new hire union - how do I join union

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Re: new hire union

Hey guys I'm a new hire and I was wondering where I can find some information on joining/ not joining a union. thanks

Welcome cc,

I believe you will get more views in teh UPS Labor forum so I am moving your thread to that forum.

Happy posting.

Last edited:

chopstic

Hey guys I'm a new hire and I was wondering where I can find some information on joining/ not joining a union. thanks

Hi christian... did you get hired in the U.S. in a UPS package handling position? If so, you probably already signed the paperwork to join the union. Unfortunately its not a choice for most of us, but there are a few states that allow you the right to choose whether to join the union or not join. I suggest you speak with your HR representative about it.

gandydancer

Unless you're in a Right to Work state joining the Union, or at least paying them to represent you, is a condition of your employment, and you will see a nice chunk of your pay check taken away for, first, Intitiation Fees and then monthly dues. But you will find you need the Union to protect you from management abuse, so it's a necessary expense.

What's your question, exactly?

UPSNewbie

If monday was your first day, and you're in training, the last day of it, they should bring in a steward to talk about it. They did for me, anyways.

christian c

I am in Texas so it's an option for me, and I have already talked to a steward. She wasn't very helpful with information and I was really looking for some unbiased pros/cons.

raceanoncr

I am in Texas so it's an option for me, and I have already talked to a steward. She wasn't very helpful with information and I was really looking for some unbiased pros/cons.

I'll throw a few of my cents worth. How long do you want to work here? You want to become friend/T? You want to be P/T supervisor? You want to become friend/T supervisor/manager? I think a little bit of self-examination is needed. Why? Well, I'll get dissed on this but here goes:

You only plan to be here for a short time, as in finishing your schooling then going off to pursue other interests, I don't think it's financially to your benefit to join, if you have the option. As was said, you'll have initiation dues taken out then monthly dues after that. You ready for that? You want that if you're only here for a yr or two?

You want some stability in your life if you choose to move on to other positions, such as driver, then you NEED to join. You will be faced with issues that you not believe could have existed in a corporation. You may be the hardest worker you have ever known and dedicated to your job but there will always be something in your 5, 10, 20, 30 year career that'll come up that you wish you had more protection.

Joining is not a matter of making more $. You get the same as your position pays, union or not. To me, it's a matter of protection. I've used the union many times over the years when I didn't plan to when I was hired. Not that I'm a trouble maker, I just want things done right when I do things right. You'll always come across a green supe that wants to knock the earth off its axis and come up with some off-the-wall plan that's gonna do that. It's gonna affect YOU. What recourse do you have when his/her plan is wrong and it's wronging YOU?

There's way more but this will get things rolling again for you and on here for you AND me. Watch.

You don't get any answers from your steward, then go to a BA directly.

bscott85

if youre in a right to work state(where you dont HAVE to join the union)

then DONT

they still have to defend you and your paycheck will be fatter

chopstic

In my opinion... if you are part-time then there is really no point to join as the union caters only to full-timers. If you ever do decide to go full-time, You can at that time decide to join.

christian c

Thanks guys for the replies. I plan on staying with UPS for a very long time and I decided to join. At only 17 a month, I really dont see any reason not to.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
How is not joining the union going to prevent this?

I meant if you're avoiding package handling oeprations. Of course if you're a non-union hourly package handling, that's different and face the same thing.

I don't know of many 20 year old pimple faces in charge of PT sups, OMS, sales, IE, etc etc. That's what i meant.

JonFrum

Thanks guys for the replies. I plan on staying with UPS for a very long time and I decided to join. At only 17 a month, I really dont see any reason not to.
Only $17 a month???

Wow! That rate must be deliberately set low to entice part-timers to join.

Here in Local 42 (Lynn, Ma.) most part-timers pay $41 per month, and the high-seniority ones pay $87 per month. And many part-timers, even the high-seniority ones, only get three-and-one-half hours a day or so.

Part-time Initiation Fee is $200.