New Orleans

T

tieguy

"Perhaps you are correct tie, but "The reason that UPS discourages drivers to relocate is that there are different Teamster. . ." seems a pretty straight forward assignment of blame to me."

OK, the union system does bring up some interesting challenges. You rarely have a consensus on any issue. Bidding rights are everything to them. The semi annual bids are studied and discussed endlessly. Those who have more seniority than this driver will welcome him with open arms. Those with less will pitch the fuss.

Danny the guys assignment is temporary right now though he is talking about possibly moving here permanently.

T

tieguy

Signs of Rita,

School buses evacuating galveston ..what a concept.

The Guv of Louisianna encouraging the 4 or 5 people left in her state to flee.

U

upsdawg

OK2B-----it appears that you are dancing around the issues and passing blame on UPS for not allowing any relocating of NO UPSers--but there are things that UPS is bound to do by Union guidelines that make it difficult for UPS to allow people to move from center to center----Bidding rights and seniority are not UPS guidelines, but Union guidelines.

So please don't get too defensive in protecting the Union, the intent of my original statement was that there are some hurdles in place---some introduced by the Union and because of the Union hurdles, UPS also has some hurdles in place.

I am just glad to hear that we are making exceptions and putting some of "OUR" UPS family back to work in areas where they are much needed---maybe not welcomed by some with lesser seniority, but overall a positive thing!!

O

ok2bclever

I agree having to take in account more than just the corporation's direct wants does complicate virtually any issue.

You are correct that there will be workers ok with this and those not happy with this, but wondering about the relevance of that.

I am trying to think of when worker's happiness was a significant factor in any company decision in the recent past.

O

ok2bclever

dawg, no, I am not dancing at all, you are.

I have made NO statement regarding whether UPS is doing a good job or bad job assisting their out of work employees nationwide as I don't have any information on what UPS is doing or not doing.

I was just refuting your blatantly silly stretch of blaming the union if UPS is not doing a good job.

U

upsdawg

ok2b--so are you danc'n barefoot or have your danc'n shoes on??

Let me give you a hypothetical situation:

NO Feeder driver out of work--no home----relocates to Chicago, because he has family there.UPS needs feeder drivers--so UPS puts the driver on road......win-win?? Yes...until someone files a grievence because a package driver should be the next one to opt in off of packages and drive feeders----------so is this a union problem or UPS problem.

That was my initial point, it is not just UPS not allowing these displaced people to work--there are some "hurdles" that are in place-----placed there by the union------and yes there are some UPS obstacles also---so it is not just one sided.

Keep on Danc'n!!

O

ok2bclever

dawg,

You really should try actual research instead of thinking up hypothetical problems that sound good to, well frankly, just you.

Still no dancing here, just plain factual answers.

This is going to grate as you probably have that common management tendency to rather wish the contract did not exist and not read it, but how about just following the contract.

Your hypothetical situation is covered there.

Try looking under Seniority in the contract under Closed Centers, no dancing required.

That the International Brotherhood of Teamsters came to UPS (as well as many freight companies) to expedite this really puts the hollow in your blame game by the way.

U

upsdawg

ok2b----please continue to take comfort in judging all things in life that matter by the contract and the letter of it's law and seek ongoing protection from the Brotherhood of Teamsters----they are a necessary evil to keep the balances of labor alive.Be sure to give them the authority to call a strike on your behalf when the next "Contract" comes around---and when you are walking the picket line keep that in mind....as some of our competitors benefit from UPS's labor climate---no this is not a scare tactic----just reality.

Dance on Wayne!!

T

tieguy

"You are correct that there will be workers ok with this and those not happy with this, but wondering about the relevance of that."

Unhappiness does tend to generate grievances which are at the least a distraction and sometimes much more in time and expense. More importantly I am hoping the driver is recieved with the appropriate amount of support and compassion. The response he may recieve from a few individuals can reflect poorly on the entire group.

T

tieguy

"Try looking under Seniority in the contract under Closed Centers, no dancing required."

Ok , I'm reading through this language but it does not appear to apply. The language I am reading appears to allow the driver to follow his work which would keep him much closer to his original home?

O

ok2bclever

Correct tie, it is meant to keep the driver out of work as close to home as possible.

I would think that would be the desire and intent.

I already mentioned the IBT already went to UPS (not the other way around note) to solve anything that might be considered not applicableto current contractual language.

"IBT also has reached an agreement with UPS that allows displaced workers to transfer to other locations where work is available for which they are qualified, keeping their health and pension coverage as well as retaining seniority for vacation, holidays, and other benefits.

Again, I made no claim that UPS was dragging their feet or not doing a good job regarding this as I have no information on the subject.

I was simply correcting dawg's erroneous first instinct of blaming the union.

O

ok2bclever

dawg, it's your attitude of "necessary evil" that is sad, but predictable.

Also, you don't have a clue how I judge things so don't try to pigeonhole me down to a simple stereotype that you can comfortably pretend you understand.

You also have no control (I know how that grinds certain types) of what I will decide to do about anything.

Including the next contract.