanks for listening.

Your punctuation was atrocious; and you misspelled grammar.

But I understand what you mean.

edit: My punctuation sucks too, apparently.

winglas

I cant believe some of the stuff you can find in the dictionary...Orient as a verb means to "find direction" or "give direction." The noun form of this kind of orienting is orientation. Orientate is an imagined verb from orientation.

Let me give you examples:

Make sure you orient the door of the can in the proper direction. NOT Make sure you orientate the door of the can in the proper direction.

Make sure the orientation of the door is correct. NOT Make sure the door is orientated correctly.

I don't give a flip if the guy gets his point across in interpretive dance to us as long as he's a good manager.

Some jerkwad that speaks the queens English like a Webster's dictionary but doesn't have the common sense to figure out which end of a pen does the writing is useless to us all.

winglas

You are a dumb truck driver just like the rest of us---get over yourself. Dave.

Actually, Im not a truck driver, and while I definitely have my moments of being dumb, I have enough of a grasp on proper use of the english language to attain a graduate level degree. True, perhaps my spelling/grammar isnt perfect, but this is an informal setting...Im not making a presentation to a group of people, writing a detailed report, or relaying information from a companywide notification to my employees...Just simply going off on a rant as you all do about things that get on your nerves every now and again.

UpstateNYUPSer, just because you may have low self esteem and view yourself and others as a "dumb truck driver" does not mean that every other truck driver out there must be lumped into the same category. There are truck drivers out there that are very, VERY intelligent, but choose to drive for varying reasons. Just because the stigma that is attached to the profession, doesnt mean its necessarily true.

On a final note perhaps you should consider this...managers are meant to lead their employees, and to do this employees must be not only willing to follow, but need to have a certain amount of trust and respect. When a manager doesnt pay attention to the accuracy of their english it has the ability to alter the employee/s perception of their capabilities and/or credibility, as well raise questions regarding the quality of anything else they do, thus making it harder for a manager to lead their employees. Would you willingly follow a manager whom you questioned their capabilities , credibility, and quality of work? More than likely not. Instead you would question them and everything they say and/or do making their job harder, and then come here to b!tch and complain about it. You might think something as insignificant as a word can have little impact on a given situation, but that little insignificant word when incorrectly used, pronounced, or understood could be what ends up causing a war.

DorkHead

You should take it upon yourself to correct the person in question whenever they misspeak, especially when it is done in front of others. They will appreciate it and this will prompt them to work on becoming a more effective speaker.

I agree, but correct them in private. Not in front of everyone.

CJinx

One of my first bosses spoke English as a second language. He was a smart fellow, but he learned to speak it from a book. He would occasionally pronounce words incorrectly with humorous results. My favorite was on a regional conference call when he pronounced "beach" as "b*tch". The quote was, "... sat on the beach all day!". He immediately knew he got it wrong when everybody else in the room cracked up.

browndevil

Don't mean to come off as a smarts$$, but since we are on the subject the word "alot" is two words" a lot".
Just a pet peeve of mine