misloads/fixes

tieguy

Banned
That is absolutely correct. I don't know how mgmt expects loaders to be PERFECT - we are all human and bound to make mistakes.

Indeed. The above information is probably geared towards misloads loaded by a hub employee then a prelaoder but many of the same principles apply. I started out as a loader. I found I had to make a mental effort to check each package before I loaded it. Kind of like a camera taking a picture. Once I had the mental process in place I often went 15 to 20 thousand package between misloads. As a management person should I now expect someone to screw up constantly because we are human or should I teach the methods and then expect the same or near same results?

lost

As long as the company continues to put more emphasis on the numbers and how it looks on paper, as opposed to doing what it takes to get the job done right, there are going to be misloads and service failures.

Drivers are not the only ones who are pushed to make "the numbers". As long as you've got someone breathing down your neck, pushing you to keep the preload off overtime and getting the sort wrapped up by a certain time (regardless of volume, etc.), there is going to be mistakes. And those mistakes go up exponentially when the time constraints are greater.

You can have your meetings and reviews and training and writeups and whatever, but that doesn't solve the problem. The problem is that a human being can only do so much work in a certain period of time. I don't care what the computer says (If the computer can do it faster and more accurately, then let it load the pkgs.). These numbers are based on the "perfect load". You know....the ones like you see in the videos. The ones where you could hold a dance in the back of the pkg car.

As long as you have human beings loading pkg cars and unrealistic time constraints put on them to get the job done, you will have misloads. And I didn't have to sit in an office for two weeks and "crunch the numbers" to figure that out. There's a lot of people who's only view of the company is the view they get on their monitor. I'm beginning to think that they would have to have a 100 page manual to figure out how to start a package car and drive it out of the building.

Of course, as always, this is just my opinion.
I have to agree with a few things here. Why is it that start times dont change on high volume days but preload is expected to wrap up at the same time as normal??? Also in our building reguardless of volume our air is late almost everyday, On light days I am to get my people off the clock by 8, if the air does not get in until 7:30 or later and we don't get last cage untill 7:45 or 7:50 how does that one work, IN REAL LIFE??

brady

well I've been there for 4 days now, first two days one car, third and fourth day two cars. Monday is my fifth day and I have three cars. They really don't train you well, my drivers tell me different ways to load the cars than what my sup says. We go in at 4:50 and are never done by 9:15 normally done around 9:30ish, they put an average of 30 cuts in a car and then you have adds as well. I think the majority of the misloads are from cuts, I've already had one misload but in my center the majority of the preloaders have them everyday.

DS

Fenderbender
Brady,cant you work any faster?
just kidding man...welcome to ups...
do your best and screw the rest...

Lobofan5

CANT READ.... TOO BUSY LAUGHING AT #15...

keep them happy.... oh..my sides hurt.... thats a funny one.....

recognition?... it just gets funnier....

opie

Fortunately I don't have to worry about misloads. Because I never get any. And I mean never! So far this year I only had one, and I think it might have been an address correction too. My misload frequency is something like one for every couple hundred thousand. Though management doesn't really recognize my efforts. They know that I'm the best, but I really don't care. Because all I'm doing is my job and my job isn't anything special, just loading trucks.

lost

well I've been there for 4 days now, first two days one car, third and fourth day two cars. Monday is my fifth day and I have three cars. They really don't train you well, my drivers tell me different ways to load the cars than what my sup says. We go in at 4:50 and are never done by 9:15 normally done around 9:30ish, they put an average of 30 cuts in a car and then you have adds as well. I think the majority of the misloads are from cuts, I've already had one misload but in my center the majority of the preloaders have them everyday.

Welcome to UPS and the Browncafe, and good luck, the drivers know where the packages NEED to be loader to make their day better, However we are not supposed to custom load for the drivers because if a driver calls in then the cover driver has no idea where to look for the packages because it is in the DIAD board the way the DM set it up, not the custom load the original driver told you to load it. Its unfortunate but this is what we have to work with, either please your sup or the drivers that have to be out actually dealing with the mess that was dispatched to them. Happy Loading:laugh::laugh: