Leaving Fedex Express - What other career options are available?

l22

I've been with Fedex Express 5 years first as a handler and then as a courier. I will not go into too many details, but long story short, I no longer feel like there is room for job security as a frontline employee as my ops manager is out to get me. I fear for my job thanks to my ops manager and HR does nothing.

If you read this board and no longer work at Fedex or you work at Fedex part time and have another full-time well paying gig, please help me think of some ideas on what to do. Let's discuss what career options there are for couriers/handlers anyone dealing with this bull:censored2: looking for a better future outside of this industry - Express, UPS etc.

I have a Bachelor's degree in Literature. Please help! :)

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I've been with Fedex Express 5 years first as a handler and then as a courier. I will not go into too many details, but long story short, I no longer feel like there is room for job security as a frontline employee as my ops manager is out to get me. I fear for my job thanks to my ops manager and HR does nothing.

If you read this board and no longer work at Fedex or you work at Fedex part time and have another full-time well paying gig, please help me think of some ideas on what to do. Let's discuss what career options there are for couriers/handlers anyone dealing with this bull:censored2: looking for a better future outside of this industry - Express, UPS etc.

My sympathies for your problems at work.

But Literature? You wasted 4 years of your life and probably a ton of money for a degree in Literature?

And now you are an unhappy delivery driver.

Time for a life goals reevaluation.

Good luck.

l22

My sympathies for your problems at work.

But Literature? You wasted 4 years of your life and probably a ton of money for a degree in Literature?

Time for a life goals reevaluation.

Good luck.

Thanks... I really didn't know much going into college - and I'm not asking for sympathy in that sense. I'm just saying I didn't know :censored2: about what I was getting into going to a 4 year for that.... and it was a full ride lol.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Might be beneficial for you to consult an employment attorney about your situation and at the same time spruce up that resume.

Can't really suggest what employment areas you should look into without knowing what area you're from but really most anything's better than working at FedEx these days.

overflowed

If you got a full ride you have a brain. Go back to school and get a degree in something that's in demand. 30 is young. A couple years doing this grind goes by in a flash. Go part time somewhere and do it if your life permits. Good luck brother.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Thanks... I really didn't know much going into college - and I'm not asking for sympathy in that sense. I'm just saying I didn't know :censored2: about what I was getting into going to a 4 year for that.... and it was a full ride lol.
My advice would be to stick it out. Supervisors don't last long. Besides, you can keep 1 eye open for something better. Maybe look for a union job?
Good luck.

l22

Good luck.

I know many of you long-time couriers have been mad about the way things have been going for a long time. The way things have been the last however many years you think they've sucked is all I ever knew though. I truly enjoyed being a courier when I first started, but now there is just too much constant questioning about minuscule things, gap reports, emphasis on on-road goals etc. where it really destroys the job and makes me question how valued I am by this company that I often go the extra mile for and then some.

overflowed

I know many of you long-time couriers have been mad about the way things have been going for a long time. The way things have been the last however many years you think they've sucked is all I ever knew though. I truly enjoyed being a courier when I first started, but now there is just too much constant questioning about minuscule things, gap reports, emphasis on on-road goals etc. where it really destroys the job and makes me question how valued I am by this company that I often go the extra mile for and then some.
Tell your manager to screw off, that's what most couriers I know do. Just say you're doing your best and ignore him or her. I've never seen anyone fired for the bull:censored2:.

vantexan

Have you considered the military? With a degree you could go into the Air Force as an officer. The Air Force is pretty much a civilian job with an uniform. Many jobs in the Air Force that don't involve flying or combat and officers are treated better with much better pay. Retire in 20 years too.

Serf

I met a 9 year tenured courier when I first started. He told me he had a degree in philosophy. Liberal Arts Degrees are so general and broad. Anyway, he left for a better paying position in South Korea teaching English.

l22

Have you considered the military? With a degree you could go into the Air Force as an officer. The Air Force is pretty much a civilian job with an uniform. Many jobs in the Air Force that don't involve flying or combat and officers are treated better with much better pay. Retire in 20 years too.

I've been looking into it. The only thing troubles me is the idea of being sent to war. If it was after Desert Storm and before the War on Terror began or in the 1980s, I'd definitely consider it. Do officers have to go into combat? Regardless of what I am saying though, thank you for the suggestions.

vantexan

I've been looking into it. The only thing troubles me is the idea of being sent to war. If it was after Desert Storm and before the War on Terror began or in the 1980s, I'd definitely consider it. Do officers have to go into combat? Regardless of what I am saying though, thank you for the suggestions.
In the Air Force if you're a pilot you go to war. If you're an officer in charge of the commissary or many other jobs you don't. Generally the NCO's(sergeants) and airmen do the real work. Do yourself a favor and only go in as an officer if you decide to join. Wish I had stayed in, and I wasn't an officer.

oldngray

nowhere special
In the Air Force if you're a pilot you go to war. If you're an officer in charge of the commissary or many other jobs you don't. Generally the NCO's(sergeants) and airmen do the real work. Do yourself a favor and only go in as an officer if you decide to join. Wish I had stayed in, and I wasn't an officer.

Air Force is the only service where the officers do the fighting.

DontThrowPackages

Getting blocked in at a loading dock, Street closers, Bridge out, customer telling courier her husband suffered massive heart attack 2 nights ago, all these things the gap report doesn't understand. Squeeze past that vehicle blocking your truck and cause a dent or tell the woman who's been sleeping in the hospital, "Oh, bummer about your husband", looking down with fingers pecking away at the power pad and you're a bad courier. Set up to lose is what one courier calls it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

That's a tough one. You are young enough to reinvent yourself if you have to, including going back to school and getting a marketable skill or degree. No matter what, you're a winner for deciding to leave FedEx. You won't regret it.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Getting blocked in at a loading dock, Street closers, Bridge out, customer telling courier her husband suffered massive heart attack 2 nights ago, all these things the gap report doesn't understand. Squeeze past that vehicle blocking your truck and cause a dent or tell the woman who's been sleeping in the hospital, "Oh, bummer about your husband", looking down with fingers pecking away at the power pad and you're a bad courier. Set up to lose is what one courier calls it.
The gap report is just of many examples that show just what a bunch of inhumane Memphis assclowns are running this freak show.