New fedex express part time courier (bait and switch)

FUFred

a few yrs ago I had 30 hours at the end of a Thursday night and was only scheduled to do a part time pickup rt on Friday. I was asked to come in Friday morning to do a del Rt route so I'd get my hours. I couldn't I had a doctors appointment and that's why I was working the half day. The manager said that wasn't a problem but I would forfeit my guaranteed pay that week. I think part time works the same way.

Maui

Thanks a lot guys. someone told me about being guaranteed 17 hours even if I don't work that long. but managers ask me to work late on a different 8 hour shift but I refuse. so by me refusing coming back that day I forfeit my 17 hours?

It's a little complicated, but you can not be forced to work in the PM to get your guaranteed hours. The policy may have changed, but any additional work should be within 2 hours of your scheduled start time. Refusing to come in on your day off does not "cancel mins" either unless you have signed a waiver.

Hope this helps.

Maui

a few yrs ago I had 30 hours at the end of a Thursday night and was only scheduled to do a part time pickup rt on Friday. I was asked to come in Friday morning to do a del Rt route so I'd get my hours. I couldn't I had a doctors appointment and that's why I was working the half day. The manager said that wasn't a problem but I would forfeit my guaranteed pay that week. I think part time works the same way.

The rules are much more favorable for PT. FT means you simply can not refuse any work (note: 6th day is NOT required; in that case you should be paid mins PLUS OT for that day).

FUFred

The rules are much more favorable for PT. FT means you simply can not refuse any work (note: 6th day is NOT required; in that case you should be paid mins PLUS OT for that day).

I should have mentioned I was full time swing at the time of that incident.

cancan

In 13 years as both a part time and full time courier and did my stint as a swing I have received my guarantee twice. Both times because I think no one was paying attention and received a verbal reprimand after one of them for not bringing it to their attention I wasn't getting enough hours. During our last crazy hire binge I went home one Friday with 13 hours on my check as a FT swing. Nobody asked me to work additional hours. They just cancelled my guarantee. Part timers were getting 50 plus hours then. I think managers get in serious poopoo if they let a guarantee slip by. They are even working handlers at my station past the 17.5. The original idea of the part time handler guarantee was cooked up at the Memphis Hub as an incentive for people to get done with the sort and get out. The more hours they worked the more they were cutting into their guarantee. Now its just looked at as a relic of Federal Express they haven't figured out how to wittle away just yet.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Maui

In 13 years as both a part time and full time courier and did my stint as a swing I have received my guarantee twice. Both times because I think no one was paying attention and received a verbal reprimand after one of them for not bringing it to their attention I wasn't getting enough hours. During our last crazy hire binge I went home one Friday with 13 hours on my check as a FT swing. Nobody asked me to work additional hours. They just cancelled my guarantee. Part timers were getting 50 plus hours then. I think managers get in serious poopoo if they let a guarantee slip by. They are even working handlers at my station past the 17.5. The original idea of the part time handler guarantee was cooked up at the Memphis Hub as an incentive for people to get done with the sort and get out. The more hours they worked the more they were cutting into their guarantee. Now its just looked at as a relic of Federal Express they haven't figured out how to wittle away just yet.

Sent using BrownCafe App

As a handler I received guarantee pay frequently. As a manager I paid mins to handlers. I know several swings and every CSA at nearby station were paid mins in 2012.

If someone "just cancels" mins that is grounds for termination. Pay issues are #1 territory for lawsuits. Also not your fault if they are too stupid to balance hours. They should run a FAMIS136 to check hours. They should be reprimanded if a PT has even 31 hours and a FT swing has less than 35. No excuse for that.

cancan

As a handler I received guarantee pay frequently. As a manager I paid mins to handlers. I know several swings and every CSA at nearby station were paid mins in 2012.

If someone "just cancels" mins that is grounds for termination. Pay issues are #1 territory for lawsuits. Also not your fault if they are too stupid to balance hours. They should run a FAMIS136 to check hours. They should be reprimanded if a PT has even 31 hours and a FT swing has less than 35. No excuse for that.

Our Senior is out to take Fred's job. Managers do everything to earn his respect and often skirt the law to please him.

Sent using BrownCafe App

cancan

And I hope you are a good manager. The kind being driven out of Express. Lay out the expectations and let's do it. What I have now are people I have to spend 30 minutes boiling out the bull crap to figure out what they want. Not sure how you deal with the constant integrity clash. I've had a couple good managers. The rest shake my hand and tell me to sign here. You effed up on this thing that you didn't know was an issue.

Sent using BrownCafe App

whenIgetthere

I worked 31+ hrs two weeks ago, was paid minimum for 35. PT's were getting 50 that week, I kept my mouth shut, worked my scheduled routes and went home. Was never asked to come in earlier, help someone out or work the reload.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Managers will often try and sweet talk you into opting out of minimums, because it makes them look bad when they have to actually pay anyone minimums. That means that productivity isn't being "optimized". Amazingly, a lot of stupid employees fall for it, thinking it's scoring brownie points with the boss.

Maui

And I hope you are a good manager. The kind being driven out of Express. Lay out the expectations and let's do it. What I have now are people I have to spend 30 minutes boiling out the bull crap to figure out what they want. Not sure how you deal with the constant integrity clash. I've had a couple good managers. The rest shake my hand and tell me to sign here. You effed up on this thing that you didn't know was an issue.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I left the company in 2012. Many of the problems you guys have are present for managers too. Ridiculous policies, little chance to move up, non-existent pay progression etc.

It is really annoying when a manager kinda sucks, but makes 30K more than you because s/he has been in position for 20 years. This true even if one has been a manager for 10 years.

I had a great Sr manager and peer managers. It was the direction of the company as a whole that precipitated my leaving. I had 80s and 90s SFA. I just knew I was going nowhere there.

overflowed

I left the company in 2012. Many of the problems you guys have are present for managers too. Ridiculous policies, little chance to move up, non-existent pay progression etc.

It is really annoying when a manager kinda sucks, but makes 30K more than you because s/he has been in position for 20 years. This true even if one has been a manager for 10 years.

I had a great Sr manager and peer managers. It was the direction of the company as a whole that precipitated my leaving. I had 80s and 90s SFA. I just knew I was going nowhere there.
So the disconnect from upper management is as extreme to ops managers as is to the couriers?