New shift popping up in our building (sorter vs package handler)

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Prototelis said:
Oh they know I don't have a liscense. But I'm certified on pretty much everything you can't drive. Loading and unloading A300 and DC8 (Only two planes we get), marshaling, stationary GSE, etc. It wasn't untill a week ago they even had anyone certified loading the plane, they had a couple of new people up there that didn't know what they were doing.

And they know I'm bad at the sort and would rather not do it. I got chewed out for that by a part time sup, who insisted that making me look like an ass was better than suspending me for my inability to sort packages.. Which I don't think she can even do anyways.

I think you guys need to learn to yell at a sup every now and then. Don't swear but turn the tables and find a fault of theirs.

Everyday I get to work and day sort sup leaves the slides on our boxline at 100% releasing his guys early and making it more work for us on twilight.

I have stopped him and told him what he is supposed to do, which is 50% slides or less, but he doesn't listen. I believe I will start telling him fantastic job everyday when I get to work and the slides look like ****.

Bottom line: don't put up with the sup's BS.

MacLeod82

Disgruntled Pkg Handler
Prototelis said:
I got chewed out for that by a part time sup, who insisted that making me look like an ass was better than suspending me for my inability to sort packages.. Which I don't think she can even do anyways.
Maybe it's bad form, but just to add fan the flames a little, when I worked inside to cover the sort in splitting the belt for a week she stopped and did a little sorting, and it wasn't pretty. The other splitter quickly and politely chased her away. I don't think any of our Supervisors have any ability in sorting packages, it's not just knowing the split, it's finding the right label quickly, reading it from any angle and pushing it where it needs to go with accuracy and speed.

Proto, is the rumor that the Postal sorting is going to be done by SCS? If so we need to start writing up the biggest grievance in BWI history.

Air Hub

[
Proto, is the rumor that the Postal sorting is going to be done by SCS? If so we need to start writing up the biggest grievance in BWI history.[/quote]

What is SCS??????

MacLeod82

Disgruntled Pkg Handler
Air Hub said:
[
Proto, is the rumor that the Postal sorting is going to be done by SCS? If so we need to start writing up the biggest grievance in BWI history.
What is SCS??????[/quote]
supply chain solutions

Supply Chain Solutions.

At my hub atleast, there is a part of what I guess is UPS airfreight, that handles the cargo quantity hazmats, and straps them to the ULDs. We then load them onto the plane. We all got a new hazmat certification for it, but other than that I don't really know what it's all about.

As far as SCS taking the new sort away from us, I don't know. As I was made to know they wouldn't do it because of some contract, and thats why we have it. If they ARE going to take it, it won't happen. We already had a PCM, and our Disctric Manager already told us it was ours. And we already went down the line and found people to do the work once it was in.

If anything, those people should at the very least, be allowed to work over at SCS.

Our Supervisors are pretty numb to people that complain or tell them they are wrong, because there are alot of people on our sort that do nothing but whine because I "Overload the belt." Which is crock. I've seen them stop the belt long before anything would have caused them to stop. It wasn't a huge problem when Mac still split the belt, and it shouldn't be a problem now.

They constantly whine about how fast I unload. But when I go load for them it turns into I do everything and everyone else moves just as slow as they were. To the point where I'm running from where the belt is split, to the can, loading a box into the can and repeat. I can't do that simply becasue it pisses me off too much. There was always an extra person on that side of the belt that could have met me half-way atleast.

Not to mention the absolutely hideously stupid and inefficient order they load the cans in.

They have the last can position on the belt fill up first, as fastly as possible. And then after it's full the can at the position which is RIGHT NEXT to where our belt splits has to take the entire load coming down the belt. Thats absolutely the most inefficient thing I've ever seen. Mac and myself have those suggested loading the last two positions simultaneously instead of one at a time. At the very least loading the middle can (There are only three static racks on either side of the load part on our belt) instead of the first can.

I'll try and get some pictures, if thats at all allowed to show you.

What really bothers me is as far as I know, they do this for load distribution for the plane. But thats bull****. Because those two sort cans ALWAYS go in the plane last, or close to last. And I've seen them swap positions with empty cans on there MANY times. It's hideously stupid, and we'd run much better if they'd just do it in a non-stupid way.

I really do wish Mac would come in and sort, because he's good at it. We haven't gone a week without missorts since last years peak season. (Basically since Mac went outside, and we lost the other sorter at the split)

It makes all of us look bad when a few :censored2:bags can't do their job right.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Hi, I'm glad to have found this site.
I work part-time at a small building in Baltimore at the airport bringing in and sending out air for our area. As a result of the Post Office contract the company won we are getting a new shift to sort the loads of post office packages we're supposed to be getting and are being offered the oppurtunity to move to it. One of my co-workers raised an interesting question: because we are sorting to 8 different locations, shouldn't this job offer the sorter's pay ($1 more than package handler)?

I'm completely in the dark as to what the real difference between a sorter and a handler is, at our building we currently all sort between PHI, SDF and the Baltimore main hub and are all classified as Package Handlers, with a couple Package Clerks to do International/High Value.

Also, I definately would like to become more active in our local union, I'm not really sure if our shop is getting the representation we really need.

Thanks.
Just curious, do you guys handle your own aircraft in BWI?

tieguy

Banned
We definately need to go above our shop steward's head.

On this note, does anyone know what SCS is supposed to handle?

I'm sure your shop steward is keeping your business agents informed. have you or your friend gone to a monthly union meeting and discussed it with the BA? Most part timers do not go to union meetings.

We haven't grieved it.

I just don't seem to be able to get any support for things like this out of anyone at my center.

I don't want to burn any bridges by going over my rep's head.

On another note. They finally moved me outside. I was switched with the ramp's village idiot.. because well he's an idiot. :P

It was also because so many people on the load side of things complain about how fast I unload trucks, or because I put packages on a stopped belt when it's empty.

I really don't see a reason why all 145 pounds of me should be able to outman 4 loaders and sorters. Especially when I presort the boxes I KNOW, and they have a person doing small boxes presorting, AND the other unloader I work with presorts.

It really wasn't even that bad until they put this one guy over there, that basically convinced everyone that being lazy is acceptable, because management can't do dick about it. Which is lame, we had some new hires that were showing ALOT of promise and were a BLAST to compete loading wise with. Now they slack about and move slower than week old cadavers.

It really comes down to work ethic, which alot of the inside people seem to lack.

I think when I have some down time, I'll go unload trucks and humiliate them some more.