Not Runner Gunner But Don't Eat

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by mrbrownstone, Apr 2, 2016.

1. mrbrownstone

mrbrownstone Active Member

I'm not a runner but always put in for lunch with the rationale that I prefer to sometimes walk a little slower or work at a slightly relaxed pace to make it through the day.

I know I can't move at the desired UPS speed and even after driving a few years am not always the most efficient.

Puttting in for my lunch and break usually puts me about scratch or say 15-20 clicks under. Which means I'm simply not fast enough to take and hour lunch and not run over.

Yes, I have senority and am aware that I'm not supposed to care about numbers but it keeps me from being harassed.

In my mind I'm not falsifying documents or running and gunning because I don't literally run and am never done until 6 or after anyway. Also I'm simply too slow to take a legitimate lunch and run scratch.

Anyone else this way?

Edit: I drink GNC Mass Gainer Complex shakes for calories and energy while I'm working but don't stop to eat.

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

How much time, if any, are you putting in the DIAD for your lunch and break(s)?

3. mrbrownstone

I used to put in 10 min paid and 45 min lunch. That usually kept my scratch. I figure that is about how much time I loose digging for packages or not being perfectly organized or walking slightly slower.

Now with more pressure on our center to put in our whole our plus 10 min I'm running 20 to 40 clicks under.

4. ManInBrown

ManInBrown Well-Known Member

Are you crazy? Why are you worried about running scratch. There made up fantasy land numbers are there problems. Not yours. Guarantee they all laugh about you every day in there little Center manager office meeting. LOL. So and so worked thru lunch again yesterday. More free labor. LOL. Grow a set and do the job the right way

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. mrbrownstone

But I'm still not fast enough to legitimately take a whole hour.

6. bottomups

bottomups Bad Moon Risen'

If you are entering a lunch and not taking it you are falsifying records.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  7. mrbrownstone

When I look at my centers numbers everyday almost every driver is under whether they are 20+ year veterans or newer guys.

Now I don't have my own route, I'm a full time senority cover driver as we call it. Maybe having your own route makes it easier.

I just figure most of the driver's are actually efficient enough to legitimately take an hour lunch and be under.

Even on my best days when a route isn't blown out, I don't have tons of heavy packages or irregs and I say to myself that I'm really moving I look at thr numbers the next day and am amazed.

8. UpstateNYUPSer

You can start by taking part of your lunch during the day and the rest at the end. You will slowly get to the point where you will be able to take it all during the day.

There is a report that shows work done during recorded meal times and, depending upon your center management team, you can be disciplined for doing so.

9. Oh Shoot

Oh Shoot Well-Known Member

Only numbers I care about are the ones on my paycheck every friday...just saying

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. mrbrownstone

Yes, but if I choose to work at a slower safer pace than what UPS desires can't that be considered toward lunch. Otherwise, it would be viewed as stealing time.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. mrbrownstone

Yes but that is probably because your so fast efficient that you wouldn't be bothered either way.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  12. UpstateNYUPSer

Yes, if you choose to work at a slower pace, that could be considered stealing time; however, it would not be considered lunch as you are working.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. mrbrownstone

Right, I'm not saying I'm a slug but I'm simply not able to walk at almost a sprint pace for 9hrs and 180 stops so I like to vary my speed based on the size, and weight of the packages.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Oh Shoot

This job is not a sprint it's a marathon...pace yourself

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

Take your lunch. You need a break to refresh and clear your head.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  16. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

Talked to a couple bonus guys the other day. I asked them if they did 10 hours of work in 9.5 hours how much would they get paid. They answered 10 hours. I smiled and said I would do that 10 hours in 10.5, get paid for 10.5, and have a light day on Friday because I'm on the 9.5 list. Game, set, match.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • List
  17. Oh Shoot

Touche

18. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

Putting in lunch but working through it regardless of your rationale is being a runner. Period.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. dookie stain

dookie stain Well-Known Member

You will never please them...do 20 stops an hour they'll ask why you didn't do 25 an hour...take every single one of your breaks to its fullest and don't touch a package..I used to sort out my truck during lunch but I don't even do that anymore

• Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  20. mrbrownstone

But that's a double edge sword. Not moving like He-Man all day is stealing time.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List