How many hours a week does a fulltime driver see their wife?

• 1-5

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 5-10

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 10-20

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Too many, gosh darn I need a divorce.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

PhatPattheRiverRat

Alright, so there are tons of posts which I have read and re-read on here. Feel like I have some decent info, but really want feedback from others on my potential plan.

So I'm 33, I have been a desk jockey for 5 years. Pay is okay not great, health benefits are expensive, I work 8-4 M-friend sitting on my ass. I am getting a bit tired of the job, but am not crazy enough to just flat out quit. I have no kids, a girlfriend but no wife, minimal student loans and a bit of savings. I work another job part time too.

I am kind of tired of sitting at a desk and wish I could go back to school, but don't want to spend tons of $$$$ to do it. Tell my buddy who is a UPS'er, he tells me a p/t package handler job could be decent for me. So I look into it. Seems like it takes 1-10 years to drive (he claims 2-4 at the hub I was looking at). So I'm thinking I keep this job, work my 8-4, go work 5-10 (that is what the posting said), hopefully in the future benefit from UPS health insurance, tuition assistance and the sarcasm of my supervisor.

So I work it, take some classes, if I get something better great, if not then drive and become a pissed off curmudgeonly old dude like all my buddies who work there, but at least have some retirement money. My questions:

A. One a scale of 1-Screw you I'm outta here, how bad is the package handler job

B. Is there any flexibility of shifts and days in non-peak?

C. It says 17-20 hours a week on the posting, but postings here in indicate far fewer hours certain times of year.

D. Am I an idiot? (If you say yes, tell me how much of one I am).

Thanks for any input, this forum is awesome.

Box Ox

hopefully in the future benefit from UPS health insurance, tuition assistance and the sarcasm of my supervisor.

Make sure your potential location offers tuition assistance for union hourlies. Not all do. Think we had an idiot on here for a while who got trapped by that, had to go PT sup and thought it'd be cute to troll here because of it.

So I'm thinking I keep this job, work my 8-4, go work 5-10 (that is what the posting said)

5-10PM sounds like local sort (outbound volume). Far better than preload.

So I work it, take some classes, if I get something better great, if not then drive and become a :censored2: off curmudgeonly old dude like all my buddies who work there, but at least have some retirement money.

Don't count on much in the way of retirement. You probably wouldn't go FT until after the next contract is in place, August 2018. Pay and benefits might be slashed for new entrants. And in my humble opinion, the workload is so heavy at some locations that driving isn't a 30 year career anymore. If you can run a rural route the whole time, no problem. 3-4 years to go FT at my center.

A. One a scale of 1-Screw you I'm outta here, how bad is the package handler job

6.5-7 with an occasional 9 for preload. 3 with an occasional 4 for local sort.

Just depends on staffing needs and availability. I took plenty of voluntary dead days off that were offered after sort start, but never knew when they'd be. Other than that, you're needed when you're needed. Stuff's gotta keep moving and there's more coming tomorrow.

C. It says 17-20 hours a week on the posting, but postings here in indicate far fewer hours certain times of year.

I consistently got 25/week in preload. Depends on location.

Maybe, if your body doesn't already hurt and you're living comfortably.

PhatPattheRiverRat

"Don't count on much in the way of retirement. You probably wouldn't go FT until after the next contract is in place, August 2018. Pay and benefits might be slashed for new entrants. And in my humble opinion, the workload is so heavy at some locations that driving isn't a 30 year career anymore. If you can run a rural route the whole time, no problem. 3-4 years to go FT at my center."

So pay and benefits will be slashed for PT/FT both, or part time? I already have a 401k and a Roth I am funding and playing catchup with, so would use this money to fund those anyway.

3-4 Years to drive seems to be the average response. Some have said 2, some 20. I will ask someone at the center to get a slightly better idea I guess. Thanks for the input!

Box Ox

So pay and benefits will be slashed for PT/FT both, or part time? I already have a 401k and a Roth I am funding and playing catchup with, so would use this money to fund those anyway.

It's not a sure thing, but there are typically more concessions to the Company in each contract. You can do both/either a Teamster 401K/Roth 401K through Prudential. Lower fees than Vanguard outside of their Admiral Funds. No company match for union hourlies. I've always maxed an outside IRA first and then adjusted the % for 401K contributions according to my tax situation.

Some have said 2, some 20.

Probably a longer wait at a hub than a smaller center.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Alright, so there are tons of posts which I have read and re-read on here. Feel like I have some decent info, but really want feedback from others on my potential plan.

So I'm 33, I have been a desk jockey for 5 years. Pay is okay not great, health benefits are expensive, I work 8-4 M-friend sitting on my ass. I am getting a bit tired of the job, but am not crazy enough to just flat out quit. I have no kids, a girlfriend but no wife, minimal student loans and a bit of savings. I work another job part time too.

I am kind of tired of sitting at a desk and wish I could go back to school, but don't want to spend tons of $$$$ to do it. Tell my buddy who is a UPS'er, he tells me a p/t package handler job could be decent for me. So I look into it. Seems like it takes 1-10 years to drive (he claims 2-4 at the hub I was looking at). So I'm thinking I keep this job, work my 8-4, go work 5-10 (that is what the posting said), hopefully in the future benefit from UPS health insurance, tuition assistance and the sarcasm of my supervisor.

So I work it, take some classes, if I get something better great, if not then drive and become a :censored2: off curmudgeonly old dude like all my buddies who work there, but at least have some retirement money. My questions:

Thanks for any input, this forum is awesome.
Do you want to end up like this guy?
downloadfile.png

Snack

I'm currently in a position similar to your scenario. I'm 36, no wife or kids, work an office job 8:00-4:00, and then work the night sort from 11:00 to 3:30 on average (longer shifts during peak). I've held down this schedule for 2 years, but I have to admit it can be quite difficult at times. I don't have much time for anything besides sleep and work on weekdays.

A. One a scale of 1-Screw you I'm outta here, how bad is the package handler job?
Once your body adapts, it's really not so bad. For me, the worst parts are: the summer heat, being filthy with a nose full of black dust after my shift, and making small talk with the revolving door of dumbasses that work for a month or two and then vanish. I'm definitely stronger now than when I started, and I'm about 20 lbs. lighter.

In my building, I have a ton of flexibility. My sups know I have a day job, so they cut me some slack on attendance. I return the favor by not running my mouth and being one of the most productive workers on my crew.

C. It says 17-20 hours a week on the posting, but postings here indicate far fewer hours certain times of year.
I typically get 20-22 hours a week. 25+ during peak.

D. Am I an idiot? (If you say yes, tell me how much of one I am)
You're not an idiot. The health insurance is great. Tuition assistance is a hell of a benefit as well, but in my building I think you have to work the night sort to qualify. I'm hoping to become a driver in 2018. I've had enough of the corporate office scene.