Net Neutrality

oldngray

nowhere special
I'm not a mind reader, differentiate your thoughts from your copy and paste. Italics work well.

If you were to read your own link you would have grasped this:

Supporters of broadband reclassification say the FCC could exempt broadband from most telecom-style regulations. Title II is the only way the FCC can ensure “clear, bright-line” rules prohibiting broadband providers from selectively blocking or throttling Web content will be enforceable, countered Michael Weinberg, vice president of digital rights group Public Knowledge.

So supporters of reclassification claim that? What a surprise that is. I never claimed I was a supporter and your quote is taken out of context from that article.

Sportello

So supporters of reclassification claim that? What a surprise that is. I never claimed I was a supporter and your quote is taken out of context from that article.
No, all you do is spout RW talking points. Trying to engage in a meaningful discussion with you is extremely frustrating.

I'm beginning to think you really don't ponder the consequences of what you are told to believe.

oldngray

nowhere special
No, all you do is spout RW talking points. Trying to engage in a meaningful discussion with you is extremely frustrating.

I'm beginning to think you really don't ponder the consequences of what you are told to believe.

Unlike you I am able to read and form my own opinion based on facts. Not like your thoughtless spouting of liberal talking points.

brett636

Another way to put this situation into perspective is this. People are afraid of a few large entities, namely the telecom and cable companies, from controlling the entire internet. So to fix this problem we are going to hand control of the internet to a single entity(the government), and most people seem ok with this because they think they control this single entity. Although I am certain on Thursday we the people will see that we actually have little control over it, and in reality it has control over us...

Sportello

Some things should be under government control, take utilities, for example. Is it cost effective for the power company to run lines to every corner of America? No, but they are required to. The new regulations would require that this little site gets the same priority as anyone else. When you click the link it takes you here, instead of asking you if you'd rather go to some 'coffee' shop in Amsterdam, and then deliver the site at 56k speeds because Cheryl and Tony wont pony up the cash to Comcast or whomever to get in the 'fast' lane.

Honestly people.

brett636

Some things should be under government control, take utilities, for example. Is it cost effective for the power company to run lines to every corner of America? No, but they are required to. The new regulations would require that this little site gets the same priority as anyone else. When you click the link it takes you here, instead of asking you if you'd rather go to some 'coffee' shop in Amsterdam, and then deliver the site at 56k speeds because Cheryl and Tony wont pony up the cash to Comcast or whomever to get in the 'fast' lane.

Honestly people.

That is until someone in the government objects to the Content of this site and begins to fine Cheryl and Tony for not putting the government mandated content on the site or allow government banned content on it. Or say Cheryl and Tony had a competitor to this site who had more money and lobbied the government for certain internet regulations that would put them out of business. Happens all the time in the world of Crony capitalism, just look at the XL oil pipline and who would lose if it were constructed...

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
So your answer to this problem is to expand on government powers? Your avatar is very fitting...
You suggested net neutrality would lead to the government monitoring what you view on the internet. I'm just pointing out the fact that they've been doing that for a decade or more.
There is no perfect solution when it comes to net neutrality.
In regards to my avatar, The Simpsons is an American treasure.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Net neutrality battle pitches activists and FCC against Big Cable and GOP - The Guardian

President Obama supports new rules that if passed will regulate the internet like water and electricity – executives and Republican politicians do not

This week, FCC commissioners will start discussing a new set of rules for regulating the web that could ban fast lanes. That ban would be part of a set of rules that, if passed, will regulate the internet in the similar way to utilities like water or electricity – a move net activists have been dreaming of for decades, believing it will allow the regulator to better protect net neutrality. The change in tone has been swift and dramatic

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Press release from Public Knowledge

Public Knowledge Commends FCC for Adopting Landmark Net Neutrality Rules

Today, the Federal Communications Commission voted to adopt Chairman Wheeler’s strong net neutrality rules to reclassify the Internet as a Title II service under the Communications Act. Public Knowledge commends the FCC for listening to the 4 million Americans who submitted comments supporting an Open Internet despite brutal opposition from large Internet Service Providers.

The following may be attributed to Michael Weinberg, Senior Vice President of Public Knowledge:

“After an unprecedented outpouring of public support, today the FCC voted to enact the strongest net neutrality rules in history. By embracing its Title II authority and creating clear, bright-line rules against blocking and discrimination, Chairman Wheeler and the FCC have earned a reputation as defenders of an Open Internet.

“This day would not have happened without the support of the millions of Americans who commented with the FCC, called Congress, and wrote to the White House. This bipartisan wave of Open Internet supporters from across the country came together to make it clear to their government that it had a crucial role in protecting an Open Internet.

“After months and years of hard work and advocacy, today is a day to celebrate. Thank you, FCC, for standing up for consumers to achieve this historic victory for net neutrality. Your landmark work will be remembered by the American people.”

Sportello

Press release from Public Knowledge

Public Knowledge Commends FCC for Adopting Landmark Net Neutrality Rules

Today, the Federal Communications Commission voted to adopt Chairman Wheeler’s strong net neutrality rules to reclassify the Internet as a Title II service under the Communications Act. Public Knowledge commends the FCC for listening to the 4 million Americans who submitted comments supporting an Open Internet despite brutal opposition from large Internet Service Providers.

The following may be attributed to Michael Weinberg, Senior Vice President of Public Knowledge:

“After an unprecedented outpouring of public support, today the FCC voted to enact the strongest net neutrality rules in history. By embracing its Title II authority and creating clear, bright-line rules against blocking and discrimination, Chairman Wheeler and the FCC have earned a reputation as defenders of an Open Internet.

“This day would not have happened without the support of the millions of Americans who commented with the FCC, called Congress, and wrote to the White House. This bipartisan wave of Open Internet supporters from across the country came together to make it clear to their government that it had a crucial role in protecting an Open Internet.

“After months and years of hard work and advocacy, today is a day to celebrate. Thank you, FCC, for standing up for consumers to achieve this historic victory for net neutrality. Your landmark work will be remembered by the American people.”

Hurray!

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
330 new pages of Internet REGULATIONS that the public isn't allowed to see yet.

Does this sound like:
IF YOU LIKE YOUR INTERNET, YOU CAN KEEP YOUR INTERNET to anyone else?