New older guy questions

OlderNoob

Hey everybody. I used to deliver packages as an IC with my own cargo van and i loved it. I worked 6 days/wk averaging 11 hours a day. I was forced out when the company I ran for went to 7 day delivery. I either had to run my route everyday or hire somebody, both bad options. Most of the people where I was couldn't get hired by Amazon, so I didn't want to be their boss.
Anyway, I miss the job a lot. Im 52 years old and I've thought of UPS many times but never made the leap. Im in good shape for my age and it's either time to do it now or use my CDL and drive a truck. I did the life math and figure if I can get on the driver progression within 2 years, UPS is the way to go. Otherwise I do better driving the truck, although that has its own health issues sitting behind the wheel all day.

1. I see posts on here from some places complaining of driver shortages while others say they have too many and are being sent home. Is there any way to find out how it is at the centers near me? I live almost exactly halfway between Roswell and Acworth centers in Georgia. I did try to ask a driver I saw on delivery but he rolled his eyes and blew me off. He probably thought I had $49/hr on the brain. I know it'll be a while.

2. I see some people say they worked inside for 2 years then became a Cover or Utility driver for 2 more before getting a route? Are these positions on the Package Car scale or are they different?

3. As an older guy, I probably don't want to load or unload for 2 years waiting to be a driver. What are some example of other jobs I could bid for that wouldn't take as much of a physical toll?

4. I saw in a post someone wrote "these new hires are going to get a rude awakening with the pension." Was there some big negative changeor was this just a troll?

5. As far as pension, I've seen different rules for older starters like Rule of 80 or 84. In Georgia, what age would I have to get to in order to not have any penalties and approximately much would it be, for example 3 years PT, 13 years FT?

Thanks for the time if you read this whole thing. I appreciate the time everybody puts in answering questions.

Brownwind

Hey everybody. I used to deliver packages as an IC with my own cargo van and i loved it. I worked 6 days/wk averaging 11 hours a day. I was forced out when the company I ran for went to 7 day delivery. I either had to run my route everyday or hire somebody, both bad options. Most of the people where I was couldn't get hired by Amazon, so I didn't want to be their boss.
Anyway, I miss the job a lot. Im 52 years old and I've thought of UPS many times but never made the leap. Im in good shape for my age and it's either time to do it now or use my CDL and drive a truck. I did the life math and figure if I can get on the driver progression within 2 years, UPS is the way to go. Otherwise I do better driving the truck, although that has its own health issues sitting behind the wheel all day.

1. I see posts on here from some places complaining of driver shortages while others say they have too many and are being sent home. Is there any way to find out how it is at the centers near me? I live almost exactly halfway between Roswell and Acworth centers in Georgia. I did try to ask a driver I saw on delivery but he rolled his eyes and blew me off. He probably thought I had $49/hr on the brain. I know it'll be a while.

2. I see some people say they worked inside for 2 years then became a Cover or Utility driver for 2 more before getting a route? Are these positions on the Package Car scale or are they different?

3. As an older guy, I probably don't want to load or unload for 2 years waiting to be a driver. What are some example of other jobs I could bid for that wouldn't take as much of a physical toll?

4. I saw in a post someone wrote "these new hires are going to get a rude awakening with the pension." Was there some big negative changeor was this just a troll?

5. As far as pension, I've seen different rules for older starters like Rule of 80 or 84. In Georgia, what age would I have to get to in order to not have any penalties and approximately much would it be, for example 3 years PT, 13 years FT?

Thanks for the time if you read this whole thing. I appreciate the time everybody puts in answering questions.
If you’re 52 and want to go through all the steps to get a route I would reconsider. Unless you’re unusually fortunate it won’t happen for ten years minimum.
You could always go into management.

PPH_over_9000

1. The only way to gather this info about your local UPS operations is to know a UPSer currently employed that is willing to give you unbiased information. You gotta know somebody, you gotta talk to them and figure it out, because what you're looking for is not publicly available with a google search.

2. I honestly don't know, but from what I do know every position has its own progression. What I can tell you is that I've been with UPS since 2012, started driving fulltime in 2020 yet still don't have a bidded route and I'm used as a cover driver on the most random stuff every single day.

3. So you're going to start as load/unload(/MAYBE small sort) but it sounds like you'd be looking to bid into a carwasher position or a shifter (parking package cars) position, but in some buildings these are extremely coveted position that can take upwards of two decades to obtain, barring some kind of lucky circumstance.

4. Can't call it, I'm still just trying to make it week-to-week.

5. See answer to #4.

FromOffTheStreets

With this new contract settled they're beginning the cutbacks.
They are trimming the tips in rural sections & cutting many routes. It might take quite a while for them to hire more drivers.
If you asked this question back when covid started & they couldn't find enough drivers I'd say go for it. Now, probably not.

Shorts365

Honestly they’re not likely to let you pass your probationary period as a driver. Fair? No. Discrimination? Absolutely. I’d hate for you to waste your time though.

Brownee

Varies by center and contacting local steward/driver(s) to get the straight dope is key. I found a center (not the closest to my home but only 10 minutes farther) that was expanding (split into 2 centers) and rode the wave. Started seasonal at an age older than you. Hired full-time thereafter with no break in employment. Had my own route after 1 year as cover and have been driving a M-friend route that is in every day the last 4 years. Already in the top 1/3 seniority in my center after 6 years.

So unicorns are out there!!!!

Commercial Inside Release

but he rolled his eyes and blew me off.

They'll put you to work unloading 130° trailers for 90-days. If they need you as a temporary seasonal driver, they might send you to driving school, and let you drive during peak season. Whether they let you drive or not, you will definitely go back to unloading in January, or be laid off (perhaps indefinitely.)

If you find yourself unloading in February, you might finally get to the lowest level of seniority and be able to sign a bid sheet for something besides unload. It might be years before you have enough seniority to win a bid for anything, let alone driving. You will have to make it 9 months from your hire date, before you will qualify for benefits... So, plan on making COBRA payments to your current healthcare, if you have any (COBRA will devour your entire paycheck as a part time unloader.)

So basically for the first nine months, you will be mislead; jerked around; & lied to... While you go broke doing some barbaric slave labor for free, and watching your coworkers stand around talking and picking their butts. After 9mos, you'll still probably be unloading for several years at $500-600\week, but with good benefits.

Sound fun? $49 per hour indeed.

You shoulda been here in 2019 or 2020. You're years away from a good bid or a driving job. Walmart starts drivers at $85k - $110k, I'd try that if you have 3yrs+ if verifiable CDL experience.

Commercial Inside Release

Honestly they’re not likely to let you pass your probationary period as a driver. Fair? No. Discrimination? Absolutely. I’d hate for you to waste your time though.

Also, what Shorts365 described above - they probably won't let you qualify to be a driver, if your first crack at driving is several years later when you are over 55yo. Maybe if you kiss their atz in a small market, but probably not in the Georgian MSA.

You might get lucky and kiss the right atz around there... Look for a grey haired lady with goofy glasses. Her name is Carol.

OlderNoob

Thank you all for your replies. I did see another post about an older guy that was having trouble qualifying and they were suspicious as to why. Your replies seem to say it wasn't his fault, and that sucks.

So it looks like I'll lean towards the Big Rig. I do have a daughter in middle school so I don't really want to be away from home until she leaves for college.

In my situation, if you really do like the job, would you consider going to FedEx Express? Starting pay is close to a 1st year Package Car driver, but it seems like some say they never get raises and they might get eaten by Ground. Or is that a certainty at this point? I'd never go to Ground.

Again, thank you. You've allowed my mind to stop spinning.

Brownisbrown

UPS EMPLOYEE
Its the wrong time to come in with the mentality you can come quickly as a driver at UPS. They are doing budget cuts all over from day 1 PT all the way to corporate.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box

People retire, people get fired, people get DQ. Some waited 8+ years to drive some waited 4 months or less (even pre-covid). Every location is different and dont take a supervisor or managers word to heart on employment opportunities or pay rates. They have no idea. Fill an app out online. It doesn’t hurt to give it a day in court if you got nothing to lose.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Thank you all for your replies. I did see another post about an older guy that was having trouble qualifying and they were suspicious as to why. Your replies seem to say it wasn't his fault, and that sucks.

So it looks like I'll lean towards the Big Rig. I do have a daughter in middle school so I don't really want to be away from home until she leaves for college.

In my situation, if you really do like the job, would you consider going to FedEx Express? Starting pay is close to a 1st year Package Car driver, but it seems like some say they never get raises and they might get eaten by Ground. Or is that a certainty at this point? I'd never go to Ground.

Again, thank you. You've allowed my mind to stop spinning.
I’d stay away from FedEx.

BobJ

Apply for office management positions.

1. You don't pay union dues.
2. Won't work in the warehouse
3. Can bid for a driver position in 3 years.

Unfortunately, this takes some luck and probably a college degree. It also helps if you're an attractive young woman.

Unfortunately, this takes some luck and probably a college degree. It also helps if you're an attractive young woman.
tumblr_mniwicfD561qafp3fo1_500.gif

Cheesypurpletees

Yeah just get in now , e-commerce spend will remain secular and projected to increase 2-3x by 2030. Volumes will slowly rebound

Zowert

Doesn’t matter if you’re 52 or 22, getting in as a driver at UPS is very difficult now. We got people walking up to our guard shack at my center asking for applications. You’re going to be unloading trailers for years before you can win a bid. Probably not worth it. You’ve got a CDL and plenty of experience, there are a lot of opportunities out there.

pkgdriver

Warehouse?
96DF7D11-2885-43DC-8D5D-80A828D4B33A.gif