Let's merge with QVC and crush Amazon!

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by HubBub, Apr 26, 2014.

1. HubBub

HubBub Active Member

We've got the delivery capacity and they've got the warehouse space (maybe?). We could be what Amazon dreams of being. One stop shop/delivery service. We start selling thingamajigs online and stop giving Amazon sweetheart rates. Game over man! Who's with me?

2. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

I remember when QVC seemed like it was every other stop like amazon is now, not anymore.

3. Qvc. is a dead horse. its the 8 track tape player, in the world of digital downloads! Look at the customers who order QVC =mostly older women. Look at the customers who order from Amazon = mostly all young!

if we shut off amazon, they will just divert, to other shippers. I like your idea, but I really dont think its a good option.

4. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

True....qvc boxes have definitely been replaced with amazon. Even Oriental trading...i don't see nearly as many as I did a few years ago.

5. HubBub

HubBub Active Member

OK, I'm not necessarily talking about a continuation of the QVC brand, it would just make more sense to merge with a company with an existing network of distribution centers. To me it seems the the hard part of a warehousing/delivery business is the delivery part. We've got that part down already. All we need is the warehousing and snazzy e-commerce website/branding and we could control our destiny as far as online retailing goes, instead of having to be Amazon's biatch.

6. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

UPS might as well merge with Fingerhut. About as equally stupid of an idea.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. upschuck

Maybe sell all the overgoods stuff online instead of just local, they'd make shipping costs too.

8. HubBub

HubBub Active Member

A lot of people thought the Louisiana Purchase was a stupid idea. Just sayin.

9. upschuck

What do you mean thought?

10. bottomups

bottomups Bad Moon Risen'

You calling my wife old?

11. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

Qvc isn't as centralized as you might think. Much of what is sold on qvc is skipped directly from the vendor/manufacturer. (I've run a couple of routes that ship stuff branded as qvc.)

12. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

It really isn't a stupid idea.

13. beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat Well-Known Member

If we did try to merge and usurp amazon and other etailers. Don't you think that amazon, along with other ecommerce companies would leave UPS? Amazon, staples, walmart, target, qvc, hsn, etc wouldn't want to do business with their competitor. That would be a huge boon for the USPS and FDX as well as couriers. Would they be able to handle all the volume right away? No.. But i do believe they would divert and keep diverting so long as we were a competitor. Also, why would we want to get into that business? As it is, amazon doesn't really make much profit on their online sales.

14. upschuck

Competitors have limits now, but wouldn't take long to have enough capacity.

15. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

UPS makes enough money just selling a service. Why add all the headaches of inventory,warehousing & all the other problems that go with it.

16. UpstateNYUPSer

Sounds like the perfect application for SCS.

Sent using BrownCafe App

17. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

Let FEDEX try it first if it works we'll jump on the train.

18. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

... or the short bus?

19. upschuck

Diversification is good. We are not just a shipping company anymore.

20. UpstateNYUPSer

The day will come when small package is just another division within UPS Inc.

Sent using BrownCafe App