moving sideways

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by breadbooze, Jul 11, 2006.

1. breadbooze

breadbooze Member

hey all, how difficult is it to move sideways or diagonally in the organization from FT package driving? I'm not talking about moving into feeders, but rather a different FT position. I have my letter ready though would like some input on those who've moved on before submitting it. Is it really based on the tests and interviews? Does not having a college degree make things harder? Thanks in advance.
  2. bisongolfer

bisongolfer Member

I don't see how that would be a lateral move. From the sounds of your post, your only option would be to go into management. So assuming you are talking about entry-level management, i.e. on-road sup, or hub operations, yes, it is based on tests and interviews. And yes, not having a degree makes it harder...not impossible, but harder.
  3. david

david New Member

If you are a package driver with 20 or more years seniority, you may be able to bid on a combo job. However, I think that would mean a pay cut. Also, you might end up loading trucks for much of the day.
  4. happybob

happybob Feeders

You will need to give us a little more information. What kind of position are you looking for. If it's management I'm sure tieguy or antoher management poster can give you better information than hourlies can.

I would think that any organiztion would take into account your record as an hourly employee and the interviews will give them an idea if they think you are a good fit for management.