Off clock security checks

Should ups be rummaging through your bag on your personal time

• Yes

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • No

Votes: 42 80.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I work off the clock for a hour anf half a day anyway what difference does 10more seconds make??

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters

Indecisi0n

30 mins in line? I would be pissed to. Lucky when I leave and walk through the guard shack 90% of the time he is sleeping so I just walk right past him. The metal detector will beep because of my phone and he doesn't even lift his head.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Oddly waiting in line to get in can take up to 10 minutes, while waiting to get out only takes 2-3 minutes. Has nothing to do with the security guards or procedures. The problem is the people who, even though they go through metal detectors and get their bags checked every single day, simply can't seem to get it together. People suddenly remember to empty their pockets when they're ready to go home.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I think it's silly to have drivers go through metal detectors and be wanded/our bags & lunchboxes opened, etc. It's one thing to inspect inside employees because that's the main way they would get stolen items out of the building, but I would think even if a driver is dumb enough to steal and risk everything, he would at least be smart enough to stash the item on his route somewhere?

BrownArmy

They check us on the way out...

I'm fairly certain I could bring anything I wanted on the way in:

The metal detector goes off, sleep security dude barely looks up...

It's a headline waiting to happen.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
It's just Security Theater just like at the Airport. 30 minutes in line is pretty excessive, but I haven't seen a UPS facility reach that level of ridiculousness yet. In the past most plants had you clock in at the gate: mines, manufacturing plants, etc; not sure when that changed to what it is here today (and I'm assuming UPS was the same way). Some buildings you can have amost 10 minute walk to your center or feeder dispatch office to clock in.

542thruNthru

Costco out here had the same lawsuit. I had a buddy a long time ago that worked at Barnes&Nobel. He had to wait 30 min off the clock every night at the front door till the managers all checked the cash registers and put them in the safe. I told him that it wasn't right but of course no one had the balls to speak up. I would have either stayed on the clock till I was let out or Just walked the heck out. But sometimes I think working at UPS and having a union has given me a different mindset then most. Good or bad you be the judge. :) Except you hoax! you keep your trap shut! :surprised:

Cementups

Box Monkey
Just in the past 6-12 months security at our building has stopped checking drivers. One of hte security guards is a retired cop and was talked to by UPS security about why he wasn't checking drivers and he told them, 'If drivers are going to steal they are going to do it on the road, not be dumb enough to bring it through here.' Now, none of the security guards check the drivers. But the lowly inside employees and sups/management still need to be wanded.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We changed security companies a few months ago and we go through the walk through detector, have to open our lunchbox, show ID, show phone sticker, and get wanded entering and exiting. The entering bit is excessive, doesn't make a bit of sense. Loss Prevention also installed cameras everywhere, they know if the guards are checking people.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I'm pretty convinced they only wand us pt'ers on the way in because they don't want camera phones documenting the ridiculous working conditions/ customers seeing the way their packages are actually treated on youtube.

If it is to prevent workplace violence maybe they should pay the higher price for security guards with guns; talk about the illusion of security. Not that I couldn't bash someone's head in with one of the 69 pound boxes coming down my chute all day every day anyways. Ok I've gone too far now.

browntroll

normally security guards at my hub are understaffed so they only have 1 guard which gets stuck either scanning ppl coming
in or out, on those days i just get waived in not even an id check. i am always the slowest guy going through security check for some
reason they feel like checking everything i have when i do come out they even tried checking my wallet a few times.

rorojo

security is terrible down here. The inside upsers have to remove their shoes, hats and belts before going through metal detectors its crazy.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
security is terrible down here. The inside upsers have to remove their shoes, hats and belts before going through metal detectors its crazy.
..... and put their right foot in and put their right foot out and shake it all about. Guilty until proven innocent, that's what it's all about.

watdaflock?

It's one thing to inspect inside employees because that's the main way they would get stolen items out of the building,
6a00e54f871a9c8833019b0359a6b8970d-pi