Pathetic games of hide-and-seek......

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
(a) Pathetic attempts to "spy" on people do nothing to reduce accident and injury expenses...especially when the people being spied upon were doing the job safely back when the person doing the spying was popping their zits in the mirror in Junior High School.

(b) The money being wasted on paying a management person to drive around and spy on people....could instead be spent on things that actually would reduce accidents and injuries. You could try fixing the dispatch, correcting the bogus time allowances, updating the unsafe package cars that lack power steering, or any number of other bona fide improvements to the equipment or the facilities. The problem with that...is that it does nothing for the job security of the management person who must justify his career by inventing and perpetuating problems instead of solving them.

1) It's not spying, we're very open about it.
2) We all endure things that we see as waste.
3) I agree that more $ should be spent on facility modifications, but I don't think it has to be an either or situation.
4) I think the dispatch and time allowance argument is a red herring. Even with perfect loads and dispatches there would be people not wearing their seat belts, backing into fixed objects, running into basketball hoops, etc.
5) If the accidents went away then a few manager jobs would go away as well. In that sense it is job security, but I'd rather spend my time working on the dispatch.

JonFrum

Raw, this is just wrong. What if a real emergency occurred, and the police were working on this call in instead of being able to get to a real emergency. You may think it's funny, but if a delay like this cost someones life, how would you feel? Or would you just blame the mgmt person for doing their job, which by the way is legal to do.
Why assume that Raw's call to the police delayed their response to a real emergency.

First, the chances of a real emergency occuring at the same time is very low.

Second, there are other police on duty to handle the emergency.

Third, police are trained to break off from a low priority call if a true emergency is announced nearby.

Fourth, there's a 50% chance that the police are now closer to the real emergency as a result of Raw's call, and so Raw would be a lifesaver by your logic. (In the other 50%, where the patrol car is now further away, the rest of the patrol cars would have been repositioning so as to maintain proper overall coverage of the city and maintain acceptable response time.)

Of course, no one should ever call in a false report. That would be wrong, and illegal.

JonFrum

So, since you do so well on your OJS rides, sups should never do an observation, because, as I am sure you well know, no driver EVER runs any different when a sup is on the car from when he is not.

Telematics tells a lot, but it does not tell everything. It would not tell that a driver picked up a passenger and drove around with them for a while.

And finally, management MUST maintain the appearance of even handedness. If your sup follows a slug in you center who does some of the stupid crap that was described earlier, and files the paperwork for a termination, you can bet the union during the process is going to ask to see who else was subjected to observations. Then if as you would like, you were never observed, that will be used as evidence that poor sluggo was being targeted, and would be used by the union to attempt to stonewall the process. Which in turn would wind up costing the company many times more than it would have cost to have the sup do a couple days worth of observations on you.
Huh? If management has evidence that one driver is seriously violating the rules, they are under no obligation to audit all drivers just to be allowed to audit and discipline the one driver they are interested in.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
1) It's not spying, we're very open about it. Well in my area the management is sneaking around and hiding and watching people with binoculars. I dont call that "open".
2) We all endure things that we see as waste. Well maybe if enough smart people in management would grow a pair and stand up and say "this is a bunch of BS"...we wouldnt have to endure such waste.
3) I agree that more $ should be spent on facility modifications, but I don't think it has to be an either or situation. I disagree. We are constantly "crying poor" as an excuse for delaying needed improvements. If funds are scarce, then quit wasting them on useless games and spend them where it will make a difference.
4) I think the dispatch and time allowance argument is a red herring. Even with perfect loads and dispatches there would be people not wearing their seat belts, backing into fixed objects, running into basketball hoops, etc. A sup sneaking around to observe me from a distance isnt going to keep me from hitting a fixed object. And I already have a Telematics sensor in my seatbelt and B/H door. In my case, the sup knows I am 100% compliant anyway...why waste even more money to do nothing but confirm the obvious?
5) If the accidents went away then a few manager jobs would go away as well. In that sense it is job security, but I'd rather spend my time working on the dispatch. And if you didnt have a quota of on-area observations to meet each week...you would have the time and both you and your drivers would be happier.[/QUOTE]

brownIEman

Huh? If management has evidence that one driver is seriously violating the rules, they are under no obligation to audit all drivers just to be allowed to audit and discipline the one driver they are interested in.

you are missing the point. If management has evidence that one driver is seriously violating the rules, when they bring the case before the union, BA, panel, arbitration, whatever, the union, as any good defense attorney would do, will try to bring anything and everything to redirect and obfuscate the issue. They may not win, but anything they can do to drag out the process will require the company to spend yet more resources pushing it forward and costs the company money. More money than a one or two day observation does.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I did this exact thing in Londonderry, NH up near the airport. It must have been my 2nd or 3rd year driving and I was spoken to the next morning about it. They, my on-road and center manager, said that before I call the police next time I should call the center to make sure I am not being followed.....

Yeah, if I think my safety is in jeopardy I will call my center 1st.....clowns

I agree! :happy2:

Matthew

yea I was the first guy in my center to go out with a helper load early peak last year and BOOM the day I go out like that I get my manager and supes following me in the managers car, making sure we are working safely smh its like come on guys I know your cars and I am not stealing company time or anything so just go about your paperwork and get off it already.

If the manager feels I am working too slow he will pop up and watch me for a hour or look @ my load and ask why its still a mess after lunch LOL hmm I wonder why, because I am not a machine I think!
Anyway they can follow all they want, only maybe it will make me work slower :)

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It embarassing as a representitive of UPS when my customers see some clown hiding behind a car watching us. They ask me, what is he looking for? Did you do something wrong? We had a pair of supes stop a driver and the customer came out and said, "maybe you could drop your prices if it didn't take 2 of you to follow a driver around".

rod

Retired 22 years
It embarassing as a representitive of UPS when my customers see some clown hiding behind a car watching us. They ask me, what is he looking for? Did you do something wrong? We had a pair of supes stop a driver and the customer came out and said, "maybe you could drop your prices if it didn't take 2 of you to follow a driver around".

I used to just love it when a good customer would slam management when they rode with me. I think the best one was the day a customer asked my female center manager if she was my mother.:happy-very: My center manager actually got rude with him so he called in a complaint on her. All I know is she never rode with me again.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I used to just love it when a good customer would slam management when they rode with me. I think the best one was the day a customer asked my female center manager if she was my mother.:happy-very: My center manager actually got rude with him so he called in a complaint on her. All I know is she never rode with me again.
Yes my customers love to agitate them. One customer says, "are you training him" I said no hes my boss. When we got back in the truck he says why is it everyone thinks Im a trainee, I couldnt possibly be your boss. I said maybe its that huge chip you carry with you, and the fact that I could be your mother. :happy2:It is not because you are not white, get a grip.