New employee's afraid of company

mva1985

The union should be powerless. You work for me. You guys are no different than someone flipping hamburgers at McDonalds. You work for a company. You don't need any power. Despite what your union friends tell you, in the big scheme of things none of you have any power...

The hourly employees do work for UPS but we DO have a contract that governs how things are done. You should respect that contract just like you would respect a customer's contract with UPS.

TheKid

Hey Stewie, Lets me and you have a contest. It will be like one of those Super Bowl bets that the state officials have. You win...I send you some lobsta'........I win....you send me some cheese steak......READY ?........Let's see who can ignore Socks the longest............Ready...set...GO ! ! ! ! !

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
New employees at UPS hear stories every day from management about what happens to you when you won't toe the line. Every day, they are given a new policy to obey and warned they will be fired if they don't. The next day they are told of 2 or 3 people who didn't listen and were fired. Meanwhile, they hear nothing from the union. They see someone once every 4 or 5 years at contract and see their dues come out of every paycheck, and nothing else. Their impression (and often mine, as I have been here over 20 years now) is that the union does nothing to help them. I consider withdrawing 3 or 4 times a year after seeing what is going on in this company and the inability of the union to affect change.
This lack of visibility by the union is a huge mistake; UPS doesn't have to try to bust the union, they are doing it to themselves.
It is time for the union to send the message that they are still around and still effective or they will wither and die.

You speek of the Union as if it is some far off corporation that you have no part of and no contact with. The Union is YOU. The membership is the Union, sure it has elected leadership, but my friends, you complain about the Union not being a part of your shop. That is only because the membership is not involved. You want more Union involvement, get more involved with the Union, go to meetings, tell everyone you work with to go to meetings. The education of the membership is the key to a strong Union.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I have. The company issues me warning letters for being difficult. If I haven't done anything wrong, they make things up. They have made their point crystal clear to me. I have seen no equivalent show of power from the union.

john50841,
It is Corporate UPS Policy to develop and maintain professional relations with Labor Union Representatives. Stewards are representatives, so this policy inludes them. It is also Corporate UPS Policy to respect and fulfill the labor agreements. This can be found clearly written in the current UPS Policy Book on page 24.

Unfortunately may Local UPS management people have little or no regard for Corporate UPS policies. They give this attitude that they don't want corporate coming down and meddling in the "real world" or coming into their "barn". These local UPS management put on a show and cover up how they really operate whenever they may get a visit from corporate.

Corporate UPS should be informed whenever local management are seeking to side step the contracts.

Corporate UPS should be informed whenever good union members are being harassed, intimidated, and retalitated against by local management people when they are actively try to uphold UPS policy by upholding the labor contracts or agreements.

This should be done in addition to setting the approriate grievance machinery in motion. This way corporate UPS can be held accountable to handle the UPS corporate policy issues and the local union can handle the local managements violations of union contracts.

Sincerely,
I

telly

Newbies are great they frustrate the ___ out of you. Supervisor's/management's job is to see what they can get away with. They are pests testing the limits of people that are actually working. But grievances are part of the arrangement they are really just business. They don't label you as a trouble maker but a professional doing work and expecting to be able to do that work without harassment. If your area is like mine there are alot of young people but its not high school and the high school games have no place. Telling someone they will be labeled as a troublemaker is a joke, at some point you will fall from your supvs/mngrs grace grievance or not; and at that point you will need to know what you can do to rectify the situation in an appropriate and professional way. The grievance process is about having a work environment free of petty distracting harassment that in the end actually slows down production. It benefits both the company and the workers and should be used without worry that it is not the right thing to do. Its actually a business arrangement and anyone that doesnt understand that needs to be educated (worker or supvs/mngr) so thank you for doing your part. It has been my experience that most people dont understand that basic fact and take the process personally creating undo friction. And if someone does feel that they are being targeted by the company making a written complant is actually the best way to protect themselves it provides a paper trail to help explain the scope of the situation that is happening. (Its called covering your butt, I always highly recommend it.) Your efforts are to be commended you are an asset to the union and the company - thank you! - keep it up.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Then John, how 'bout you steppin up? Put your name out there to be shop steward. Take the reigns, be the voice. YOU (we) are the Union!

You know that isn't how it works everywhere. Local 25 perfect example. They only appoint who they want to be steward. There are no elections, only hand pickings.

L

Loufan

I know if I had someone telling me everyday to file file file, I would get quite sick of it fast. Let them know you're there if they need help or to talk, but stop bugging them.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
You work for me.
socks, another brainless word of wisdom from a narcissistic madman

we dont work for you, we work for ups, when your name appears on the check, then we work for you, not before.

one thing i might point out is that the new people coming on have been out there lookin for a job. they know how hard it is to find something with a future or good pay. so they will be willing to do things they normally wouldnt to keep the job. they are also more prone to intimidation by ups management like socks, to do things not only morally wrong, but illegal. so you really cant blame them, going hungry, doing without, being homeless etc are all powerful motivators in business that are being used/misused today.

d

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Did you know that a study was done, that showed 1 in 10 incarcerated criminals were diagnosed with one of the 3 personality disorders NPD, HPD, BPD (all self-serving egotist diagnosis in the DSM) while 3 in 10 corporate executives studied were diagnosed? :D

Scooter1

Give this man a cigar!!!!

A Cuban one of course. That is right, you can not be disciplined or retaliated against for soliciting grievances. I have seen both UPS and Union officials tell employees they can nont solicit grievances. UPS says they have a "no solicitation policy", but they fail to tell us it only applies to non-union matters (people selling stuff and asking for money at work etc.), but even so, they will still solicite us for United Way or other UPS projects.

It's a steward's job to encourage employees to file grievances whenever there is a violation because is strengthens our contract. Those who don't file weaken our contract. Those newbies will eventually learn, you can only be bullied around so many times before you have to fight back.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
A Cuban one of course. That is right, you can not be disciplined or retaliated against for soliciting grievances. I have seen both UPS and Union officials tell employees they can nont solicit grievances. UPS says they have a "no solicitation policy", but they fail to tell us it only applies to non-union matters (people selling stuff and asking for money at work etc.), but even so, they will still solicite us for United Way or other UPS projects.

It's a steward's job to encourage employees to file grievances whenever there is a violation because is strengthens our contract. Those who don't file weaken our contract. Those newbies will eventually learn, you can only be bullied around so many times before you have to fight back.

AMEN!!!

tieguy

Banned
john50841,
It is Corporate UPS Policy to develop and maintain professional relations with Labor Union Representatives. Stewards are representatives, so this policy inludes them. It is also Corporate UPS Policy to respect and fulfill the labor agreements. This can be found clearly written in the current UPS Policy Book on page 24.

Sincerely,
I

Does the union have a similar policy? what page of what book is it written on?

local804

You know that isn't how it works everywhere. Local 25 perfect example. They only appoint who they want to be steward. There are no elections, only hand pickings.

Are you sure about this ? Are you getting union steward and company foreman confused? I know every local can appoint stewards till the bi laws state the elections can take place. I cant see a long island teamster local not having steward elections but hell, maybe I am wrong.

KingofBrown

Newbies are great they frustrate the ___ out of you. Supervisor's/management's job is to see what they can get away with. They are pests testing the limits of people that are actually working. But grievances are part of the arrangement they are really just business. They don't label you as a trouble maker but a professional doing work and expecting to be able to do that work without harassment. If your area is like mine there are alot of young people but its not high school and the high school games have no place. Telling someone they will be labeled as a troublemaker is a joke, at some point you will fall from your supvs/mngrs grace grievance or not; and at that point you will need to know what you can do to rectify the situation in an appropriate and professional way. The grievance process is about having a work environment free of petty distracting harassment that in the end actually slows down production. It benefits both the company and the workers and should be used without worry that it is not the right thing to do. Its actually a business arrangement and anyone that doesnt understand that needs to be educated (worker or supvs/mngr) so thank you for doing your part. It has been my experience that most people dont understand that basic fact and take the process personally creating undo friction. And if someone does feel that they are being targeted by the company making a written complant is actually the best way to protect themselves it provides a paper trail to help explain the scope of the situation that is happening. (Its called covering your butt, I always highly recommend it.) Your efforts are to be commended you are an asset to the union and the company - thank you! - keep it up.

Great writing. Thanks for the info.

Don't bothe3r putting in grievance about UPS, because the Union doesn't do anything about it. I've done it before and didn't do nothing about it. I had a beef with a supervisor and they never did anything.

UPSSOCKS

Don't bothe3r putting in grievance about UPS, because the Union doesn't do anything about it. I've done it before and didn't do nothing about it. I had a beef with a supervisor and they never did anything.

Finally someone has figured it out. The union only cares about your money. They don't care about you. The teamsters didn't start because someone cared about people. It started because it was an easy way to make money off dumb people. The Union is the oldest pyramid scheme in the book.