mr fedex planII

vantexan

I've been at my current location 2 years and 3 months. Most of the part-timers who've stayed are now FT. Many more have come and gone. Obviously many of us older couriers aren't happy(if you were here it would be obvious) but we're pretty much stuck with the current economy and our obligations. The real story is the up and coming generation. This is a demanding job. This is a demanding company. The young folks just aren't going to stick with it and put up with all the demands if there's no real future in it. Would you want to slave away for 35 years if you couldn't afford to buy a house, a car, take vacations, pay for your kid's college, retire with dignity? I've pointed out that the economy has changed and there are new economic realities. Maybe so, but if I'm starting out I'm going to take the job that's easiest on me if the hump job won't do much more for me. That used to be the trade off. Yes, it was a hard job at times, yes I had to hustle, but it rewarded me well and I could take pride in my efforts. Now I'm just working so that profits can be spread around to fat cats. Anything they can do to hold my pay down and trim my benefits is being done. The new guys see this too. But does FedEx do anything to improve our situation? No, they just keep raising starting pay to lure newhires in. They've made a calculation that they've simplified the job enough to keep newhires long enough to make a constant state of turnover worthwhile rather than improve things for the rest of us. That's what the company has become, what some defend as some special place, and usually the defenders are managers or very senior couriers who have better pay and a full pension. I guess the rest of us should just be happy for you and just be happy we've got a job.

FedExer267

I've been at my current location 2 years and 3 months. Most of the part-timers who've stayed are now FT. Many more have come and gone. Obviously many of us older couriers aren't happy(if you were here it would be obvious) but we're pretty much stuck with the current economy and our obligations. The real story is the up and coming generation. This is a demanding job. This is a demanding company. The young folks just aren't going to stick with it and put up with all the demands if there's no real future in it. Would you want to slave away for 35 years if you couldn't afford to buy a house, a car, take vacations, pay for your kid's college, retire with dignity? I've pointed out that the economy has changed and there are new economic realities. Maybe so, but if I'm starting out I'm going to take the job that's easiest on me if the hump job won't do much more for me. That used to be the trade off. Yes, it was a hard job at times, yes I had to hustle, but it rewarded me well and I could take pride in my efforts. Now I'm just working so that profits can be spread around to fat cats. Anything they can do to hold my pay down and trim my benefits is being done. The new guys see this too. But does FedEx do anything to improve our situation? No, they just keep raising starting pay to lure newhires in. They've made a calculation that they've simplified the job enough to keep newhires long enough to make a constant state of turnover worthwhile rather than improve things for the rest of us. That's what the company has become, what some defend as some special place, and usually the defenders are managers or very senior couriers who have better pay and a full pension. I guess the rest of us should just be happy for you and just be happy we've got a job.

Express is sounding more and more like Ground everyday. Back breaking work takes a toll on the body also take into consideration I have never seen a courier move at a slow pace. No matter what side we are on we all do the samething bust our butts day in and day out so the FATCATS can line their pockets. We all make Smith and his buddies alot of money atleast he could do is realize that without his frontline people he would not be so profitable and begin to reward us all with a livable wage.
You offer someone a career and they will work harder and provide better customer service than the ones you offer a job too. If FedEx truly wanted to be number one, the best move they could make would be to take care of their employees. It has been my experience that a happy employee will make you more profitable in the long run, something FedEx just does not get.

quadro

Dear Lackey,

Thank you for your worship, but it's wholly unnecessary because what I say is never the Gospel, just informed opinion.
As is what I say. Where I have verifiable facts, I point them out. I don't say that someone with their first post "gets it" just because it backs up what I claim.
Why would you be interested in my status as PT or FT?
If I'm not mistaken, you are FT. You have told us on more than one occasion that you only work at FedEx for the benefits as investments are your primary source of income. The only real benefit difference between FT and PT is short-term disability. Perhaps that's the benefit that's most important to you but that coverage can be purchased outside of FedEx. What I don't understand is why, if FedEx is such a crap company to work for and doesn't meet your needs, why you say it meets your needs? At the very least, and if STD isn't the most important benefit to you, why wouldn't you just go part-time so you don't have to put up with as much crap? More importantly, why wouldn't you just go work for a company that treats you better and has the benefits you need?

This is not the same old "if you don't like it go elsewhere" argument. That stance often doesn't work for people because they are in it for more than just the benefits. As you've stated that's all you're in it for, it seems that you are not restricted in that choice the way others may be.

I question your veracity because you rarely wander far from the official company line. You say that you're a topped-out courier, but you sound more like a manager in your posts. Perhaps you live in some backwater state or city where what FedEx pays is considered to be a "good job". In Memphis or Little Rock, that might be true, but in many cities, the wage that FedEx pays isn't competitive.
I live and work in one of the 10 largest cities in America. There are things that I don't agree with but as I've said, I don't post on every subject so you are reading into it what you want to get out of it.

To the person, every 20+ year employee I know isn't very happy with the current state of affairs at FedEx. You seem the exception to the rule, and being OK with the mediocrity that is Express these days is fine with you. I don't think most employees share your opinion, and that there aren't really many happy campers right now at FedEx.
I would bet that you know less than 1% of the 20+ year employees. so your anecdotal evidence is just that, anecdotal. As is mine, but I don't pretend that it's a statistically significant sampling.

Again, if we all love FedEx so much, why does Fred devote so much time and money into keeping an RLA Express Carrier Exemption that he doesn't need? Save the $25 million spent just this past year and buy some new vehicles or aircraft, right? Wrong, because the truth is that if a vote were held tomorrow, you know what the results would be. Drop the anti-union efforts, and just let what happens happen. That would never occur though, because Fred knows the truth. Let's just have a vote quadro. We all know how you'd vote, but what about the rest?
I thought Boeing 777's were aircraft. I thought Boeing 757's were aircraft as well. Did FedEx not just by several of each? I thought that those things with 4 wheels and doors were vehicles. Did FedEx not by a few thousand recently and are buying several thousand more this year? $25 million might buy several hundred vehicles but it doesn't buy one 777 and I don't think it buys one 757 either. So go ahead and have a vote, nothing is stopping you. It's now easier under the RLA. You don't even need everyone to vote. In fact, it's probably better that way from a union perspective. Get a vote organized in a handful of large cities where you just know you'll get yes votes and you are all set. Right? No more "it's too difficult to organize a national vote". You don't need a national vote, per se. You just need to push the voting where it counts. Unless, of course, the unions know that even that wouldn't be enough votes to win. Nah, that couldn't be it, could it?

northeast swing driver

As is what I say. Where I have verifiable facts, I point them out. I don't say that someone with their first post "gets it" just because it backs up what I claim.

If I'm not mistaken, you are FT. You have told us on more than one occasion that you only work at FedEx for the benefits as investments are your primary source of income. The only real benefit difference between FT and PT is short-term disability. Perhaps that's the benefit that's most important to you but that coverage can be purchased outside of FedEx. What I don't understand is why, if FedEx is such a crap company to work for and doesn't meet your needs, why you say it meets your needs? At the very least, and if STD isn't the most important benefit to you, why wouldn't you just go part-time so you don't have to put up with as much crap? More importantly, why wouldn't you just go work for a company that treats you better and has the benefits you need?

This is not the same old "if you don't like it go elsewhere" argument. That stance often doesn't work for people because they are in it for more than just the benefits. As you've stated that's all you're in it for, it seems that you are not restricted in that choice the way others may be.

I live and work in one of the 10 largest cities in America. There are things that I don't agree with but as I've said, I don't post on every subject so you are reading into it what you want to get out of it.

I would bet that you know less than 1% of the 20+ year employees. so your anecdotal evidence is just that, anecdotal. As is mine, but I don't pretend that it's a statistically significant sampling.

I thought Boeing 777's were aircraft. I thought Boeing 757's were aircraft as well. Did FedEx not just by several of each? I thought that those things with 4 wheels and doors were vehicles. Did FedEx not by a few thousand recently and are buying several thousand more this year? $25 million might buy several hundred vehicles but it doesn't buy one 777 and I don't think it buys one 757 either. So go ahead and have a vote, nothing is stopping you. It's now easier under the RLA. You don't even need everyone to vote. In fact, it's probably better that way from a union perspective. Get a vote organized in a handful of large cities where you just know you'll get yes votes and you are all set. Right? No more "it's too difficult to organize a national vote". You don't need a national vote, per se. You just need to push the voting where it counts. Unless, of course, the unions know that even that wouldn't be enough votes to win. Nah, that couldn't be it, could it?
There is no way you are not a manger with that attitude. You are living in La La land if you don't think their would be enough votes to get a union in. I can speak for my station that the only people that wouldn't be in favor of the union are the 10-12 suckers who are terrified of mgmt and a couple of topped out couriers who feel that if the union came in it would change the job to where we would all have to work much harder. For example day drivers would have to get pickups at night like they do at brown. At our station one or two guys were in contact with the teamsters and they handed out cards to fill out to geta read on who would be in favor of it. When it was said and done 84% signed the cards. You don't have a clue. You're definitely a manager.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

More crap. Fred could have bought an additional $25 million of anything with the money spent on the RLA. And I've never claimed a had a simple random sample of 20+ year employees that were statistically verifiable. I just know what I see, and that is a lot of unhappy employees who think FedEx sucks.

I stay FT because I have a FT schedule that allows me to do my sideline activities, like real estate and investing. When FT intrudes on those opportunities, I'll downgrade to PT or quit. I always try to maximize my return, so if I can work 45 hours for FedEx and still do what I need to do, it's that much more money for me to re-invest.

Sorry, but you do sound like a "lackey", always inventing "facts" to negate my opinions, which I have very clearly stated are just that. "Go ahead and vote". What kind of BS is that? Just how do we conduct a nationwide vote without nationwide organization? FedEx has structured their entire operation around being non-union, and the strict anti-solicitation policies and targeting of pro-union employees ensures we won't have a vote any time soon. Just like WalMart, FedEx says one thing, and does another when it comes to being anti-union. What do you think would happen to me (or anyone else) who actively solicits for a union? If I stand outside the station before work and hand out flyers, I've just painted myself fluorescent orange as a target for harassment and intimidaton, up to and including termination for whatever "violation" of company policy they can invent.

Only a company stooge would get on here and try to sell the crap you peddle. I tend to agree that you are a manager, probably assigned here to offer disinformation.

quadro

There is no way you are not a manger with that attitude. You are living in La La land if you don't think their would be enough votes to get a union in.
And yet, with all that money on the table for the unions, there hasn't even been a half-hearted effort to get that vote. Regardless of anything else, don't lose sight of the fact that a union is a business. If they thought they could get a win, they'd be all over it. Or to put it another way, the fact that they aren't all over it should tell you what they think their chances of winning are.

quadro

More crap. Fred could have bought an additional $25 million of anything with the money spent on the RLA. And I've never claimed a had a simple random sample of 20+ year employees that were statistically verifiable. I just know what I see, and that is a lot of unhappy employees who think FedEx sucks.
And unlike you, I don't tell you what you see. If you see it fine, but just because I don't doesn't mean I'm any more right than you or you are any more right than me. Interesting that you focused on the amount and not the misinformation you were trying to spread about planes and vehicles.

I stay FT because I have a FT schedule that allows me to do my sideline activities, like real estate and investing. When FT intrudes on those opportunities, I'll downgrade to PT or quit. I always try to maximize my return, so if I can work 45 hours for FedEx and still do what I need to do, it's that much more money for me to re-invest.
So for now, FedEx meets your needs. Except when I say that I have my head up my rear end.

Sorry, but you do sound like a "lackey", always inventing "facts" to negate my opinions, which I have very clearly stated are just that.
You mean like inventing facts about not buying planes and vehicles?
"Go ahead and vote". What kind of BS is that? Just how do we conduct a nationwide vote without nationwide organization?
You don't need nationwide organization. You seem to conveniently leave that part out. If, as you and others claim, there are so many people that want a union, all the union would have to do is organize in some of the larger cities, at least at the beginning. If they get the 50%+1 of those that vote, it no longer matters if most of the people don't vote.

Only a company stooge would get on here and try to sell the crap you peddle. I tend to agree that you are a manager, probably assigned here to offer disinformation.
Except I'm not offering any disinformation. Show me what I've said is wrong. You're the one who spreads disinformation (see the comment you made about the planes and vehicles). And again, it appears that only you can have experiences and opinions. Thanks for proving my point.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And unlike you, I don't tell you what you see. If you see it fine, but just because I don't doesn't mean I'm any more right than you or you are any more right than me. Interesting that you focused on the amount and not the misinformation you were trying to spread about planes and vehicles.

So for now, FedEx meets your needs. Except when I say that I have my head up my rear end.

You mean like inventing facts about not buying planes and vehicles?

You don't need nationwide organization. You seem to conveniently leave that part out. If, as you and others claim, there are so many people that want a union, all the union would have to do is organize in some of the larger cities, at least at the beginning. If they get the 50%+1 of those that vote, it no longer matters if most of the people don't vote.

Except I'm not offering any disinformation. Show me what I've said is wrong. You're the one who spreads disinformation (see the comment you made about the planes and vehicles). And again, it appears that only you can have experiences and opinions. Thanks for proving my point.

Whatever. Did I not say that Fred could have spent that extraneous $25 million on anything? Yes, I did. That could be planes, trucks, or pet toys. Exactly what don't you understand about the concept of "anything"? And the facts are that Fred S spent huge money this past year to keep the unions out. It's also a fact that our entire pay structure is a systematic effort to screw employees. It's also a fact that a large percentage of FedEx employees are unhappy, especially with upper management. Just take a walk around a station some morning and listen to the general chatter. Most is critical of management, the company, or both. Consistently, as in every day.

Quit putting words in my mouth. FedEx does not meet most of my needs. I meet my own needs and then some by my own devices. The insurance isn't very good, but it's cheaper than buying it on my own. Simple dollars and cents. FedEx sucks, but having insurance makes sense for me and my family. There are plenty of employees whose sole reason for staying is having some sort of coverage, even if it's bad.

If we don't need natiowide organization, please tell me why Mr Smith thinks it's so important to be covered under the RLA? Simple, because even if the large cities want unions (and we do), the right to work and conservative states won't be easy to organize. Smith knows that, and so do you. Again, why fight so hard to keep a classification that is "meaningless"? Why not put that $25 million in Fred's back pocket, and properly classify Express under the NLRA? Why spend money that doesn't need to be spent? The answer is obvious.

The only thing you've "proved" is that you really are the lackey that you said you were.

quadro

Whatever. Did I not say that Fred could have spent that extraneous $25 million on anything? Yes, I did. That could be planes, trucks, or pet toys. Exactly what don't you understand about the concept of "anything"?
Deflecting again. My, my. Once again, you chose to focus on that $25million and say nothing about the purchase of vehicles and aircraft. Your original statement about the $25million implied that vehicles and aircraft hadn't been purchased which is incorrect. Yes the $25million could have been spent on just about anything but at a company this size, the reality is that it doesn't go very far. Sad but true.
And the facts are that Fred S spent huge money this past year to keep the unions out. It's also a fact that our entire pay structure is a systematic effort to screw employees. It's also a fact that a large percentage of FedEx employees are unhappy, especially with upper management. Just take a walk around a station some morning and listen to the general chatter. Most is critical of management, the company, or both. Consistently, as in every day.
You really have no idea what percentage of employees are unhappy. Neither do I for that matter. So it is certainly not a fact, merely your opinion. I am curious though how pay raises that are higher than the national average as reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics is a "systematic effort to screw employees"? As I'm just a lackey, I would appreciate it if you could edumacate me.

Quit putting words in my mouth. FedEx does not meet most of my needs. I meet my own needs and then some by my own devices. The insurance isn't very good, but it's cheaper than buying it on my own. Simple dollars and cents. FedEx sucks, but having insurance makes sense for me and my family. There are plenty of employees whose sole reason for staying is having some sort of coverage, even if it's bad.
You have a need for health insurance and FedEx meets that need for now. If you could find something better either A. you would, or B. you're a glutton for punishment.

If we don't need natiowide organization, please tell me why Mr Smith thinks it's so important to be covered under the RLA? Simple, because even if the large cities want unions (and we do), the right to work and conservative states won't be easy to organize. Smith knows that, and so do you. Again, why fight so hard to keep a classification that is "meaningless"? Why not put that $25 million in Fred's back pocket, and properly classify Express under the NLRA? Why spend money that doesn't need to be spent? The answer is obvious.
Why would you need to organize the right to work and conservative states? You only need 50%+1 of the votes cast. Just organize in the large cities that are full of disgruntled employees as you so claim. Surely there would be enough votes to get the 50%+1 needed and then the union at least has its foot in the door. I know you are aware of the change in voting rules so why are you bringing up issues that aren't necessarily relevant?

The only thing you've "proved" is that you really are the lackey that you said you were.
What exactly is missing from your life that you feel the need to constantly put people down? You know you can always call People Help.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Deflecting again. My, my. Once again, you chose to focus on that $25million and say nothing about the purchase of vehicles and aircraft. Your original statement about the $25million implied that vehicles and aircraft hadn't been purchased which is incorrect. Yes the $25million could have been spent on just about anything but at a company this size, the reality is that it doesn't go very far. Sad but true.

You really have no idea what percentage of employees are unhappy. Neither do I for that matter. So it is certainly not a fact, merely your opinion. I am curious though how pay raises that are higher than the national average as reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics is a "systematic effort to screw employees"? As I'm just a lackey, I would appreciate it if you could edumacate me.

You have a need for health insurance and FedEx meets that need for now. If you could find something better either A. you would, or B. you're a glutton for punishment.

Why would you need to organize the right to work and conservative states? You only need 50%+1 of the votes cast. Just organize in the large cities that are full of disgruntled employees as you so claim. Surely there would be enough votes to get the 50%+1 needed and then the union at least has its foot in the door. I know you are aware of the change in voting rules so why are you bringing up issues that aren't necessarily relevant?

What exactly is missing from your life that you feel the need to constantly put people down? You know you can always call People Help.

I put you down because you're a flak for FedEx, plain and simple. You don't have my respect, and if you feel like you're being put down, consider the reasons why that might be. I think you'd be the better candidate for People Help because you have a delusional belief in the overall goodness of FedEx. Perhaps you can talk to someone about that and learn to see things as they really are.

quadro

I put you down because you're a flak for FedEx, plain and simple. You don't have my respect, and if you feel like you're being put down, consider the reasons why that might be. I think you'd be the better candidate for People Help because you have a delusional belief in the overall goodness of FedEx. Perhaps you can talk to someone about that and learn to see things as they really are.
I don't feel like I'm being put down. I'm simply pointing out that you put down most people (all?) that don't agree with you. That is illustrative of your superiority complex. Rather than discuss a point that could possibly prove you wrong or weaken your argument, you just throw around insults and accusations.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't feel like I'm being put down. I'm simply pointing out that you put down most people (all?) that don't agree with you. That is illustrative of your superiority complex. Rather than discuss a point that could possibly prove you wrong or weaken your argument, you just throw around insults and accusations.

You're free to disagree, as is anyone else. I don't own this forum, but I do have strong opinions about the corrupt nature of FedEx, and that is going to be reflected in my responses.