ORION is coming....HELP!!!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Think when they roll out Orion they get a baseline of miles on a route then add 10-15% to it. That way they can say its working. Yesterday I did a route that did two loops. North to south then back north. Then north to south again. Turned off Orion at 10:00. Ran 78 miles. If I ran Orion all day I would have ran about 100 miles, drop my pick up volume and work about an hour and a half longer. Probably would have had a larger bonus too with the extra miles.

This is the same kind of hopscotching we are doing. It may have me doing 8 stops in a gated complex (out of 16) then leaving to go to another section across town, then work myself back to the gated complex to finish the last 8 sometime in the afternoon. Thats twice in the same area in the same day vs. doing it all at one time.

Here in southern california, the homes are so densely built, Orion makes ridiculous decisions. For example, I could be on a residential street, there could be 4 stops on that street, Orion will have me turn onto that street and deliver to the wrong side of the truck for two stops, then as i can see the next two stops on the street, Orion calculates that the next closest stop is on the next street and makes me turn around and go to the next street leaving the other two stops undelivered. At some point, it will have me go back to the original street and deliver the two stops again on the wrong side of the truck.

I do this all day in every section. I WONT turn it off, I run it as it comes out.

I do 100% compliance and give them what they created. They cant fix it.

The best answer they can give is to try orion in the morning, but if we see we are falling behind, SHUT IT OFF.

How about getting rid of it? My miles are increasing , not decreasing, my days are extended nor shortening, my customer complaints are skyrocketing, the inconsistency of delivery times is pssng off customers.

For example, on the yellow notes (delivery notices) you cant check the time range that you will return for the customers because you dont have any idea when Orion will have you back in that area, everyday is different.

You could be there at 11am today, and 7pm tomorrow, you cannot give a reasonable estimate of a return time for a signature stop. This is ticking off customers.

Just like the old adage, "if it isnt broken, BREAK IT" is the new motto for UPS package.

TOS.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Any else notice this? ORION does not want you to drive too long without doing a stop. You may for instance, do a section, then have to double back. Now, the new system will save a stop so not to travel too far without a delivery. Same miles, just less between stops.

I wonder if the human brain has a natural bias to cluster things which may make ORION not seem logical to our thinking?

Overpaid Union Thug

I love reading these ORION threads. We had someone from the "ORION team" hanging around our center a while back and he made it sound like the best thing since sliced bread. I think of that guy and laugh every time I read these.

oldngray

nowhere special
best,funny,gas,station,old,question,quote,sign,slice,bread,text,typography-6cdcca60d9fa9cd6f990cfe5d0833cc3_m.jpg

Pkgcar1988

I follow it between 90-100% everyday and it's amazing to me that someone actually came up with this ridiculous system. Consistently driving by stops to deliver others then turning around and going back to deliver the ones I drove by 20 minutes later. I have asked for help on getting this fixed and center manager says I'm just trying to create problems. Over Orion projected miles everyday by anywhere between 10-20 miles. I have quit asking for resolve and just do it the way it's set up. It is very frustrating but I have given up. Total waste of money. IMO

govols019

You smell that?
At first, they say be 85% or beat the miles. After about a year, they say be at 85% regardless of miles. It's just another in a long line of metrics that UPS wants us to chase clean off the cliff if necessary.

Rainman

Its all good.
This is a accurate assessment of the system. Its being implemented in our center and so far, its a disaster. Routes extending 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours, more miles, more u turns on residential streets, unsafe travel paths, triples to quadriples deliveries where it forces you to cross the street vs delivering out the right hand side.

It hops all over the place forcing you to have a ton of go backs to streets that go unfinished.

Maybe once UPS calculates the extra overtime orion is causing, they'll realize that saving $1.50 on fuel for 1 mile isnt worth the $55 dollars its costing them in 1 hours overtime.

I doubt it.

TOS.
Wow TOS, we finally agree on something. What good Orion accomplishes could have been done by a good supervisor with an updated map in a days time for the whole center, for around $20 cost instead of the millions already spent.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is 2014. Our next contract (if this one ever gets settled) is 2018. This gives the company 4 years to work out the kinks w/Orion. Look for the company to get serious about busting the union in 2018.

ncupser82

I got several years left with Satan...oh I mean UPS...so I'm hoping that any union busting they try falls to the wayside! This is why we as a union need to step up our organizing efforts at FedEx, Walmart, and hell even McDonalds if we have to!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Its horrible, and in my center they want us to follow it at 85%, soon to be 90%, you will be driving in circles and delivering 6 residential stops before any next day air or deliver two stops that are neighbors 45 stops later in edd, forcing something to work that clearly doesnt!!

Sent using BrownCafe App

JackStraw

This is 2014. Our next contract (if this one ever gets settled) is 2018. This gives the company 4 years to work out the kinks w/Orion. Look for the company to get serious about busting the union in 2018.
Yep. One thing I've realized about UPS is that they are very patient. Might not be 2018, might be 2023. But it's coming. Get someone off the street, and him a board and off you go. Although, when the PAS/EDD system was implemented, they said a monkey would be able to load the trucks. Havn't seen that yet.

sryno

TGIF@1845
I follow it between 90-100% everyday and it's amazing to me that someone actually came up with this ridiculous system. Consistently driving by stops to deliver others then turning around and going back to deliver the ones I drove by 20 minutes later. I have asked for help on getting this fixed and center manager says I'm just trying to create problems. Over Orion projected miles everyday by anywhere between 10-20 miles. I have quit asking for resolve and just do it the way it's set up. It is very frustrating but I have given up. Total waste of money. IMO
Sounds like the way EDD was set up on my route.... Jacked up..

Sent using My busted body.

sryno

TGIF@1845
I got several years left with Satan...oh I mean UPS...so I'm hoping that any union busting they try falls to the wayside! This is why we as a union need to step up our organizing efforts at FedEx, Walmart, and hell even McDonalds if we have to!

Sent using BrownCafe App
UPS-Us People of Satan.. It all makes sense now! Lol

Sent using My busted body.

upschuck

Yep. One thing I've realized about UPS is that they are very patient. Might not be 2018, might be 2023. But it's coming. Get someone off the street, and him a board and off you go. Although, when the PAS/EDD system was implemented, they said a monkey would be able to load the trucks. Havn't seen that yet.
You misunderstood...It was a monkey setting up the dispatching of the trucks.

Rainman

Its all good.
Its horrible, and in my center they want us to follow it at 85%, soon to be 90%, you will be driving in circles and delivering 6 residential stops before any next day air or deliver two stops that are neighbors 45 stops later in edd, forcing something to work that clearly doesnt!!

Sent using BrownCafe App
I guess what we need to do is get everyone following it completely. They never fix anything as long as we find a way to make it work. Sometimes you have to let the train wreck occur to convince people that an idea is bad.

Sent using BrownCafe App