New York Requiring Social Media Companies to Report ‘Hateful Conduct

Babagounj

Strength through joy
New York will now require social media companies to report “hateful conduct,” Gov. Kathy Hochul (D) announced on Monday.
The announcement comes weeks after the Democrat governor announced an executive order establishing a police unit dedicated to combatting “hate speech.”
“The unit will be responsible for developing investigative leads based on social media analyses focused on radical extremist activities motivated threats [sic] by identifying online locations and activities that facilitate radicalization and promote violent extremism,” the executive order, which came in the wake of the tragic shooting in Buffalo, reads in part.
Hochul said in a statement at the time:
The horrific and despicable act of terror committed by a white supremacist this past weekend in Buffalo showed that we as a country are facing an intersection of two crises: the mainstreaming of hate speech — including white nationalism, racism and white supremacy — and the easy access to military-style weapons and magazines.
“We will continue to confront this epidemic head-on, stamp out extremists who threaten our communities, strengthen the toughest gun laws in the country, and do whatever it takes to keep New Yorkers safe,” she added.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I'd like to see this guy's media record.

NYPD arrest 'drunk' career criminal who says he 'didn't realize his strength' as he tossed 52-year-old woman onto subway tracks in brutal random attack that shattered her collarbone​

• The suspect was identified as Theodore Ellis, 30, of the Bronx
  • He faces charges of assault and reckless endangerment
  • The suspect told police that was drunk and 'didn't realize his strength' when he threw woman onto subway tracks
  • Ellis has a lengthy rap sheet going back to 2009 that includes 8 prior arrests
  • At the time of the incident, there was no train approaching the station, and other commuters were able to help the woman get back onto the platform
  • The victim suffered a broken collarbone and numerous cuts and bruises

tadpole

I don't see how a state has the authority to require a worldwide corporation to monitor something.
Especially something arbitrary like "hate speech".
Does that mean the brown cafe will have to report to New York if somebody says something that hurts someone's feelings?

I hear that the freedom convoy protests were hateful. And wanting to limit minors from gender reassignment surgeries or puberty blockers is hateful. Even homeschooling is hateful now! Good thing we can start to get all this hate under control!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I don't see how a state has the authority to require a worldwide corporation to monitor something.
Especially something arbitrary like "hate speech".
Does that mean the brown cafe will have to report to New York if somebody says something that hurts someone's feelings?

I hear that the freedom convoy protests were hateful. And wanting to limit minors from gender reassignment surgeries or puberty blockers is hateful. Even homeschooling is hateful now! Good thing we can start to get all this hate under control!
Just like the government has Covid under control?