Newest Scare Tactic: Rural Service Cutbacks

LTFedExer

Haven't rural areas ALWAYS been a cost issue? I used to drive 300+ miles to deliver 35-40 stops. Was that cost effective? I doubt those packages paid for gas, salary, wear and tear, etc. If costs do go up due to hourly wage increases, pension, etc., could you blame FedEx for cutting service to those areas without raising rates?
The article in question points-out that Fedex has outspent UPS 2 to 1 and is running what is essentially a political campaign, with FedEx as the "candidate". Again, this is legislation that only benefits one company in the entire country....FedEx.

And you are completely welcome to your opinion and to disagree with me at will. I'm kind of having a tough time figuring-out the logic behind your explanation, because I clearly said in the original post that it was my opinion, just as it always is.
I never made an 'explanation'. I simply asked where your rural cutback comments came from. So you're upset with Fred S for spending more than the IBT/UPS side and not the other way around? If the 2-1 ratio was the other way, you wouldn't have started this thread.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Haven't rural areas ALWAYS been a cost issue? I used to drive 300+ miles to deliver 35-40 stops. Was that cost effective? I doubt those packages paid for gas, salary, wear and tear, etc. If costs do go up due to hourly wage increases, pension, etc., could you blame FedEx for cutting service to those areas without raising rates?

I never made an 'explanation'. I simply asked where your rural cutback comments came from. So you're upset with Fred S for spending more than the IBT/UPS side and not the other way around? If the 2-1 ratio was the other way, you wouldn't have started this thread.

As I pointed out earlier, many transportation companies provide service to areas that are marginally profitable or even non-profitable so they can say to major accounts "we deliver everywhere". FedEx rates are high enough to ensure that even a pkg going to the middle of nowhere stays profitable. That's why this whole angle is a ruse, which you have apparently fallen-for hook, line, sinker, and even the rod and reel.

You amaze me. Fred is doing everything possible to make sure he can continue to pay you peanuts and provide you with a non-pension, and you support him unconditionally. How smart is that?

LTFedExer

I never said I liked Fred S and I never said I agreed with the things he and upper management do. I merely stated that it's his company to run the way he wants. How hard is that to understand? You CHOSE to work there. You even stated you worked at both, yet CHOSE to work at FedEx, the company you dislike and surely nobody's holding a gun to your head to stay.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I never said I liked Fred S and I never said I agreed with the things he and upper management do. I merely stated that it's his company to run the way he wants. How hard is that to understand? You CHOSE to work there. You even stated you worked at both, yet CHOSE to work at FedEx, the company you dislike and surely nobody's holding a gun to your head to stay.

No, it isn't his company...it belongs to the stockholders, although Smith runs it like it's "his". Your adoration for his policies and procedures speaks volumes that you DO agree with him.

LTFedExer

No, it isn't his company...it belongs to the stockholders, although Smith runs it like it's "his". Your adoration for his policies and procedures speaks volumes that you DO agree with him.
Ok, I'll play along, it belongs to the stockholders. So, he must be doing something right. The stockholders appear happy....no?

Please don't put words in my mouth........I never said I agree with the policies and procedures or him.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ok, I'll play along, it belongs to the stockholders. So, he must be doing something right. The stockholders appear happy....no?

Please don't put words in my mouth........I never said I agree with the policies and procedures or him.

As I said, it's implicit in everything you post. You love what Smith stands for and are completely A-OK with his RLA scam.

SmithBarney

Think Aspen, CO or Jackson, WY.

Did you know that Jackson, WY probably has one of the highest driver turnovers in the country, next time you are in JCATS take a peak at what market level "fred" thinks JACA(I think) is. Its amazing the company can't do better for these drivers, pay at the local grocery stores is better. Most guys leave for the oil fields where they can make double or more.

Apparently its still cheaper to train someone, and lose them, than it is to pay the whole station more.(and keep more people)

Rural Cutbacks? yeah I don't see that happening, our Saturday service area has double(so has our staff) I think its about time for another round of cuts
right about mid management level. we are still a little thick around the middle.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Did you know that Jackson, WY probably has one of the highest driver turnovers in the country, next time you are in JCATS take a peak at what market level "fred" thinks JACA(I think) is. Its amazing the company can't do better for these drivers, pay at the local grocery stores is better. Most guys leave for the oil fields where they can make double or more.

Apparently its still cheaper to train someone, and lose them, than it is to pay the whole station more.(and keep more people)

Rural Cutbacks? yeah I don't see that happening, our Saturday service area has double(so has our staff) I think its about time for another round of cuts
right about mid management level. we are still a little thick around the middle.

I have a courier friend who used to work at Jackson....same story. I'm guessing our wages don't keep pace anywhere, but especially in places like HNL, SFO and the like.

vantexan

I looked into Jackson back in the 90's and backed away real fast. Another place, Flagstaff, AZ, also has a low payscale.. Not as extreme as Jackson, but before the big meltdown average homes were going for $350k. It's the closest station to the Grand Canyon, plus alot of other great places. Everytime there's an opening someone usually bids on it, not realizing the high cost and low pay. FedEx takes advantage of that plus plenty of people in town looking for anything that pays so that they can hang on. After stints in Santa Fe, central Colorado, northern AZ I decided I'd rather live in much cheaper TX with the same pay and just visit the mountains. And with the pay really can't afford trips out there anymore. Thankfully I'll be able to live in South America on my little pension. There's no way I can retire with dignity in the States.

You wish.

I'm sure your drivers really want those kind of stops.

Bring it on! The ISP I am putting together covers about 2300 square miles of rural area. I'll just buy more trucks and make more money!

Me (still driving) or my drivers won't mind, as most of the day we are just cruising around with the A/C blowing....

bbsam

Staff member
Bring it on! The ISP I am putting together covers about 2300 square miles of rural area. I'll just buy more trucks and make more money!

Me (still driving) or my drivers won't mind, as most of the day we are just cruising around with the A/C blowing....
Might I suggest a Ford Transit Connect or two for the rural areas? I used to run a minivan as a supplemental. Made a killing on the fuel supplement!

My Sprinters get paid back almost all of what I spend on fuel, but with the new ISP contract I may be looking at downsizing at least 2 of the vehicles.

What kind of mileage do the Transit Connects get?

bbsam

Staff member
My Sprinters get paid back almost all of what I spend on fuel, but with the new ISP contract I may be looking at downsizing at least 2 of the vehicles.

What kind of mileage do the Transit Connects get?
20-23 How were the sprinters as far as breakdowns? We only had one in the building and it was a real turd.

Sprinters get 19-21 MPG. My 2005 has 430K+ miles on the original engine. Buying 2-2008s with nearly 200K on each.

Most breakdowns are caused by simple stuff that can be avoided with regular maintenance, such as replacing the serpentine belt idler pulleys and tensioner every 100K miles. Some of the parts ARE expensive, but they last.

I replaced a harmonic balancer on the '05 at about 400K, the alternator at about 420K, and the water pump once, but other than those items, belts, and hoses... the engine is wearing everything it was born with. Still passes emission testing with flying colors.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sprinters get 19-21 MPG. My 2005 has 430K+ miles on the original engine. Buying 2-2008s with nearly 200K on each.

Most breakdowns are caused by simple stuff that can be avoided with regular maintenance, such as replacing the serpentine belt idler pulleys and tensioner every 100K miles. Some of the parts ARE expensive, but they last.

I replaced a harmonic balancer on the '05 at about 400K, the alternator at about 420K, and the water pump once, but other than those items, belts, and hoses... the engine is wearing everything it was born with. Still passes emission testing with flying colors.

You sound lucky. Express no longer buys them due to many issues, and for awhile at least, none could be assigned to a station that wasn't within a 25-mile radius of an approved warranty repair shop. Merecedes-Benz makes a good product, and I'm guessing a big part of the problems with Sprinters were that our mechanics weren't up to the task of repairing them properly.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You sound lucky. Express no longer buys them due to many issues, and for awhile at least, none could be assigned to a station that wasn't within a 25-mile radius of an approved warranty repair shop. Merecedes-Benz makes a good product, and I'm guessing a big part of the problems with Sprinters were that our mechanics weren't up to the task of repairing them properly.

We have four of the Sprinters sitting in our parking lot ADA'd. They were always breaking down.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We have four of the Sprinters sitting in our parking lot ADA'd. They were always breaking down.

Our mechanics complained about brakes and transmissions in particular. Some drivers love them, but most hate them. I think the final nail may have been their unibody contruction, because even a relatively minor accident will total them. At least a body on frame vehicle can be repaired after a wreck. which we never have because we are 100% safe.