Local2727 to count ballots

T

thedrooler

Unions never OFFER to give anything back, even if it is the only way to save their member's jobs. Unions, and their members, only want to participate in the success of a company AFTER the success has been achieved. They want all the rewards without any of the risk. This is not participation. If they really want to participate, let them negotiate a contract that has a portion of their wages based on the success of the company. This could be in the form of company stock so they would have a voice in the company just as the investors now have. Will this ever happen? No, it won't. The lemming-like members of the unions don't really want to take a chance like this. For the most part they aren't risk-takers. They want future guarantees for past results.

Drooler

K

kjones514

Well, you guys were right, the NMB has recessed the talks between the co and union, it seems that UPS cannot afford to pay mechanics to properly maintain large commercial airliners. The press release shows us that UPS is not bargaining with the "spirit of cooperation." The NMB looked at first quarter earnings (and I say that loosly) and decided that they could not take any more of UPS's propaganda.

G

gsx1990

kjones,
It looks like your the one that has fallen to
propaganda, from the teamsters union. Looking
at your website, it looks like there
is some revolt in the working, because your prez
is spewing more propoganda in his message.

Its a shame that UPS and local2727 could not come
to an agreement. So be it if you strike. You
will only be hurting yourselves in the long run.
You had the chance to be the highest paid in
the industry. But GREED has filled your eyes
and will prevent it. My sympathies to those
that will loose out if there is a strike.

K

kjones514

G.S., thanks for your insight, but we must let the "chips" fall as they may. The AMT's of UPS number small but speak large, the company has the destiny of the overnite operations in their hands, hopefully, they will be wise and offer us a fair contract (in our eyes of course). If there is a strike before July 31, 2002 so be it, if not we will honor (as we did in 97) our ground Brothers and Sisters if they do not receive a fair settlement. No one wants a strike, but only the company can prevent it, they must not let arrogance stand in the way of rational thinking. Since '97 most mechanics (and hopefully all employees) have seen what can happen, we are prepared financally for whatever the company decides to do.

T

thedrooler

Why is it that "only the company " can prevent a strike? Sounds like your position is give us what we demand or else. Why not base your demands for the future on what kind of success the company has in the future. I'm not surprised your union rejected an offer that would have made you the highest paid grease monkey in the industry. Greed makes people do strange things. But then I guess that's the company's fault too.

Drooler

F

feederdude

kjones514,
Don't let the wrench hit you in the back.
Count the number of unions left in the USA today.
With each contract that turns ugly, it pushes corporate america to dig in and the end result is they find a way to work around fools like you. Good luck flipping burgers. Remember to clean your tools first, oh yeah, and don't forget to take off your cute hat.
Feederdude

G

gsx1990

kjones,

Again, if there is a strike, you have only
yourselves to blame. UPS has made an offer to
make you the highest paid in the industry. Its
not unfair in the least. What you and your
brothers and sisters fail to realize is that we
are in a global economy now. There are 4.5 billion
people in the world now, with probabaly 1.5 billion unemployed. If you don't want to do
the job, there is someone, somewhere on this
planet willing to do the job, and for alot less.
Ask the automobile companies of this country
why their share of sales in the USA goes down
every year. Once you put yourself on a pedistal
and think your worth more than you are, your
setting yourself up for disaster. Unions were
a good deal at one time. They have now become
overly powerful, and self-serving. It will take
the demise of more of them apparantly to drive this home to some of you. They are good at one
thing however...and that is brain washing.
Dont ever forget who makes the money that pays
your paycheck...its UPS, not the silly union...

10stryder

gsx1990,feederdude,the drooler, etc.

Aviation has made significant advancements in the last twenty-five years. The technological advancements that are responsible for increased safety in the air are not fool proof. The systems that have been installed on comercial aircraft have to be maintained and we a&p mechanics are legally and morally responsible for ensuring that the systems function properly.
The skill level required to safely and legally release an aircraft for service is increasing on a regular basis.
We aircraft mechanics are not grease monkeys. Our training is ongoing and continually more technical in nature. I am stating this because many of the posts that I have read are obviously from people who are not in an aviation oriented career and could not possibly have first hand knowledge about what our jobs as a&p mechanics entail.

Some individuals have posted that we turned down the last proposal because we are greedy. The truth could not be farther from this sentiment. The fact is that the aviation mechanic should not even be referred to as a mechanic any longer. We should be referred to as Aircraft Maintenance Technicians ( A.M.T. )
There was a strong push to have our title changed a couple of years ago to A.M.T. but there was a stronger push from contracted maintenance facilities to keep our status lowered in order to maintain the outdated industry standard that we are currently undercompensated for.
We A.M.T.s at UPS are taking a stand for the industry as well as for ourselves. We are in a perfect position to set things right for the whole industry. We work for an extremely profitible company and they can not complain about our increased wages dragging them into the red.
Some say that we are motivated by greed but remember that 83% of us voted this proposal down. Does it seeem even remotely possible that UPS hired 1109 employees and that 920 of them are motivated by greed?
You may not understand this but at least you have an explanation. I will be happy to explain further if you post to me in the future.
If you are only a stock holder I suggest that you hold on. UPS is a strong company and in the long run this whole event will be water under the bridge.

Keep this in mind.

Who do you want telling you that the aircraft that your family is flying on is airworthy?
Do you want the grease monkey,paid to sign off a log book( compensated unfairly )
Or do you want the A.M.T. ( Willing to do what is necessary )to insuring that the aircraft is airworthy?

Mike Saegert,stockholder

G

gsx1990

Mike,
Thanks for the intelligent post. I do not
consider you a grease monkey, and value your
skills. However, I do not understand what will
make you happy? Is $80k a year base pay not
enough? Why do UPS employees have to be the
ones that "set the industry straight"? I guess
the difference between you and I is that I think
80k a year is alot of money. Apparantly you
and the 920 others that voted down do not. I too
have very specialized skills for the job I do.
I went to college for 6 years to get them.
I respect your profession and your opinion.
However, we agree to disagree on how much you
should be paid. Personally, I think a 28% raise
to the highest paid in the industry is not a
bad deal. By risking a strike, I think you are
doing a large diservice to yourselves and the
company in the long run.

gsx1990

A

aero11

Mike,

I applaud your ability to conduct a rational discussion.

T

thedrooler

Mike the Mechanic(or AMT if you prefer)

Referring to the last part of your post, I really don't care if the person doing my open heart surgury calls himself/herself a heart doctor or a cardiac surgeon, as long as he/she is good at what they do.

Drooler