Management Working

J

jibbs

I guess it would be too simple to hire more employees in this case?

See now, I'm of the very non-unionly opinion that if a person can't handle a 4-truck (not including splitters) pull they be given other responsibilities or be forced to seek employment elsewhere. That's a jaded opinion, though, and I've kept it to myself for a long time now before bringing it up here. I was serious about being pissed off when I watch myself do the same amount of work (sometimes more if you go by forecasted package counts) that it takes two other just-as-capable loaders plus a supervisor to do, every day.

Sure, I get my ass kicked every once in a while too, but :censored2: man, I don't understand why :censored2:ty work is rewarded with less work. I swear there's gotta be a better way to go about it.

But yeah, you're right they could hire more people.... and then I'd still be stuck on my 4 trucks while I watch every new person get put on one- and two-apiece. Why? Because I've already proven that I can handle it, so you can be sure that they're going to put me on at least 4 whether it's necessary to the sort or not. That's how I feel, at least, so I'm kind of at a point where I just :censored2:in' want everybody else to have 4-truck pulls too. I'm just a crab in a bucket, brutha, just a crab in a bucket....

box_beeyotch

I can think of at least 4 instances where I filed a grievance for sups working while I was a local sorter...and I still work here. But go ahead, leg them take money out of your pocket and cut jobs. We have a contract for a reason, but it's only as strong as those who support it.

J

jibbs

Yeah.... once they learn how to divide up the work evenly, I'll learn to be more vocal about supervisors working.

I have enough :censored2: on my plate at work. I'm not worried about being fired-- I'm worried about being expected to handle everything I usually do (belt irregs, helping split, sorting totes, loading the last 4 trucks on the belt) and then being directed to help the people across the belt from me that've been dragging their feet all day.

Prime example, 4 pulls on my belt today, only two people. I loaded 5 trucks and split, dude on the other side loaded two trucks and split. Somehow, I was the one sorting every tote that came down, throwing every irreg onto the belt, clearing every jam-- :censored2: man, felt like I was the only one even back there at times. I don't need any more work avalanching onto my lap, thanks.

Side-note: I love it when people say, "It exists for a reason, man" and then neglect to give anything resembling one. Blind faith can bite a person in the ass just as quickly as the silence I like to utilize when I'm on the clock.

Last edited by a moderator:

cardboard-surfer

If the sups didn't help, then I'd stay longer and get more pay; God forbid a thousand workers nationwide get a dollar or a few cents extra pay per quarter by staying 5 minutes longer, that's $1000 less quarterly dividend in investor's pockets. Bean counter mentality dominates this place.

The only thing sups are banned from here is (un)loading and sorting; everything else they're ordered to help with, particularly safety issues (clogged egress, eregs on the floor, etc.).

I think one of the first things sups are taught to spot are hidden cameras; "oh ok, the worker doesn't have a camera recording me, I'll just help him load for a half hour." Just like a thousand other things, bringing cameras onsite is grounds for firing. Then it becomes a my-word-versus-his when you whine to the union hall and don't have video to back it up.

Not that it would do any good...the upper-management is made of teflon. The end-result of an anonymous video sent to the teamsters would be a PT sup pawn getting canned and a few weeks later things quiet down and it happens all over again...the upper-management figures out who's recording them by looking at the trailer/sector of the building, and the worker gets canned, too.

But if you really hate your PT sups guts and you only record once, then it might be worth it.

Last edited: