management vs hourly

aspenleaf

Actually todays brainwash schools have changed. In todays world they preach employee relations, team building , empowerment etc. Unfortunately this philosophy has not always filtered down the way we would like.

Tie ~ I have seen some in management try this method but they usually get beat up and down and give up and end up hating work. Two sups ago I had a wonderful woman as my sup and she did all of that but she didn't fit in the box and they moved her. Then I got a sup who had been abused for too long that he just didn't care what was done as long as we wrapped on time. My current sup is too new to figure out.

My current manager is much better than the previous one. This one does not yell too much but he does give out praise when we do good work. He asks what is wrong when we fall short of the goals. The previous manager was all fire and brimstone and scared a lot of preloaders to other jobs. He made it seem like the next misload and they'd be walking us out the door.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Westsideworma, I wish you good luck. We need people with that attitude.
Will it change you, probably not, will it frustrate you and keep you up at night, probably. When you KNOW what you are asking someone to do, is physically impossible, and you still tell them they gotta meet that mar, because you were told to MOTIVATE them, you will lose that person as a friend. And they wont trust you anymore. And you will have to do that or you will be on the street. And they wont respect you anymore, friendship aside.
When I have a sup with me for three days, who watches everything I do and doesnt help me at all and I do the same with them as I do without them, and all they can tell me Is we know the numbers come up wrong, but you have got to get to X number of stops per hour, where does that leave us/me? It leaves me unmotivated, and frustrated and stressed. Because the person who is telling me I have to do better, cannot tell me how.

We are all special in some way or we would not have been hired, 95% of the people I work with work their hearts out to do a job, and are totally whipped from hearing we arent doing enough. Fast enough, safe enough, soon enough. Unless you are in an area where they hire just anyone, you are the cream of the crop. Especially the people with some seniority, they didnt used to hire, "just anyone".

I have noticed they tightened the screws again, I was going out with 60-80 two yrs ago, then when the 5.8 seconds were implemented, it went to 100, now its 120.

Just because someone makes a few keystrokes that says 120= 8.5 hrs, but it takes 10, does not mean it is possible. It actually is ludicrous. It has met the point of diminished return. What does UPS gain from seeing people be 2 hrs or more late on their OR? The only thing that changes is the numbers, not the people, their motivation, their ability or their pride. And there lies the problem between hourlies and management. You wish you could make a difference, I do too. I wish you luck trying to do so, but as the new kid on the block, you better have back up. Because try as you may, you are not going to change things, You will not have enough clout, at this point I dont think anyone does.

OUr union just tells us, production is not recognized, I think there must be a way to voice our opinions, and I only speak from the driver side as my preload time is old, to tell corporate, it aint working. Yes production probaly wont get you fired, but it will keep you out late every single night for the rest of your days. I expect to work hard, I actually like to work hard, but when I bust my butt to get through a day, and see the next its called a 7.9... so I get 20 more, but it took me ten, its 10. And I dont want to do that for the rest of my working life. And I didnt used to, If I needed to get done early, I could turn up the throttle on the body and get done reasonably early. Now I turn up the throttle to make it in by 8. I might have gotten older, but with age I have gotten smoother, I cant even imagine what a swing driver goes through now, when you dont know where a street is or where a number is, when I know every single one and without a flaw, I get to each one. And am still working 10 hrs.

So once again I will wish you luck, but being young educated, and motivated I would tell you to go where your attributes will be appreciated, and not denegrated.

canon

btw pls splain to a dumb Canuck
the meaning of ... 0u7 0f 7h3 br0wn h013 51nc3:thumbup1:
1337 speak... or 'leet. Slang for elite. Aka, hacker lingo.

Says "out of the brown hole since"

An online 1337 translator translates that statement to:
"0U7 0f 7H3 8|20wn H0L3 51nC3" (Must be a slightly different dialect.)

Source: 1337 Translator

see there lies the conflict (with me I mean). I do believe PAS in its current state is a joke. I know they've thrown so much money at it that its not going anywhere.
Go with the flow until you're high enough to make a difference. Nobody benefits from a pt supe who martyrs his career because route 24b has more stops than 24c.

And if there's one common denominator among the people who are promoted the fastest that I've seen... it's the quiet ones. Do what they ask, and remember emotions aren't professional.

ImpactedTSG

please expand on that...btw pls splain to a dumb Canuck
the meaning of ... 0u7 0f 7h3 br0wn h013 51nc3:thumbup1:
blah blah blah was for the mgt vs. hourly mentality. That was one of the things that used to really bother me about UPS. Everyone was there for the same goal, yet there was always this us vs. them attitude that got in the way of getting stuff done. I guess that is how big companies are.

As for the tech lingo, canon covered it pretty well. :cool:

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
This may not be the right thread for it, but it makes me angry to see PAS get the blame for so many problems. PAS suffers from "garbage in, garbage out", and it has a gigantic capacity for garbage. I should not even care, since I left UPS more than a year ago. If the few shares of stock I still own lose all their value, I will not lose much. But I saw PAS work well in some (OK, 3 out of about 30) sites.

What those successful sites had in common were:
  • Center Management that was willing to do the huge amount of work to get PAS working properly. (It did not have to include all management. One center had a center manager who resisted, but the On-Roads made it work.)
  • Local area knowledge, which includes listening to the Drivers feedback.
  • The IE person assigned to each of those centers wanted to make PAS work, rather than just follow a process. The IE person listened to those with local knowledge (Drivers and/or Sups & Mgrs), understood how PAS is used and what changes do to Preloaders and Drivers. IE combined all the collected information to create loops that worked OK after moving some stops, though they might not look the best on that rare day that zero stops are moved.
  • Everyone must be willing to continue to change and tune up the process.
All of those factors are people, not software. One who must be committed to make this work is the IE person, because IE has the authority to apply the knowledge gathered. (Besides that, whatever IE decides is true becomes the truth.)

Ruralbrownman

I do wish you luck WestSide. I think your type is a dying breed. When I started working for UPS 23 years ago ALL sups came from the p-t ranks. They were hard working people who started on the part-time , became p-t sups , then drivers , then to friend-t management if they so desired. That however is not the case anymore. Every p-t sup in our building was hired off the street. Maybe , at least on the preload , that is a direct result of the PAS system. I must say our building is not yet on PAS , but from what I have read on different posts you really dont need preload experience to train people anymore.

I believe that is one of the problems with UPS today. We are hiring to many management people with college degrees that do not understand what most jobs in our company entale. UPS was a better company when management people can up the ranks and understood what each job was responsible for and knew how to do those jobs. A center manager at one time had the abililty to actually RUN a center. Now they wait for the phone to ring and do what they are told. At one time dispatch was controlled inside the building , if stops warranted , a route could be added without any questions , now it almost takes any act of god to go against what the plan calls for. Driver sups actually spent time on the street with drivers , not in the building worrying about every piece of paper that comes out of the printer. Most of the time swing drivers , at least in our building, have to go out blind on routes , but are still expected to make performance. It never seems to be good enough.

I hope you can keep your positive attitude over the long haul. All to often we new sups come in and think they came make a difference , only to get frustrated with the pressures of trying meet ever shrinking numbers. Where does it all end? The jobs at UPS do not change that much , yes we add technology , some good and some bad , but for the most part they stay the same. While the diad has saved some time at multi-package stops , it really saves no time in residential. You still have the walk time from truck to the front door in which you sheet , now scan , the package , wait a few seconds to see if the customer is home , leave the package , and while walking back to the truck record your next address. The reload unloads packages out of the cars and loads them in a trailer , but yet they should take less time today then a couple years ago. I hate to sound so negative , but thats what is happening to most of the people who have been with the company a long time. The constant pressure to run MORE stops per hour , run MORE pieces per hours , load MORE pieces per hour , wash MORE trucks per hours , it just wears on people. I really hope you can stay positive , treat your people with the respect you want to be treated with , and don't let the constant pressure put on management wear you down. UPS is going to celebrate 100 years this summer, I can only hope we last another 100 years.

antimatter

I always felt I had a larger impact as a package driver... I could provide good service, be friendly and take care of my little corner of the world without any real interference. I just did my job and went home.
Management puts in way too many hours and I have seen many of their homes/relationships suffer for it.

A.