Malaysian airlines boeing 777 gone.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son just landed in S. Korea yesterday and will be in that part of the world for the next two weeks. Beijing is one of their stops on the trip. You can bet I will be watching every newscast that I can for the next two weeks.

DontThrowPackages

Well it looks like the pilots or pilot took the plane and landed it somewhere. If they plan on using it as a missile into the USA, it will be shot out of the sky. If they plan on using it to crash into the Beijing area, who knows how far they'll get to the city.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well it looks like the pilots or pilot took the plane and landed it somewhere. If they plan on using it as a missile into the USA, it will be shot out of the sky. If they plan on using it to crash into the Beijing area, who knows how far they'll get to the city.

Pretty hard to land a 777 without being noticed, especially since it requires a long runway. It would also be difficult to hide from satellites. My guess is another Egypt Air/Silk air scenario, but the logic of flying for another 4 hours instead of just augering it in defies me.

DontThrowPackages

They didn't auger because they want the plane. A pilot doesn't need to disconnect the airships communication systems if he only wanted to pile drive the plane into the ground or sea. They wanted to go unnoticed. The question is why? Muslim Pilots with enough fuel to get to any number of isolated terrorist areas, anything is possible. Especially with the Malaysian Government giving them two day head started before telling the world to stop looking for the plane in the wrong place.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They didn't auger because they want the plane. A pilot doesn't need to disconnect the airships communication systems if he only wanted to pile drive the plane into the ground or sea. They wanted to go unnoticed. The question is why? Muslim Pilots with enough fuel to get to any number of isolated terrorist areas, anything is possible. Especially with the Malaysian Government giving them two day head started before telling the world to stop looking for the plane in the wrong place.
rs

If the plane didn't go down (unlikely), we probably know exactly where it is and that they have 200+ hostages. Nobody would say anything while they were planning counter-measures. IMO, it's down and they'll eventually find it, but anything is possible.

Think about it. We can read "Titleist" on a golf ball from space and the US monitors the world constantly looking for anomalies like this situation. They very likely know, and they aren't saying.

MAKAVELI

rs

If the plane didn't go down (unlikely), we probably know exactly where it is and that they have 200+ hostages. Nobody would say anything while they were planning counter-measures. IMO, it's down and they'll eventually find it, but anything is possible.

Think about it. We can read "Titleist" on a golf ball from space and the US monitors the world constantly looking for anomalies like this situation. They very likely know, and they aren't saying.
I heard on a radio talk show that if it was hijacked , they could have depressurized the plane except the cockpit, climbed to 45,000 ft and killed everyone on board. If any theory like these are true, they probably do know where the plane is and don't want to tip the hijackers off.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I heard on a radio talk show that if it was hijacked , they could have depressurized the plane except the cockpit, climbed to 45,000 ft and killed everyone on board. If any theory like these are true, they probably do know where the plane is and don't want to tip the hijackers off.

You wouldn't need to climb to 45,000 feet. If it's on the ground, we know where it is. If it ever leaves the ground, it won't get far.

DontThrowPackages

I don't believe a 777 is meant to fly at 45Kft. I'll bet data error on that one.

TUT

So many possibilities: Perhaps it was going to be used like 911 and it was shot down and... then try to cover it up. Not liking unrest in the world, too costly.

Doc Sorting Dude

I'm hoping the plane will be found intact. This is a bizarre story that's captivating the world. My heart goes out to the families involved. The Muslim pilots and those 2 who boarded with stolen passports are the big stories but CNN or any other news aren't linking them together but its awfully suspicious.

!Retired!

The thing that bothers me is the fact they can turn off the transponders AT ALL. Why is it even an option? Yes, they have to do 100 things to turn it off. But, the fact it can be done at all is baffling.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The thing that bothers me is the fact they can turn off the transponders AT ALL. Why is it even an option? Yes, they have to do 100 things to turn it off. But, the fact it can be done at all is baffling.

It is common aviation practice to momentarily turn-off a transponder so controllers can have a positive ID on an aircraft when 2 are in close proximity. That's why.