New UK Feeder vehicles?

MuppetUK

Just wondered if anyone in the UK has heard anything about UPS changing all the UPS trunking vehicles to "wagon and Drag" drawbar combinations? Nearly half the trailer fleet or more is Rental trailers at the minute and they arent being replaced when the MOTs run out. They've also had 4 brand new box shunters at then Tamworth Hub and 3 brand new box trucks. They aren't too bad to drive forwards but are a pig to reverse and a few of the depots I've been to, Croydon for example, would be virtually impossible to get into with Drawbar combinations! Comments anyone?

david cassin

dublinbrown
i heard they had to replace alot of the lynx trucks/trailers as they were heaps if junk,i asked the same question to my manager here in dublin re the whole lot of truck and drag and he doesn't think it will happen.we have 2 of them here in dublin and 1 artic,cork has 2 artics and our shannon depot has 1 .all daf 85 cfs
the truck and drags would cost more in the end even though they buy in bulk.our mechanic says that they are holding onto the artics for 7 years gone up from 6.

CBUK

I overheard a conversation about a trainer visiting our centre to train feeder drivers on wagon and drag and it took him 35 minutes to back onto the dock. Our turning area is too short and running off the end could have you up to your axles in mud.

Big Babooba

I'm sure I can speak for others on this side of the pond. What the hell are you guys talking about? Post some photos please. A picture is worth a thousand words.:happy2:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I overheard a conversation about a trainer visiting our centre to train feeder drivers on wagon and drag and it took him 35 minutes to back onto the dock. Our turning area is too short and running off the end could have you up to your axles in mud.

We got rid of the wagons right after the advent of the gas-combustion engine.

chev

Nightcrawler
I found this on Google images. Is this what you are talking about?
wagon and drag.jpg

Yep, that's an example of a wag and drag!

We lost one of our trailers for a DAF drawbar, and both our daily Stansted and Tamworth feeds are run using wag and drags now.
Barking is still a 40ft trailer job.

chev

Nightcrawler
Yep, that's an example of a wag and drag!

We lost one of our trailers for a DAF drawbar, and both our daily Stansted and Tamworth feeds are run using wag and drags now.
Barking is still a 40ft trailer job.

That looks like it could be a fun ride. You Brits have some funny looking trucks. lol

MuppetUK

Just an Update, we have about 12 of the new drawbar trucks at Tamworth now though some seem to have gone out to Branches. To our American drivers, A wagon and Drag at UPS is a 3 axle Truck (with a 26 foot Demountable box on it) Pulling a 2 axle turntable trailer (turning front axle) also carrying a 26 foot box. They are very awkward to reverse as it has 2 pivot points and tends to go all over the place. Try reversing one of these trailers under a box in the dark (bearing in mind, it's over 60ft away from the cab, pivoting in two places and you have to get it within a couple of inches to get it in the guides), you can soon see why these drivers have little or no hair lol

chev

Nightcrawler
Just an Update, we have about 12 of the new drawbar trucks at Tamworth now though some seem to have gone out to Branches. To our American drivers, A wagon and Drag at UPS is a 3 axle Truck (with a 26 foot Demountable box on it) Pulling a 2 axle turntable trailer (turning front axle) also carrying a 26 foot box. They are very awkward to reverse as it has 2 pivot points and tends to go all over the place. Try reversing one of these trailers under a box in the dark (bearing in mind, it's over 60ft away from the cab, pivoting in two places and you have to get it within a couple of inches to get it in the guides), you can soon see why these drivers have little or no hair lol

Well, I think we get the idea on that one since we pull doubles. They are nearly impossible to back up more than a few feet. I don't envy those guys backing the wagon and drags. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.:sad-little: I also have no hair. :wink2:

drewed

Shankman
Well, I think we get the idea on that one since we pull doubles. They are nearly impossible to back up more than a few feet. I don't envy those guys backing the wagon and drags. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.:sad-little: I also have no hair. :wink2:

Yea, you got to imagine a lot of the roads throughout europe are at a very smaller width then US roads

ziffle

Feeder driver from Portland Oregon USA here, most of our tractors are run well over a million miles. Depending on how they are maintained, some of the older tractors run better than our new ones. Our tractors are mostly Mack with others being Freightliners, or International. We can pull single, double or triple 28'.

US0352

Feeder
Feeder driver from Portland Oregon USA here, most of our tractors are run well over a million miles. Depending on how they are maintained, some of the older tractors run better than our new ones. Our tractors are mostly Mack with others being Freightliners, or International. We can pull single, double or triple 28'.

Freightliners? How do you get so lucky? We have old Macks and Internationals. All of our trucks are hand me downs from Toledo. Lowest miles on the lot is 300,000. And that is one of our new trucks!

ziffle

Not to take over the international discussion here but yes, Portland does have some cab over Argusy Freightliners. Looking around last night I forgot we have some Sterling tractors as well. I think they are made by Freightliner as well. As long as I have worked there, Portland has gotten the new package cars and tractors. The rumor is that was because Oregon has no sales tax. After a few thousand miles they get sent out of state. That has recently changed. We are getting used California package cars and tractors now. I think it has something to do with new emission requirements in California.

MuppetUK

Thats Interesting Camtrix, where are you based? All the new trucks we had have gone out to other Branches now so they must be getting some more in Feb.