Main Circuit Breaker

over9five

Staff member
Over,

The problem may not be the main breaker but something loose in the panel causing an excess load. Turn off the main breaker and tighten all connections including the ground and neutral bus. Stay on the load side (breaker side) of the main as the line side (street or meter side) is still very hot. Before you turn the main back on, load shed (turn off) all circuit breakers and then turn on the main. Now reset each breaker one at a time until all breakers are back one. Turning the main back on under load is never a good idea. Any questions or concerns, PM me and I'll walk you through. If you have a good amp meter, there's even more you can check beyond that.

Thanks Wkmac, I will do that my next day off!

DO NOT PULL THE METER! Many local codes prohibit this by anyone other than a licensed electrician and doing so could open up a whole can of worms you might not want.

And I won't do that...

It usually happens when the dryer is running...But the breaker for the dryer doesn't trip. I figure if it was a dryer or dryer circuit problem, the dryer circuit would trip.

Big Babooba

It usually happens when the dryer is running...But the breaker for the dryer doesn't trip. I figure if it was a dryer or dryer circuit problem, the dryer circuit would trip.
You could have a problem with the dryer or its circuit and its circuit breaker could be bad. If it's not tripping, the next one up line is the main breaker. Hire a pro, your fire department and insurance company will appreciate it.

moreluck

golden ticket member
home_10.jpg

wkmac

What if the dryer breaker is bad? Have you added any breakers to that side of the bus or other load to existing breakers?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Im on the "call a professional" team. Electiricity scares me. There is no way I would do this on my own, or expect my hubby to do it. What would your advice be to someone in your family if they asked the same question of you? Hire a pro or attempt yourself?

That is the first thing to learning how to do @ home wiring. If you fear it, you obviously respect it. The ones who get fried are generally the ones who are careless.

rod

Retired 22 years
go for it------what harm can a little electricity do?

[video=youtube;RkBU3aYsf0Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkBU3aYsf0Q[/video]

moreluck

golden ticket member
Why in the world would they electrocute an elephant ??? When it ended there were other clips to choose and I chose Lady Gaga gets electrocuted (22 sec.)....funny!!!

rod

Retired 22 years
Why in the world would they electrocute an elephant ??? When it ended there were other clips to choose and I chose Lady Gaga gets electrocuted (22 sec.)....funny!!!

I believe Edison was trying to sell his direct current idea over alternating current and was using this as a way to prove how dangerous AC curret can be. Topsy the elephant had killed 3 men including a drunk who had fed her a lit cigarette. Hurray for Topsy. The park people had tried to kill her before with cyanide-laced carrots but that had failed so the turned her over to Edison. (apparently he wasn't the outstanding person everyone has been led to believe)

moreluck

golden ticket member
I believe Edison was trying to sell his direct current idea over alternating current and was using this as a way to prove how dangerous AC curret can be. Topsy the elephant had killed 3 men including a drunk who had fed her a lit cigarette. Hurray for Topsy. The park people had tried to kill her before with cyanide-laced carrots but that had failed so the turned her over to Edison. (apparently he wasn't the outstanding person everyone has been led to believe)
How could you trust a man with the middle name "Alva" anyway ???

The major fail in common circuit breakers is the failure to trip when overloaded. I would first replace the dryer breaker and test to see if it trips before the main. Sounds like you may have a problem with the dryer also, unless someone added something else to the dryer's breaker. If that is the case, remedy that also.