OT: Software upgrade - new features

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
The latest version of the software that we use to run this forum (vbulletin) was released from beta a couple of weeks ago. I have been working on getting everything installed and upgraded and it's just about done.

Since this is the first forum I've installed it on since it went out of beta I'm not really familiar with all of the new features or exactly how they work. Anyone that's interested in this stuff can take a look at the software vendors descriptions:

Thread tagging
Search cloud / tag cloud
Thread prefixes
Reciprocal friendships between users
Public visitor messaging on profile pages with 'conversation' feature
User picture galleries with user comment facility
User-created social groups with invite only and moderated membership options
Extended member profile pages
Customizable member profile pages with admin-controlled styling abilities
Inline editing of custom user profile fields
Lightbox viewer for attached images

Most of these things are available for tweaking in your User Control Panel. The thread tags are visible at the bottom of the thread.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Is it possible to put the smilies page back to the size it was before? When I click on [MORE] the page comes up as half the size it used to be, or full page. At half page you can only read 1 side of the smilie list.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I know. I just liked it better the old way, I didn't have to go full page to see both columns of the smilies. It's HABITS, don't waste the extra time!!!!!! LOL

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Is it possible to put the smilies page back to the size it was before? When I click on [MORE] the page comes up as half the size it used to be, or full page. At half page you can only read 1 side of the smilie list.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I didn't realize that the new software had changed the size of that window.

It's bigger now :peaceful:

DS

Fenderbender
This software is a lot different than the old one.
Change may be good,but I think I need help as to how to make it do what I want.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The change is OK. I noticed it's a little harder to notice "new posts". I think it used to be a red check mark that stood out....now it's just 2 pieces of paper on a bulletin board instead of one piece of paper.....just not as noticeable for me.

rod

Retired 22 years
BC is still one of the smoothest running forums out there. I played around on another racing forum until they "updated" and made it almost impossible to post on. At last count they had lost over half their members and the only ones that post do nothing but complain about how crappy the forum is. Thanks to all at Brown Cafe who make it run so well.:happy2:

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
The change is OK. I noticed it's a little harder to notice "new posts". I think it used to be a red check mark that stood out....now it's just 2 pieces of paper on a bulletin board instead of one piece of paper.....just not as noticeable for me.
The icons you are describing are the default ones that come with this software and not the custom ones made for this forum. I accidently replaced our custom icons during the file uploads and the default ones were online for a few hours before I noticed them and put ours back online.

If you came to the site while the default icons were online they are now stuck in your browser cache. Try clearing you browser cache to reload the original icons.

http://www.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=497&topic=8995

moreluck

golden ticket member
Cheryl,

I know you answered my question, but I'm so computer illiterate that all I read was blah, blah, blah (no offense). I'll just get used to the present notification icon. Old dogs adapt !! :happy-very:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Really weird !! While on BC I had an ad pop up for ring tones and I checked the "no" box and it would not go away. I had to shut my computer down to get rid of it.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
Really weird !! While on BC I had an ad pop up for ring tones and I checked the "no" box and it would not go away. I had to shut my computer down to get rid of it.

Did you have another window open, besides BC? If not then it could have been running in the background from another website that you were at previously.

Moreluck, alot of time if you get this kind of popup you can shut it down by ALT + F4. This will close the window. (I NEVER hit any of those window buttons-- Minimize, Maximize, or close). If this doesn't work, then you can always hit CTRL + ALT + DEL. and this will bring up Windows Task Manager. Find the process that is running and right click on it and hit YES.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Thanks, PYB. I'm glad your instructions didn't include "press 'any' key" because I would've sat here for hours looking for the "any" key. :wink2: